Which 'Best Of' Compilation do you like better?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
oh the cover for 1990 2000 is very bad!

why not put the zootv logo and a popmart arch on the cover?

two bulls fighting WTF!

1990s best off was rushed!very bad track order.
no LEMON or FLY ?

Re: 90-00

gonzo84d said:
the remixes of the pop songs, especially staring at the sun, are infinitely better. the first time i heard that i thought "can this really be the same song?" I realized how unfinished staring really was.

The new mixes are terrible. Staring was castrated, the incredible electric guitar in the chorus was put in the background and the rhythm section was toned down. Discotheque was robbed of its techno/funky soul in an attempt to make it a more mainstream rocker. Gone lost its edge - the addition of Edge's backing vocals is welcome but everything else is worse than the original. At first I liked the new mix of Numb, but I soon realized that the falsetto was part of the character of the song, that by replacing it with the deeper voice, they were lessening the impact of the song, depriving it of that legendary Zooropa spirit, a spirit of obscurity and experimentation.

The new mixes are lesser versions of great songs.

Re: Re: 90-00

namkcuR said:

The new mixes are terrible. Staring was castrated, the incredible electric guitar in the chorus was put in the background and the rhythm section was toned down. Discotheque was robbed of its techno/funky soul in an attempt to make it a more mainstream rocker. Gone lost its edge - the addition of Edge's backing vocals is welcome but everything else is worse than the original. At first I liked the new mix of Numb, but I soon realized that the falsetto was part of the character of the song, that by replacing it with the deeper voice, they were lessening the impact of the song, depriving it of that legendary Zooropa spirit, a spirit of obscurity and experimentation.

:ohmy: :bow: :up: :applaud: ...you could not expres it better than that...

namkcuR said:

At first I liked the new mix of Numb, but I soon realized that the falsetto was part of the character of the song, that by replacing it with the deeper voice, they were lessening the impact of the song, depriving it of that legendary Zooropa spirit, a spirit of obscurity and experimentation.

The falsetto is still there...in fact they added more falsetto than there was before!

namkcuR said:

Bono said they want to have one out mid-late 2006.

Yeah, but he also said in 1993 that he wanted to release another album in 1994, and record it in Japan. Bono changes his mind all the time.

-Miggy

Re: 90-00

gonzo84d said:
the remixes of the pop songs, especially staring at the sun, are infinitely better. the first time i heard that i thought "can these really be the same songs?" I realized how unfinished staring really was.
For the first time I heard those unforgivable bulls**t "new mixes" I thought "Can this really be the same song?" :sad: Today I still can´t believe the way they killed 4 brilliant U2 statements: Discotheque, Numb, Staring At The Sun and Gone :( :sad:

Last edited:

namkcuR said:

Obviously you don't think in the same wavelength as U2. U2 find those mixes worthy to represent their "Best" while you don't. I prefer to side with U2. It's nice to see them do justice to the original versions of those songs and make their full potential be realized.

Cheers,

J

Re: Re: Re: 90-00

jick said:

Obviously you don't think in the same wavelength as U2. U2 find those mixes worthy to represent their "Best" while you don't. I prefer to side with U2. It's nice to see them do justice to the original versions of those songs and make their full potential be realized.

Cheers,

J

Blah blah blah blah oh look jick trying to get a rise out of people again blah blah blah blah

namkcuR said:

I agree with you on all except Gone. It actually has more of an edge because of how the insertion of the piano sets up Edge's guitar that much better, making it even stronger.

Also, the intro is much better, much more forceful, IMO.

Not to mention that Bono's vocal on the Best Of mix is far superior.

Having said that, the other mixes are very, very bad.

Last edited:
Re: Re: Re: 90-00

phanan said:

I agree with you on all except Gone. It actually has more of an edge because of how the insertion of the piano sets up Edge's guitar that much better, making it even stronger.

Also, the intro is much better, much more forceful, IMO.

Not to mention that Bono's vocal on the Best Of mix is far superior.

Having said that, the other mixes are very, very bad.

We'll agree to disagree. I'll take the 'Pop' version any second of any minute of any hour of any day of any month of any year.

I like the 90's remixes.

Numb is actually listenable, more Edge guitars towards the end really help it shine more. The added falsetto and the additional (Larry?) lower voice in the chorus are nice, too.

Staring at the sun - interesting to hear more of Edge's voice in the chorus but other than some added beats, this is the least well done remix. Passable.

Gone is awesome. They got the energy from the live versions in it.

Discotheque has moved on from a pseudo-techno to the rocker it really is, centered around the riff.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
I like the 90's remixes.

Numb is actually listenable, more Edge guitars towards the end really help it shine more. The added falsetto and the additional (Larry?) lower voice in the chorus are nice, too.

Staring at the sun - interesting to hear more of Edge's voice in the chorus but other than some added beats, this is the least well done remix. Passable.

Gone is awesome. They got the energy from the live versions in it.

Discotheque has moved on from a pseudo-techno to the rocker it really is, centered around the riff.

I disagree on all counts. The only thing they got from the live version of Gone is Edge's backing vocals. The rest of it was 'mainstreamed'. SATS - again, they 'mainstreamed' it and the rhythm section and the guitar riff suffered. Discotheque - they tried to make it sound like the Elevation tour performances of it. Not a good thing. Numb - the whole Zooropa album had an experimental spiriti about it and trying to drown out the falsettos by adding in a lower vocal is to deprive the song of that spirit.

What do you think repeating the same thing in a bullying manner will help to achieve?

the 90-00 sham of a best of album is the one thing that makes me want to cry the most when I look at U2s discography. The sad thing is I love 90's U2 the best. The reason I hate it so much is because of my great respect for thier 90's work. This is not the best of that era!!! Half these songs are not even from that era!!! This collection of songs twists and distorts peoples perception of events as they actually happened. It lies and tries to cover up what the band represented at that time. How can you leave out SO MANY key songs from that era?! Why remake songs that are perfectly acceptable in the first place, and replace them with versions that are at best, only as good as the originals and at worst, unlistennable? And who did the track order? Did monkeys pick song titles out of a hat? THTBA??? WHY??? So many songs that were actually from the 90's are left off to make room for this mediocre new song? I do not understand why U2 had to rape my 90's U2 fandom. I just DO NOT UNDERSTAND!

I feel sorry for the kid out there who is just learning about U2 and wants to know what they were all about in the 90's, so he goes and buys this "best of" only to have cheap lies and a false account of history presented to him in a way that is far less grand and exciting than the actual events.

I am getting angry just thinking about it. Its a good thing I like HTDAAB or I might have given up on them.

OK, it felt good to get that out. What do you think the chances of them re-issuing a real best of 90's album someday? I can dream.

Re: Re: Re: Re: 90-00

namkcuR said:

We'll agree to disagree. I'll take the 'Pop' version any second of any minute of any hour of any day of any month of any year.

:up:

Hoodlem you are spot on. I can't understand why they did it and it made me loose faith in them for a time. Its like they were trying to deny what their own songs were and the whole album misrepresents U2 in that era.

Roll on the re-issue!

Hoodlem. Good post! :up: I see you got some weight off your chest like I did a while back.

Think about this:

Did Vincent Van Gogh create The Starry Night only to later go back and add some more touches to it in an attempt to make it better??? No. You don't go back and fuck with your past creation. You just don't.

When you think about it both of the current 'best of's' are quite incomplete. Fancy having 1 track off your first two albums? Sure they didnt sell 20million copies but it is part of the bands history weather they like it or not.

I think of the 2 compilations as 'greatest hits' albums not 'best of's and this is what they should have been called.

I'm hoping one day on a comprehensive 'anthology' type best of that evenly covers their entire career and gives equal weight to ALL albums, like those red and blue beatles compilation albums.

The 2 we have now are rather like the beatles 1 compilation. Not many serious beatles fans would own these as it is just a taste.

BIzza

Re: Re: Re: Re: 90-00

namkcuR said:

As far as the new mixes go, with the exception of Gone, I'm with you.

However, I will take the single versions of LNOE, IGWSHA, and Please over the album versions, and IMO, all three should have been on the Best Of, along with the original versions of Discotheque and SATS, and the remix of Gone.

That may seem like a lot from the Pop album, but take off the ATYCLB tracks (which should have been saved for the next compilation) and it works.

Some funny shit on here from typhoon. Don't own either disc (not spending any friggin' money on "Best of" bullshit when I own the albums, no matter how many crappy B-sides they try to peddle like carnival barkers. I got the good b-sides ages ago on tapes. The final consensus? Both discs are for suckers.

typhoon said:
The Best of 1990-2000 is one of the worst compilations ever.

1) "Electrical Storm" isn't fit to eat the shit of some of the songs it pushed off this album. Not only that, but it has absolutely nothing to do with 1990-2000. Likewise with "The Hands That Built America" (which I forgot was on there until I read tim's reply), which is one of the worst songs they've ever done, ever. I'd rather listen to "Red Light" while someone's smashing my brains out with a brick. I'd rather listen to "A Man and a Woman"--okay, maybe that's taking it a bit far, but it's still not a good song.

2) While "Beautiful Day" and "Stuck In A Moment..." qualify strictly speaking (just barely), they belong on the next compilation. It's obviously supposed to be a nineties compilation. "Beautiful Day" signaled a second drastic change in direction for the band. It's such an obvious dividing point, I'm still totally dumbfounded they put it on the same disc as "Even Better Than the Real Thing" and "Discotheque." The freaking Grammys didn't even consider ATYCLB a proper 20th century release.

2) No "Lemon" or "The Fly" (imports can blow me). "If God Will Send His Angels" or "Please" also belong there, but I can understand their omissions since they weren't huge songs for the band. But for God's sake, "The Fly" broke them into the nineties (the first drastic change in direction) and, also for God's sake, they toured with a 40-ft. lemon. I remember reading an interview where one of the band members said they wanted "I'm Not Your Baby" on there too, which would've been a hell of a lot more interesting than either of the two new songs.

3) The track order sucks.

4) The new mixes suck. I know what you're thinking. "Surely, new stuff is better than no new stuff." No, it's not. I'm a lesser person for having heard them. They eat at bits of my soul. I sometimes wake up in a cold sweat screaming, "DON'T HURT THE BOOM-CHAS, YOU JUST LEAVE THEM ALONE." I have been unable to sustain an erection since hearing the castrated rhythm section of "Staring at the Sun (Total Shit Mix)."

Brownie points for "Hold Me, Thrill Me, Fuck This Ginormous Title," "Miss Sarajevo," "Until the End of the World," "Gone," "Stay," and "The First Time," though. But in all, U2 should've spent more time anthologizing the nineties and less time apologizing for it. I could write pages on the suckitude of the B-sides disc, but I'll spare you.

As for the The Best of 1980-1990:

1) It could've done without the stupid edits.

2) Drop a Rattle and Hum track. I'd dump "When Love Comes To Town" (even though they toured with B.B. King, so it's an important piece of their history in that regard). And move them around in the tracklisting instead of just smooshing them together at the end.

3) How about some fucking October? The hidden track doesn't count. In addition to "Gloria" (gee, think they played that one live a couple of times), "11 O'Clock Tick Tock" is a huge omission. "Out of Control" or "The Electric Co." would've been cool too, but they aren't as important as the other two. In general, there was too much emphasis on their later material. Yes, you sounded like a girl on the early stuff, Bono, but we liked it all the same.

Other than that, though, it's great. The tracklisting is brilliant, particularly the whole arc from "Bad" to "Sweetest Thing." Major, major brownie points for putting "The Unforgettable Fire" on there. The B-sides disc was also extraordinarily good (even if it also had stupid edits). Like, better-than-some-bands'-actual-albums-and-I'm-not-just-saying-that-because-I'm-a-fanboy good. The tracklisting there was also pretty good (even if all the R&H tracks got smooshed together again).

Both had very nice artwork.

:lol:
You sound like Maddox :drunk:

The best of 1980-90 was the first U2 recording I got, so I'm probably biased already.

Putting "Gloria" on it, would make it perfect for me.

Switch the Orbit mix of "Electrical Storm" for the B-side version, and 1990-2000 would be okay, not great, but okay.

Back
Top Bottom