Which album or tour made you get into U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Which album or tour made you get into U2?

• 1976 - 1979 Early Irish Shows

Votes: 1 0.9%
  • 1979/1980 U2-3 & 11 O'Clock Tick Tock

• 1980 Boy

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 1980/1981 Boy Tour

• 1981 October

• 1981/1982 October Tour

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • 1982 Pre War Tour

• 1983 War

Votes: 9 8.3%
  • 1983 War Tour / 2nd Leg @ Red Rocks Amphitheater

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • 1984 The Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 3 2.8%
  • 1984/1985 Unforgettable Fire Tour

• 1986 Amnesty International Gigs

• 1987 The Joshua Tree

Votes: 11 10.2%
  • 1987 Joshua Tree Tour

• 1988 Rattle and Hum

Votes: 7 6.5%
  • 1989/1990 Lovetown

• 1991 Achtung Baby

• 1992/1993 Zoo TV

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • 1993 Zooropa

• 1995 Original Soundtracks No. 1 [Passengers]

• 1997 Pop

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • 1997/1998 Popmart

• 1998 The Best of 1980 - 1990

Votes: 6 5.6%
  • 2000 All That You Can't Leave Behind

Votes: 17 15.7%
  • 2000 ATYCLB Promo Tour

• 2001 Elevation Tour

Votes: 5 4.6%
  • 2002 The Best of 1990 - 2000

Votes: 8 7.4%
  • 2004 How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb

• 2004 HTDAAB Promo Tour

• 2005/2006 Vertigo Tour

Votes: 2 1.9%

• Total voters

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
I know this question has been asked several times before but this time I'm making it a poll with all the albums and tours listed. Please think hard and vote accurately! I'm curious to know how the distribution is like. :)

2000 All That You Can't Leave Behind, after discovering u2 i discovered music.

Never was really into music before i got into u2.

Still love that album.

i knew of them durring the joshua tree era, but i was 7 so what the hell did i know

i had a copy of achtung baby i made from the cd that my neighbor had... i liked it, but i wasn't nutso about them or anything... 11-12 years old, just starting to get into different types of music really

pop was the first u2 album that i bought on the very first day it was out... it was the second u2 CD i had owned (after achtung baby). i listened to nothing else for like a month straight... i think rattle and hum was the next one i picked up, then joshua tree and zooropa, and so on and so forth. by the end of high school i had every album, which is right before napster time so was pretty tough to do.

and now i'm a psychopath. thanks pop... thanks a lot. :mad:

:eeklaugh:

Okay, who voted for the early irish shows??? Fess up! :p

vaz02 said:
after discovering u2 i discovered music.

Never was really into music before i got into u2.

That's awesome, vaz!

U2vertigofly said:
i don't know how to answer,

Sunday bloody Sunday performed at live aid got me into them at 2004 HTDAAB :huh:

Then you would simply go with the year!

First got into them in 1989. I was 9, and just discovering music. I became a fan in 1998, around the time the Best of 1980-90 was released.

Okay, anybody that votes for either the early Irish shows or the U2-3/11OCTT shows has to give a full account of their concert experience! Doesn't have to be too long... just something believable. :grumpy:

Go on Chizip. We're waiting.

The Best of 90-00 introduced me to the band in '02, but Achtung Baby and The Best of 80-90 a few months later sealed the deal.

Ah there's no Live Aid listed. Even though I'd heard them before that day, it was that performance that actually got me to buy my first U2 album.

I guess I'll choose the Conspiracy of hope gigs then-That was the first time I actually watched/listened to something New from them while i was a fan.

