Which Album Has The Best Bono Vocals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
coolian2 said:
No, lets.

:laugh: You're such a predictable bastard that I knew you'd say precisely that even before the thread had loaded. Complete with the grammatical error. :wink:

For me, they are all good and Bono has had different strengths and weaknesses throughout. He is not better or worse now than at any other time, just different. If I have to choose, it goes like this:
1.)Rattle and Hum
2.)Joshua Tree
3.)HTDAAB- His voice easily sounded the best it has since the late 80s, with the added technical ability and control. Like Peterr said, cant wait for the new album!

LemonMelon said:
The point he was trying to make is that the guy who said that was obviously not a regular and would have no idea how often coolian utilizes sarcasm. Besides, it wasn't terribly obvious to me, and is a mistake U2 n00bs could actually make, which is why it was so clever.

Agreed! Once upon a time I used to wonder too why "Bono" sounded so different on VDL so I can see somebody thinking coolian really thought so.

For me, it's a draw between UF and ATYCLB-present. Bono's voice on UF has this otherworldly golden glow to it, minus the overbearing gosh-I-feel-so-strongly-about-everything pomposity that crept into some of his performances on JT and R&H. And I really love his later-day voice, what it lost in power it gained in character IMO.

Even though its one song (and not a u2 album) have to throw a very special christmas in there haha...Baby please come home is definitely one of his best. ever.

Gonna Run 2 U said:
Even though its one song (and not a u2 album) have to throw a very special christmas in there haha...Baby please come home is definitely one of his best. ever.

I fully agree with you. BPCH is one of the best things I've ever heard and Bono's voice on this song is simply incredible. :)

ultraviolet92 said:
i reckon his voice is at his absolute peak at this concert-
east rutherford new jersey giants stadium
1986-06-15

his voice is at his absolute best at that concert and he will never sound like that again

http://www.u2start.com/bootlegs/1986-06-15/East Rutherford, New Jersey - Giants Stadium/

That show is amazing in the view of voice :drool:

But I can't say its the best because we also got:

1989-10-20 - Sydeny - Bad
1989-12-26 - Dublin - show
1992 ZooTV shows
1995 Modena One
2005-07- Modena shows Miss Sarajevo
A Few Vertigo Bad
Vertigo Japan shows
And the Union chapel show

Gonna Run 2 U said:

Oh yes, one of my faves too, plus In A Lifetime and Night and Day is as good as it gets for me!
In terms of albums it has to be the unforgettable fire and Joshua Tree.

NAD is the best cover ever made.

Wild Irish Rose is another one, the deep sound of Bonos voice is :drool: But one of his deepest vocals ever must be Dying Sailor To His Shipmates, what a powerful low deep voice.

Peterrrrr said:
NAD is the best cover ever made.

Wild Irish Rose is another one

The unreleased U2 song entitled Wild Irish Rose is not a cover of the song My Wild Irish Rose. It's a U2 original.

Is that one officially credited to U2 ?
I always thought it was just Bono and Edge.

*edit* On second thought, that is my favourite Bono voice - Night and day/Wild irish rose. You can hear the AB gravelyness entering but he still soars as anything in the 80s.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
Is that one officially credited to U2 ?
I always thought it was just Bono and Edge.

Well, it's technically not credited to anyone! It was presented, without introduction, in some documentary and Bono spoke over one verse about it; otherwise it's wholly unreleased and uncredited. But clearly Adam and Larry would be in it. Unless Edge learnt to play drums or something!

I've never seen any insinuation that it's not U2. In the part where Bono speaks, he refers to it being written when "we", i.e. U2, were in LA.

There's a whistle-playing guy in the video for the song that isn't anyone in U2...maybe "we" means "me and Edge".

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom