Where were you when it happened?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sledgehammer

The Fly
I was in the car listening to JT when I turned on the radio and listened to a journalist talking about a plane crash in the centre of NYC. I thought it was an accident or something... I wish it was only an accident.

------------------
"I'm not afraid to die, I just don't want to be there when it happens", Woody Allen

I was at home. I had just gotten up and my mom asked me if I knew what was happening. I didn't so she filled me in. I proceded in watching it on TV and being late to work.

Well, I suppose I was sleeping. But didnt hear about it until I came into work and my boss told me. I almost had a coronary. I couldnt believe it.

------------------
Religious Nuts, Political Fanatics In The Stew
Happily Not Like Me And You
That's where I lost you....

Sicy's Website

At a hotel in Cincinnati, OH on a business trip. Saw the second crash into the WTC live. My mom then called my cell crying because I travel alot and she wasn't sure where I was this week. I love my Mom.

Paul

I was enjoying a "lap-dance" from an underage stripper with tattoos.LOL

Seriously, My Ex called me up 'babbling' about exclaiming, "Dave,Dave, is this the End of the World!? Please tell me cause I know youve read The Bible cover to cover twice...
I then quieted her,and proceeded w/my own "diamondinvestigation" clicking on CNN w/my remote....Db9

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

I was sleeping when my mom came down to my room and started banging on the door saying
"they're bombing New York, they're bombing New York!, Hurry!!!"

I was so out of it, hung over. Grabed a pair of pants and ran upstairs. I looked at the TV and was in uter shock. I then had to go to the washroom. When i came out and sat down the second plane crashed. I just sat there stairing at the TV speechless!

------------------
Running to Stand Still-"you gotta cry without weeping, talk without speaking, scream without raising your voice."

"we're not burning out we're burning up...we're the loudest folk band in the world!"-Bono

I had gotten my kids off to school when my brother who listens to the radio every morning called from his room "Did you hear about those planes hitting the WTC?" I thought 'what a weird accident" and turned on the news...and I THOUGHT I FELT SHOCK ...I THOUGHT I WAS FEELING EMPATHY...but I wasn't. I'm afraid it was a bit ...out there and far away.

Then without warning the camera cut away to a picture of the Pentagon in flames. We knew what it was at once...I thought they were bombing DC... That is practically right next door...I know kids whose parents work there...then I FELT TERROR! I FELT SHOCK!

You have to understand I grew up with a cold war childhood...DC was there on the edge of things ready for an attack...and I had nightmares about it...all those nightmares were now coming to life..
Fortunately for us...it didn't get any worse here...and I only felt a tiny fraction of what the people on the front lines felt.....but nothing will ever be 'out there and far away' again...

dream wanderer

I was at college in my Microsoft Excel class.

------------------
Trust In God...But Lock Your Doors

I took a day off and went to Providence from Boston to check out the Dunkin Donuts arena/center where U2 will play . Suddenly i got 6 calls on mobile with "these" news and also when i came out on providence train station , feel of the New upcoming War was in the Air .......

frown.gif

frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif

I had stayed up unusally late Monday night, and when I woke up after sleeping in for a looong time, the phone rang around 11-something. I assumed it would be a friend of mine, but it was my Mom. A call from her in the middle of the day is highly unusual, and as I sat there in bed, she told me what had happened. I remember this feeling of extreme anxiety as my body was flooded with adrenliene as I ran out to the living room and watched footage of the World Trade Center burning and collapsing on TV for the next 14-15 hours.

I went to drama class and soon after, the teacher was called away for a phone call. We did a warm up without her and when she came back she seemed a little shaken and said that her son called to say that he was OK, he was working in the world trade centre and flew out of New York that morning as the sun was rising, his apartment was across from the WTC... the details we got from her were pretty sketchy, basically something about terrorists, planes and a burning trade centre. We were all pretty shocked but went on with class, although in our drama room there is a window where I could see in the history office a variety of teachers watching TV with very solemn faces. I knew something was up so at lunch we went to a friends house and watched CNN. In the last 2 classes we just watched CNN for the whole period.

I have the afternoon shift at the newspaper i work at, being a college student, naturally woke up around 12:30 PST. I turned on the TV just cause i like just getting abreast of the news when I wake, and saw the picture of one tower left standing, in their replay. I was really confused, the shot was across from a park, and it only being the one tower then, i thought it was just a highrise fire. then i proceeded to find out what happened...

I had just walked back into the office from going to court to file an eviction and they had the radio on...it was right after the 2nd plane hit TWC. We spent the rest of the day just sitting around in shock and watching the TV.

i was in Boston. i had been visiting some friends there over the weekend and had planned to drive home Tuesday morning. They had gone to work, i had packed my things and was ready to leave. Just before leaving, around 10:00am, i sat down in front of the tv with my breakfast. i turned on the tv and it was all fuzzy; the channel wasnt coming in very well.the news was on and i could just barely see the Twin Towers with smoke coming out of them and the caption below read 'hijacked planes hit twin towers, pentagon.' i couldn't believe what i was seeing; it looked like something out of a comic book.

[This message has been edited by grace (edited 09-14-2001).]