Edit

Or should I choose UF tour, since live aid was only a week or two after the last concert of that tour
:scratch:

Zootlesque said:
Okay, anybody that votes for either the early Irish shows or the U2-3/11OCTT shows has to give a full account of their concert experience! Doesn't have to be too long... just something believable. :grumpy:

Go on Chizip. We're waiting.

where to start, where to start...

ah yes, April, 11th, 1977, those were a simpler times. instead of the constant go go, instant information society we live in today, people were able to slow down and enjoy the finer things of life, like a good U2 show.

ill never forget my first show at St. Fintan's school in good ole Dublin. U2 were still using their original name, Feedback, back then. Fronted by a young, but cocksure Bonovox, Feedback blasted out such hits as Show Me the Way, Johnny B. Goode, Peaceful Easy Feeling, Suffragette City and more.

The Edge was really on fire that night, and the two female backup singers, one of which played flute, complimented the rythmic stylings of an afro'd Adam Clayton and babyface Larry Mullen Jr perfectly.

I was instantly hooked, and made me the fan I am today. Though it's been all downhill from then.

Last edited:
I'm not going to vote because I can't give an answer for this question...
The first song I fell in love with was "Stay", but it was several years after its releasement, and at the time I wasn't properly in love with Zooropa.
But it wasn't a tour or an album that led me there, because becoming was a progressive and slow process.

I discovered U2 in 1995 when I was studying for my A levels. There was a random cassette left in one of the edit suites for my Media Studies class and it was The Joshua Tree. I took it home to listen, with the intention of bringing it back to school, which I did, but after I copied it:)

I had always been aware of U2, particularly in 1987 when I first saw the video for I Still Haven't Found What I 'm Looking For and then videos of U2 on TOTP when The Fly got to No1 and Stay got to No2/3 in the charts in 1993.

It was in 1995 that Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me was released and I bought that and really liked it (one of my favs). I then decided to borrow some of their albums from the local library and then as I grew to like them more and more, proceeded to buy each album with the Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby and War the first three. I had everything by the time Pop came out in 1997, including Passengers.

Last edited:
11 o'clock Tick Tock did it for me, a friend of mine had it on when I went to her flat and I was hooked! They played in Hull and I was away on Holiday bloody typical!!

First I saw of them was a clip of the superbowl - WTSHNN and Beautiful Day.

I then checkedo ut some other songs and bought the ELEVATION DVD - I then decided I lvoed it

But I then found my fave album and tour was the Zoo/ Achtung Era

So I am unsure what really made me lvoe them - but the superbowl was where i first took notice so probably ELEVATION tour era I spose.

I saw a 30 minute special on the Best of 90-00 on some tv station in 2003... decided to check out some more stuff and found the Slane Castle DVD. What's odd tho is that the gig which got me hooked on U2 is probably my least favorite commerical live release now.

The Joshua Tree

I was seven when it came out, so it's not like it really struck me right then and there. But the songs stood out to me and hung with me as a kid. When I turned 11, Achtung came out. Hearing One, WGRYWH, EBTTRT, I was astounded at how unique and powerful Bono's voice was. I got my first CD player that same year. Even though it was AB that made me first recognize U2's greatness, it was JT that I bought first, because it was the Holy Trinity that I grew up with.

2000 All That You Can't Leave Behind

My father gave it to me on my birthday... Since then I bought a new U2 album each three or four months. Then came the DVDs. This was the first band that I fell in love with. And since there is no love like the first one... Anyway, since I start listening to them the more I listen the more I like them...

crazy ATYCLB is leading and it gets bashed a lot here.

i came in at Elevation Tour 2001. Always been a casual fan of u2 since i can remember, back when i was 7 and the Joshua Tree came out.

But that tour, seeing them live, made me a diehard

Became a fan 1996-97 with Boy (my first own U2 record) and later Pop. I had heard War, TUF and JT earlier for many years because my brother had them. My brother then got Boy, wich he at first didnt like so I bough it from him and listened to it like crazy.

Well. A picture from Popmart and the first couple of tracks from Actung Baby got me interested, but Joshua Tree sealed the deal in 1998.

Guess I'll vote for Popmart, tho.

Back
Top Bottom