Which albums do you listen to the most?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BANZAI

War Child
Can you rank the U2 albums you have listened to the most and the least? The ranking doesn't have to be a list of your favorite U2 albums. If you can, estimate the times you've listened to the album. I'm also including UABRS, the Best Ofs and U218 Singles.

1. Achtung Baby (500x)
2. The Joshua Tree (450x)
3. HTDAAB (250x)
4. The Unforgettable Fire (200x)
5. Zooropa (130x)
6. Rattle and Hum (120x)
7. Pop (110x)
8. The Best Of 1980-1990 (100x)
9. ATYCLB (80x)
10. War (60x)
11. Boy (50x)
12. October (40x)
13. The Best Of 1990-2000 (30x)
14. Under A Blood Red Sky (20x)
15. U218 Singles (5x)

1. Zooropa(500x)
2. Achtung Baby(200x)
3. ATYCLB (100x)
4. POP (50x)
5. The Unforgettable fire (30x)
6. The Joshua tree (20x)
7. Rattle and Hum (15)
8. October (15x)
9. War (10x)
10. Boy (10x)
11. HTDAAB (0x)

1. The Unforgettable Fire (by an absolute mile; what an album!)
2. The Joshua Tree
3. An unofficial collection of pre-Boy demos and eighties b-sides I have
4. Passengers
5. Boy
6. Under A Blood Red Sky
7. Best Of 1980-1990
8. October
9. War
10. Zooropa
11. Wide Awake In America
12. Pop
13. Best Of 1990-2000
14. Rattle And Hum
15. How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
16. Achtung Baby
17. All That You Can't Leave Behind
1,000,000. U218 (precisely zero times)

xaviMF22 said:

11. HTDAAB (0x)

That explains a lot. :lol:

I have no idea how many times I've heard each one, but here's how I'd rank them, with serious approximations of how many times I've heard them:

1. Achtung Baby (75 times)
2. Zooropa (70 times)
3. HTDAAB (55 times)
4. Joshua Tree (45 times)
5. Pop (40 times)
6. Unforgettable Fire (30 times)
7. Boy (25-30 times)
8. War (25 times)
9. ATYCLB (20-25 times)
10. Rattle & Hum (15 times)
11. October (10 times)

I almost never listen to albums straight through. Everything's on the iPod or iTunes, so it's pretty much playlists and random mixes.

Since I've been a fan since 1983, I'm sure the hits of Boy, War, Unforgettable Fire and Joshua Tree are way up there for overall listens. I couldn't quantify it, but I've listened to those songs so many times over the years.

In the past couple of years, the majority of songs have been from HTDAAB or whichever of the dozens of concerts from different eras I have on iTunes and the iPod. So HTDAAB, the most common concert songs, and, oh, I play my U2 rarities playlist an awful lot.

My most listened to U2 songs in iTunes are Window In The Skies, City of Blinding Lights, Stay, Stuck In A Moment (acoustic), When Will I See You Again from Notre Dame, Miss Sarajevo, Yahweh, All I Want Is You and Elevation (Influx Mix), if that gives you any idea.

let me clarify....I rapidly replied to this thread without actually reading it:drunk:

anyway I thought it was about how much we "presently" listen to those albums.. I haven't listened to HTDAAB in about a year..:drool:

LemonMelon said:

Once again, that explains a lot. :|

I've listened to HTDAAB twice today. :happy:

not really.. I've listened to HTDAAB enough times[most of 2005]
to be able to say that it sucks:shrug:

1. Achtung Baby (500x)
2. Pop (450x)
3. Zooropa (400x)
4. The Joshua Tree (399x)
5. ATYCLB (200x)
6. The Unforgettable Fire (180x)
7. HTDAAB (150x)
8. Passengers: Original Soundtracks 1 (100X)
9. Rattle and Hum (80x)
10. War (60x)
11. The Best Of 1980-1990 (for the B-sides)(50x)
12. War (50x)
13. Boy (50x)
14. October (40x)
15. The Best Of 1990-2000 (10x)
16. Under A Blood Red Sky (5x)
17. U218 Singles (0x)

1. Boy (300x)
2. War (250x)
3. The Unforgettable Fire (210x)
4. The Joshua Tree (200x)
5. Pop (100x)
6. Wide Awake In America (90x)
7. October (80x)
8. HTDAAB (60x)
9. ATYCLB (55x)
10. Achtung Baby (45x)
11. Zooropa (35x)
12. Under A Blood Red Sky (30x)
13. Rattle And Hum (25x)
14. Passengers (20x)
15. Best of 80-90 (15x)
16. Best of 90-10 (4x)
17. U218 (0x)

Who the hell knows how many x but atleast the order is somewhat correct

I have absolutely no idea how to rank these in a "to-truth" way. My U2 listening is usually pretty random.

If I had to venture a guess though, I'd say ATYCLB is my most listened-to. Achtung Baby is probably second, and The Joshua Tree third.

After that I really don't know.

But October and War are probalby my two least listened-to albums. :yes:

mine would be something like:

1. achtung/atyclb
2. zooropa
3. htdaab
4. pop
5. jt
x. war

1.War(100x)
2.Joshua Tree(85x)
3.Achtung Baby(75x)
4.HTDAAB(50x)
5.The Best Of 1990-2000(45x)
6.Under a Blood Red Sky(30x)
7.Wide Awake in America(25x)
8.POP(20x)
9.Boy(15x)
10.October(8x)
11.Rattle and Hum(5x)
12.ATYCLB(Only one time and it was enough ):madspit:

Pop - eleventy billion times
All the other albums - less than eleventy billion times

:wink:

I've probably listened to HTDAAB least, just because it's the most recent and I've had the other albums longer... though I didn't get War and Boy for a long time, and I don't listen to War straight through often.

I haven't even listened to U218 Singles once. don't see a point. I just bought it because I'm a bit of a completist when it comes to U2.

My most listened-to albums:

1. Pop
2. ATYCLB
3. Achtung Baby
4. Rattle n Hum
5. Zooropa
6. The Joshua Tree

7. The rest!

something like that.

1. Achtung Baby (500+ times)
2. Zooropa (500+ times)
3. The Joshua Tree ( 500+ times)
4. Pop (200+ times)
5. Rattle and Hum(100)
6. The Unforgettable Fire (80)
7. ATYCLB (30)
8. Atomic Bomb (10)
9. War ( 5 times)
10. Boy ( 3 times)
11. October ( 3 times)

This is a tough question, because now having aged more than 20 years after having bought my first U2-album (THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE), time in my life is more restricted than ever. So unfortunately there is a growing loss of ability listening to albums again and again - which was kind of normal in the days of good ol' records, before you could easily "skip" certain tracks of your digital data like today. I do miss these days kind of "fighting" with an album, by the way...

1. THE JOSHUA TREE
still is an album sounding perfect. On tape or MD I do listen to it in its entirety. "You can't kill poetry" Bono told us a few weeks ago in Auckland, while performing the album's center song "One Tree Hill". And he is right...

2. ACHTUNG BABY
turned it all around, as you all know. But it also turned it around for myself in having to get used to new sounds, a new decade. First I was shocked (and honesty still I am, when the band crashed in with "Zoo Station" or "The Fly" 2005/06), then I loved it after having learned the album, and what the band needed to stay hungry.

3. POP
is an album, that is so underrated these days - by the band and many fans. This is kind of a shame, because it is neither a mistake nor it needs to be re-recorded. As any U2-album it is a state of its time - and '97 U2 recorded this timeless piece of art: brilliant songs, challenging sounds. It's a whole unit, a statement, a sketch; it touches the heart and is not on the surface at all.

4. HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
finally got away from the super-radio-friendly production of its predecessor; it even has the better tunes, sounds - and is the 4th masterpiece you can listen to as a unit. No failures (except perhaps having erased "Mercy" from the final track list), just differences, just emotions - wow!

5. THE UNFORGETTABLE FIRE
was my first step in U2's world, which has somehow become mine too over the 23 years now. Strange, but true. Songs like "The Unforgettable Fire", "A Sort Of Homecoming" and the more obvious classics ("Bad", Bride) still belong to the best, U2 have ever recorded - please play more from this brilliant album on your next tour!

6. BOY
is an album, that still sounds fresh, perfect. A great collection of songs on the debut - and it was a more than welcome decision to play a kind of mini-BOY set on the 2005 legs of the tour.