At home, got an email from someone saying the WTC had been hit by a plane. Turned on TV, saw 2nd plane hit. Saw 1st tower disappear into a cloud. Thought to myself, "um...did that tower just collapse?"

I was at work, getting ready to go home. Someone had a news ticker running and told us that a plane had hit one of the WTC towers. I immediately went to cnn.com (before it went down) and all they had was a picture with no text yet. Well scary! Then everybody barged into the CEO's office to watch CNN.

I was in the shower when Tower 1 fell. Tower 2 fell just as I loaded up my car for school. The DJs on the local radio where talking about how the WTC just collapsed and they were commenting on it. Of course, I thought it was a joke taken waaay too far, that is... until they cut into the live CNN feed.

Woke up, my roommate says "Dude, both World Trade Center towers just collapsed after being hit by hijacked planes." It all happened just as I was awakening. I was completely shocked, angry, and sad all at once. Skipped my classes that day to watch the events unfold. Simply unbelievable...

------------------
Change is the only constant

When it actually happened, I was asleep!

When I heard about it, I was entering the computer Lab in School, and they had a TV, showing the Towers on fire! I was like WTF is going on?!?!?! And I just stood there is disbelief!

------------------
~*Everybody's talkin' about POP Musik!*~

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica* .???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

I was fast asleep!!!!!!!!!....

My phone rang at 5am but I didn't answer it. Then about an hour later it rang again and it was my mom, kinda frantic saying"turn on the tv, turn on the tv we are being attacked!" And I was like"hold on, hold on I'm not awake yet..ok ok I am going down stairs...*rubbing my eyes*...then OMG!
And there we were, me and my hubby, in shock, in front of the tv til late that nite.

Let me back this up by saying, I live in Hawaii so we are 6hrs behind the east coast(so it was only 2:45am when it happened).

My hubby is active duty, in the Navy(I know you all are thinking of that village people song, 'In the navy' LOL
wink.gif
)..And is based on Pearl Harbor. So he was unable to get on base for all of tuesday and most of wednesday...Security is soo tight on both the navy base and the air force base here. They are checking everyone's id's and thoroughly inspectiing cars coming into the base with K9 dogs on almost every car. It's gonna be like this for a indefinite period of time..
frown.gif

Well, thats my story..

Peace...on Earth all!!

------------------
If you twist and turn away
If you tear yourself in two again
If I could, yes I would
If I could, I would
Let it go
Surrender
Dislocate

I was at school. Some people were saying that there was a crash at the World Trade Center and that it deeply affected the USA.

I said to myself: Oh no, it's 1929 again! All stocks are going down!

They didn't mention planes yet!

Then, a friend of mine came with his walkman and told me what happenned (I couldn't believe they got the Pentagon too).

Finally, they put a TV in the hallway and in the library; everyone was watching.

They even closed a few schools near mine (I live in Canada, just across the river from Ottawa).

I couldn't believe it!

I was on the computer! I had checked in on Interference for a minute and saw the thread about the plane, but I thought it was just a tragic accident. Then my brother called me from work and told me, and at that point the first tower had collapsed. I got chills starting from my head and creeping down my body. I turned on the TV and was overwhelmed by the inbelievable horrific stories and pictures. The world will never be the same. I was shocked and stunned and when I thought of my friends in NY I started to cry. I went to the schools and got my kids. They were letting them go because there is such a heavy military presence in this area. My husband works for the shipyard. My son had been on a major twin towers kick and I had told him he had his whole life to see NYC and the towers, I had no idea they'd be gone so soon in such a disasterous way. He always looked at webcams of NYC and monday night had printed out a pic of the towers' Last Night on Earth. It's weird to look at it now, almost ghostly. It turned out my friend who worked in the WTC was home sick and I was so relieved! I am sad for all the victims who were wasted in this unspeakable tragedy.

I was at work, had just pulled up my internet home page and saw a pic of the first WTC bulding. Fleetingly thought, man that pilot must have had a heart attack or something. Then minutes later the 2nd one hit, and that is when the WTF is going on thought started. Then the Pentagon, OMG WTF is going on???
Where I live is in the neighborhood of a nuclear assembly, disassembly facility,... so until they had announced that all air traffic had been halted... lets just say myself and coworkers were wondering if our last breath was about to be taken
frown.gif

(wondering if the nuclear plant was a target for a plane crash)

I was....watching telly...Rove Live when at about ten o'clock a news flash thing come across the bottom of the screen saying 'an aircraft has flown into the World Trade Center-details at the late news' then they had another segment of the show, and they they just went automatically to the news. At first I just assumed that a plane had accidentally crashed into the building, but then they showed the footage and it looked so deliberate. It was weird but I didn't freak out straight away... sort of delayed reaction I guess. Then as everything unfolded I was just sitting there stunned. I remember I ran upstairs into my mum's room ( she was sick and went to bed at about 8:30 ) and said " mum are you awake?" She told me to bugger off but I said " mum planes just went into the WTC and the whole thing collapsed, and one went into the Pentagon and blah blah blah" and she was stunned. I ended up watching the news till 1:30 in the morning. It wasn't until I was driving to work that day that I bawled in the car coz people were talking about it on the radio. A lady rang up and said " what's going on, how can someone do this, how am I going to tell my kids, etc." It just made me unbelievably.....sad.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom