Where's the Edge?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tenacious_b

The Fly
This album makes me want to cry. Four fricking years and this is what they come up with. U2 is my favorite band of all-time and always will be, but I feel like album is nothing but a finely polished turd. Where are the rock songs that Bono talked about so much? There is no edge to HTDAAB! Where's the Edge?

My only hope is that these pirated copies of the album are unfinished versions. The only songs I really like are Vertigo and Miracle Drug. The rest are way below average. Perhaps I'm being premature, but it's going to take A LOT of listens to start to like this album. What a downer.

Someone tell me that the pirated tracks are not the finished tracks that will be on the album. Please...someone...anyone....

Have you only listened once? Even if you have, I'm surprised this is your reaction. Edge is prominent in pretty much every track from start to finish. I'm wondering if you're hearing the low quality MP3s through low quality speakers/headphones or something. I honestly can't believe any U2 fan would have such negative feelings towards HTDAAB.

WTF? Did you download a different album?

Go get your hearing checked.

huh? Edge is awesome on this record. Am I listening to something different?

Yeah, I need to listen to the album a few more time. I'm sure I'll listen to it a 100 more times -- it is a U2 album afterall. I'm just not feeling it yet. I think it's just that after Vertigo I was expecting something different. Something that really rocked.

I'm also a big fan of lyrics. There is a line in Miracle Drug that really gives me chills, "Freedom has a scent, like the top of a newborn babies head." I don't know what it is about that line, but it's great.

It's funny because there are few songs on this record where Edge is actually playing 'rock' guitar(in parts). I was just a bit surprised by that statement. Some of the songs aren't as rocking as others but there is rock guitar on this record. My mouth actually fell open when I heard it! Yay! ------->:edge:

Last edited:
You have to think, as well, about the qualities of Edge's guitar. It's just as much about atmosphere (which this album has in spades) as it is about volume (which I also believe it is not lacking, look at Vertigo, CFYT, LAPOE, and ABOY). But I think it captures the scope of the edge's guitarwork through the years.

Last edited:
tenacious_b said:
I think it's just that after Vertigo I was expecting something different. Something that really rocked.

Yeah, ABOY and LAPOE sound so much like 4th Of July. What was I thinking, saying that they both rock?

Okay, perhaps I jumped the gun. I absolutely love Miracle Drug. I just wish every song on the CD grabbed me like that. It's an expectations problem I believe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom