Which Album Is More Underrated?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Most Underrated U2 Album?

• Rattle & Hum

Votes: 22 17.3%
  • Pop

Votes: 76 59.8%
  • ATYCLB

Votes: 29 22.8%

• Total voters
I think every U2 album after and before the Joshua Tree are underrated. Joshua Tree although being a fantastic album, is considered the U2 masterpiece because it was so widely accepted. The lead up albums to the Joshua tree are what got U2 noticed and got people to listen to what U2 had to offer when the Joshua Tree was released. After the Joshua Tree, well people were complaining that it wasnt as good as the Joshua tree, even though much of the music afterwards was as good, if not better.

U2 releases come in fours.

Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree
Rattle and Hum
Get flamed by the media.

Achtung Baby
Zooropa
Pop
Get flamed by the media

ATYCLB
Bomb
?
Get flamed by the media

Lets see if history repeats itself.

Here, definitely ATYCLB.

Overall in U2's community, I'd say Zooropa.

Interesting post, Sken. I do think that if U2 does another "let's sound like U2" album, they will get backlash. (personally, I think the producers had a lot to do with that - no Lillywhite and Eno/Lanois for a while, please)

That said it's interesting to compare a "big" U2 album with its follow up. I think Bomb is the first time they outdid a famous and succesful predecessor.

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:
In the overall U2 fan community, Pop. Just on Interference, ATYCLB.

Why isn't October on this poll...? October is possibly even more underrated than Pop...

I agree with Atomic Bono. October would get my vote. I like just about all of that album, something I can't say for War.

Where is HTDAAB?

Most of you guys seem to dislike it, when imo, its actually a very good album. There are several sketchy lyrics in a couple songs (Vertigo/Original of the Species) but other than that, I really like it.

Rattle and Hum. This was my first U2 album that I bought back at the beginning of 1989 so this was my introduction to U2 and their music and therefore has a special significance for me and I've always been surprised by the harsh criticism it reseaves, even now, from both music critics and U2 fans.

I think Pop was the most underrated album of all time in history of the whole damn musical history of musical albums of all time in the history of popular musical history of POP! So it gets my vote then!:wink:

Also...where is Achtung Baby??? Some members on here think that album is just fantastic whereas it is actually absolutely awesomely fantastic which makes it even more underrated then any of the aforementioned albums mentioned in the list thereof!

Definately all three are underated. Most undeservingly would have to go to Rattle and Hum.

Rattle and Hum's up there with 'Joshua Tree' and 'Achtung Baby' for me. It really has some classics on it:

All I want is you
Heartland
Hawkmoon
Angel of Harlem
Desire

ATYCLB is the most underrated here as most of you fail to realize that it's one of the band's best.......

And likewise, a lot of you fail to realize that POP is one of their worst, so I'd say that it's the most overrated album here.

BigMacPhisto said:
ATYCLB is the most underrated here as most of you fail to realize that it's one of the band's best.......

And likewise, a lot of you fail to realize that POP is one of their worst, so I'd say that it's the most overrated album here.

Well you and I may completely disagree on these two points, but hopefully we can at least agree that October and Zooropa should be on this list to be fair to the voting public here? :wink:

Zooropa was so of-the-moment, but went unrecognized by the masses when it was released. And October was slammed but it is still relevant today.

u2girlcj said:

Well you and I may completely disagree on these two points, but hopefully we can at least agree that October and Zooropa should be on this list to be fair to the voting public here? :wink:

Zooropa was so of-the-moment, but went unrecognized by the masses when it was released. And October was slammed but it is still relevant today.

Agreed. October is their hidden gem...

definitely october. but since that wasn't an option, atyclb. it's not a masterpiece, but doesn't deserve all the shit it gets around here either.

Back
Top Bottom