Where is ABs weak point?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sperber

Acrobat
I?m listening to this masterpiece once again and I love it! But I?m trying to figure out what may be the weakest song of therecord. Is there any? Or maybe some of the lyrics are S$%&! Highly unlikely, I know! So tell me, do you think AB has a weak point?

------------------
beLIEve

I am not a fan of Tryin to throw your arms around the world. I guess I think the lyrics are pretty weak, I tend to skip right on over that song. I am not the hugest fan of AB in general so maybe all the people who love it will have better answers.

I know many have expressed a dislike for WGRYWH...that's one of my all-time faves though.

I think it's mostly a matter of opinion.

------------------
"Hallelujah, Heaven's white rose,
The doors you open...I just can't close..."

I've never liked EBTTRT.

*don't kill me!!! argharghargh
biggrin.gif

I knew the answers would shock me...

but your answer Don Vito is absolutely wrong. And you know it
mad.gif

OK, I know that my answer will step on some person't toes, but I never liked Ultra Violet that much (and I still don't like it). So, that one and WGRYWH.

C ya!

Marty (who still considers AB as his favourite U2 album)

------------------
People criticize me but I know it's not the end
I try to kick the truth, not just to make friends

Spearhead - People In Tha Middle

There are no weak songs on AB. Period. I've been listening to the album since 1994, and it still strikes me what a masterpiece it really is.

The only bad thing is that I'm sure the lads won't make such a fine album again. They've tried but failed every time...

------------------
"There are only two ways to live your life. One is though nothing is a miracle. The other is though everything is a miracle". - A. Einstein

My two least favorite songs are So Cruel and TTTYAATW.

But I think the weakest point of the album is the track order. I've always felt One was out of place. I would put it after WGRYWH. And for the closing of the album I would have made the order Acrobat - Ultraviolet - Love is Blindness. I think Ultraviolet into Love is Blindness would sound much stronger. While Acrobat is a great song, I don't think it feeds off the vibe of Ultraviolet well enough to follow it.

Still, though, AB is my fave album. Ever.

------------------
The Irish been coming here for years. Feels like they own the place.

All That You Can't Leave Behind is my album of the year! :p

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

Originally posted by Sperber:
I knew the answers would shock me...
but your answer Don Vito is absolutely wrong. And you know it

Haha, I knew you would post anything like this!
wink.gif

------------------
Take the money and run

I really don?t understand why most of you would say that TTTYAATW is the lowest point. To me this song is so loaded with emotion and respect and love. This is the song I turn to when I feel bad and need to be cheered up.

------------------
beLIEve

I usually skip over So Cruel and Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World. I realise the importance that those two songs have with the story being told on the album, but they are not among my favorites.

AB is my favorite U2 album and I don't think there is a weak point...at all. Last semester in my intro to popular music class, I wrote a paper about U2's transition from JT to AB, and then I had to write an album review on AB. After listening to the album about 5 times in a row and trying to get the heart of each song down in my review, I was Emotionally Worn Out. Seriously.

AB is amazing.

------------------
You're taking steps that make you feel dizzy
Then you get to like the way it feels

Originally posted by ~LadyLemon~:
AB is my favorite U2 album and I don't think there is a weak point...at all. Last semester in my intro to popular music class, I wrote a paper about U2's transition from JT to AB, and then I had to write an album review on AB. After listening to the album about 5 times in a row and trying to get the heart of each song down in my review, I was Emotionally Worn Out. Seriously.

AB is amazing.

I agree, AB is the best and there are no weak points. I LOVE So Cruel!

Her skin is pale like God's only dove
Screams like an angel for your love
Then she makes you watch her from above
And you need her like a drug...

Her heart is racing, you can't keep up
The night is bleeding like a cut
Between the horses of love and lust
We are trampled underfoot

Perfection! Sorry, I just love those lyrics
smile.gif

------------------
Get your head out of the mud baby...

All our songs are about God or women, and we often get the two mixed up.--Bono

My strongest trait is curiosity, I'm just lifting stones, you know, opening doors. Looking out windows, around corners, up skirts...--Bono

For a while I didn't like Arms Around the World, but now it's one of my favorite songs. Achtung is easily U2's best album, I don't really see how that's debatable. It would be cool if the guitar bit a the end of Love is Blindness was longer like it was on the ZooTV tour, and the Elevation Tour version of the Fly is in some ways superior to the album version, and the line in Wild Horses: 'can we still be friends?' kind of bothers me. But those are really minor things. U2 have made many different albums, but they've never made one as great as Achtung Baby.

------------------
Children by the millions sing for Alex Chilton

TTTYAATW--and it's a big one, in my opinion.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...

Achtung Baby is perfect

does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...does not compute...

Who's gonna ride - Ultra Violet
except for The Fly

------------------
Salome
Shake it, shake it, shake it

U2's second masterpiece is flawless. There are no "weak" points at all. I think the term "weak" does not fit well with the Joshua Tree or Achtung Baby. If you would like to know a "low" point (considering the term "low" may still refer to a high point on the album, but just not as high as the rest of the album), then I would say "So Cruel" is the one part that is lower than the rest of the album.

You lose yourself in the scope of songs 1 to 5, only to feel cheated a little during song 6. When the Fly begins, all is forgotten. Then your back on that cloud from song 7 to 12.

Why do these records have to end? Why!?!

Love is blindness has always been a piece of shite as far as im concerned!
smile.gif

------------------
"PLEBA Mansion Bootler"

"Lemons, the chicks- they love the lemon"
-Bono in Rotterdam-

"Proud member of the U2 gender"

I always thought that "Zoo Station" is a pretty boring rocker and the least exciting U2 album opener, so for me AB starts off with a whimper rather than a bang. And I find "Love Is Blindness" and "So Cruel" very tedious.

I think without a doubt it is "Whose Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses?" I say this for much the same reason that I think "Wild Honey" is the worst song on ATYCLB: because they are too easy. Don't get me wrong, I really like both songs a lot, but I really feel these are easy songs for U2 write. The earlier incarnations of Whose Gonna Ride... on the Achtung Baby Outtakes (Salome Sessions) are better, IMO, than the finished product.

Also, I feel people that sited Tryin To Throw You Arms Around The World as the lowpoint of AB are also peple who musn't have seen it live. First, I love that song. Second, the live performance was incredible, and brought even more out of the song.

[This message has been edited by ultraviolet353 (edited 03-04-2002).]

[This message has been edited by ultraviolet353 (edited 03-04-2002).]

ultraviolet353, I saw TTTYAATW live in person 7 times and I STILL say it is the weakest track on the album. I'am not saying it is a bad song, it is just the weakest on Achtung Baby IMO. Just like I think Trip Through Your Wires is the weak point of JT. I like the song though, but I think it is the weakest on that album.

As you can see by this thread it is completely subjective. So Cruel is probebly one of my favorite songs on AB and some of you have listed it as the weak point. Actually that is what is kind of cool about AB. Everyone seems to take something different away from it. THAT is the mark of a masterpiece IMO.

ACROBAT

good lyrics, bad guitar riff and melody. The rough version on the Salome Outtakes is more satisfactory.

------------------
"You gotta put the women and children first, but you've got an unquenchable thirst for New York..."

Originally posted by elevation:
There are no weak songs on AB. Period. I've been listening to the album since 1994, and it still strikes me what a masterpiece it really is.

The only bad thing is that I'm sure the lads won't make such a fine album again. They've tried but failed every time...

bingo.

Back
Top Bottom