Where was U2-3 recorded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MixingBliss

The Fly
I'm looking for a definitive answer on where the first release was recorded. Many of the pre-Boy compilations out there ("Shadows and Tall Trees," "Contract Demos") indicate it was recorded at Windmill Lane. That seems unlikely, though, because the band was signed only to CBS Ireland at that time. I thought they didn't use the high-end Windmill Lane studios until they started recording for Island, starting with 11 O'Clock Tick Tock.

Any help or insights would be appreciated. Thanks.

Hello,

I believe the location is Windmill Lane. In U2: The Complete Encyclopedia this is also the location given for the recording. It says furthermore that the recordings were initially meant to be just a demo, however they decided to release it as a single.

C ya!

Marty

Interesting. Okay, that resoves it. Thanks.
Speaking of demos, does anyone out there know about the material in "Street Mission"? There's demo recordings of Out of Control, Stories for Boys and Boy/Girl (tracks 2-4) listed as demos, then there's the tracks from U2-3. I can't tell a difference when listening to these tracks, and I don't recall ever hearing of a previous demo session when these were recorded. Any insights?

Ah, so they are different. What is it that sounds different between the demo and produced versions? I think I remember "Out of Control" sounding more polished, but "Boy/Girl" sounding identical.

Back
Top Bottom