7. UNDER A BLOOD RED SKY
belongs to the U2 albums, I also did/do listen to in its entirety. On the other hand it is not a complete concert, only a quick view inside the live atmosphere, the band once had - and might have lost in way, looking at the innocence & spirit of these early days.

8. RATTLE AND HUM
is an affair with dark & bright sides. Now, nearly 20 years after being released, I really have lost interest in the live versions, that do sound dated and surely are by far not the best versions, U2 performed in the JOSHUA times. And the choice of the live tunes is also to discuss. Apart from this compromise, the then new tracks are perfect, fresh sounding - and still belong to the best on the oeuvre. Here too there is a kind of hope, U2 might rediscover tunes like "God Part II" for their live shows.

9. ZOOROPA
Now we enter the field of albums, I do skip certain tunes regularly. Here there are "Daddy" & "Wanderer", where I donÄt like the production and the sound (not the songs/lyrics, I do appreciate). On the other hand you get gems and the sketch of a fast recorded, kind of spontaneous album. Nice, more than that. Yes, my Irish mates, you didn't need always 3-4 years for a new album...

10. ALL THAT YOU CAN'T LEAVE BEHIND
is way of overrated in my ears & eyes. The production of radio friendly hit singles does overshadow the whole album - and so the otherwise genius duett Eno & Lanois didn't achieve another masterpiece. I guess. sadly, because live some of these tunes ("Kite", "Stuck", "Walk On") lift off and show their grandness. Oh, and I fear "Beautiful Day" will become a new staple like "Pride" - don't play it to death, folks.

The other albums have their magical moments & songs, but don't belong to the Top Ten above. I just point out the highlights:

OCTOBER should be appreciated more. There is not only "Gloria". Take "Tomorrow", "I Fall Down" or the breathtaking "October" itself - and you know, what I mean. The record should be represented more often in the next concerts, I do hope. Yes, Bono & Co.: Also younger fans would have the chance to redicover this album, too.

WAR has become represented by the trilogy - but there is much more. Take the rocking "Two Hearts" or the brilliant piece "Drowning Man" - man, how I would live to see it performed on the B-stage...

WIDE AWAKE IN AMERICA is nice, but short. But "Love Comes Tumbling" still belongs to the best ones, as does the re-worked live version of "A Sort Of Homecoming".

PASSENGERS OST 1 is an experiment, even a laugh. But "Miss Sarajewo" and "Your Blue Room" are masterpieces, no doubt.

MILLION DOLLAR HOTEL doesn't do more for me; some nice tunes, mostly very laid back and a joke at the end. "Ground Beneath Her Feet" is beautiful, in its studio & live versions.

BEST OF 1980-90
BEST OF 1990-00
U2 18
are not, what I needed - but I do appreciate the "new" songs on these albums. The last example with "Saints" & the magical "Window In The Skies" dong the most for me. Keep "Window" in the set lists, folks - it will become a live favourite...

Achtung Baby
Pop
Zooropa
Joshua Tree
War
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb
Passengers
Rattle and Hum
Unforgettable Fire
Boy
October

ZOOTVTOURist said:

4. HOW TO DISMANTLE AN ATOMIC BOMB
finally got away from the super-radio-friendly production of its predecessor; it even has the better tunes, sounds - and is the 4th masterpiece you can listen to as a unit. No failures (except perhaps having erased "Mercy" from the final track list), just differences, just emotions - wow!

I wish I had the ability to sig that. :(

Joshua Tree
Achtung Baby
All That You Can't Leave Behind
How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb
POP
Rattle And Hum
The Unforgettable Fire
War
Boy
Zooropa
October

most listened to ever ? probably JT, but I don't keeo track

most in th elast few years/these days ? - Pop , so much more depth than the last 2

Tricky this as I have had many different favourites over the last 20 years or so of being a U2 fanatic and it's impossible to even guess at how many times I have listened to them all, but for the top five at least in must be at least a thousand times each. Recent albums will suffer a bit because being older now, with a wife and mortgage etc i don't have enough time to listen to them as much as I did to their predecessors when I was a teenager etc. However, I doubt I would have listened to ATYCLB or HTDAAB as much as Achtung Baby, even if I had all the time in the world now.

1 Achtung Baby- God Knows how many times, must be in the 1000's, my favourite album of all time

2 The Joshua Tree- This and the Unforgettable fire were the albums that got me into U2, my years at high school were made so much happier because of these records, they gave sme so much hope strength and inspiration. Again, it must be in the 1000's

3 The Unforgettable Fire 1000+

4 Zooropa- the same as for many others, it took me a while to get into this, I loved Zooropa, Stay and the Wanderer immediately, but the rest took a while. 1000 +

5 War- lthough this is no longer one of my favourites, it was when i was at school when I must have listened to it hundreds of times, unlike now, I haven't listened to it in over a year. 800+

6 October- I acknowledge that technichally it isn't one of their best works, but there is something about the raw emotion, the heartbreak of tomorrow, the sublime love of God in Scarlet, the pounding of corrugated iron in I threw A Brick and the thrilling joy of Gloria, again, this was a teenage staple of mine and got me through a few rough times 700+

7 Passengers- This album is one that I play at night, late at night. I'll often leave it on quietly as I drift off to sleep. It is the album I play most these days. 650+

8 Boy-600+

9 Pop- I liked the album a lot more than I liked the tour, which for me paled in comparison to the almighty Zoo TV. Wake Up Dead Man and Mofo are 2 of U2's finest. 600+

10 Rattle and Hum- i was hugely disappointed by this wehn it came out , I loved Desire but hated the live stuff-other than Bullet-and really didn't like When Love Comes to Town, but then I fell in love with All I Want is You, then Heartland, God Part 2, Angel of Harlem.... 600+

11. ATYCLB- As i said at the beginning, I don't have the same amount of time to devote to albums these days as I used to so this and HTDAAB have not been listened to as much as the others. I doubt though that I would have listened to them as often as I did to Achtung Baby, had they been released when I was younger.

12 HTDAAB

As for the greatest Hits, I may be the only one but I actually quite like the 1990-2000 one and have listened to it quite a bit, same goes for disc 2 of the 1980-1990 G Hits. U218 though hasn't been purchased and never will be.

1. The Joshua Tree - 1000's of times probably. Between 1987-1992 I bet I listened to it a couple times a day.
2. Achtung Baby - Not much less, though for a shorter time frame. If I've listened to TJT 3000x, I've listend to AB 2000
3. Wide Awake In America - The Prequel for me to TJT. I remember the opening of Bad playing on my dad's truck stereo and I just sat there and listened and listened. Once the newness of TJT wore off, it was Wide Awake that kept the momentum going. Bad was the only live song I had ever heard at the time that I thought was better than the studio version. Probably close to 1000.
4. The Unforgettable Fire - Repeated back to back listens between 1987-1990. Easly well above 500x
5. Rattle & Hum - Grew on me in the intervening years between JT and AB, and got a lot of listens. I still return often to the studio track and live tracks separately in iMixes, but never as a whole album. Around 500x
6. HTDAAB - When that first came out I listend to it 4 times a day minimum. I still come back to it Probably approaching 500x and should get to the Achtung range with time.
7. War - Wasn't a big fan, but I find I listen to it more now then when I first got it in 1987. Under 500
8 & 9. October & Boy - when I was exploring their back catalog for the first time was when I listened to these most. Under 400
10. UBRS - Loved it; it was a complation that had all the early good songs. This was in the day where the only mix tapes were crap. It didn't last though and I never listen to it anymore the songs in various mixes.
11. Best Of 1980's - Listened to it a lot at work the year it came out. Not much since. Under 200
12. ATYCLB - Beautiful Day & Walk On can compete with Achtung at least for number of listens, but the album as a whole got few listens. Probably in the 100 range
13. Pop - wore off fast, though I've come back to it a time or two. Proabably pretty close to ATYCLB though I listen to the individual songs less. Under 100
14. Best Of 1990's - Not much use for this other than E Storm. Under 50
15. Zooropa - Absolutely aborred this thing. I've come back to Stay, Zooropa & Some Days many times, but as a whole, I bet I've listened to the album maybe under 15 times; and I bought it the day it came out.
16. Passengers - As a whole? Once; the day it came out.
17. U218 - never. In the day and age of the iPod and CD burners, there's really no point; other than the new songs which I frequent often, and the DVDs which I love.

Last edited:
- October
- All that you can't leave behind
- U2 18
- The Unforgettable Fire
- Joshua Tree
- Zooropa
- Achtung Baby
- Rattle & Hum
- Zooropa
- the rest

My Last.fm profile says: