Where Did U2 Visit While in Memphis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LarryMullen's POPAngel

Blue Crack Distributor
I'll be up with the sun, I'm not coming down...
I know they were at Graceland and Sun Studios, but does anyone know where else they went while they were there during the JT Tour?

I'm going to TN tomorrow to visit friends for the weekend (no forum for me-
eek.gif
!)and I figured while there I might as well take a U2-inspired tour of Memphis.

Any suggestions? Ideas? Kisses for me before I go?
wink.gif

------------------
Fan named Matt (as a fellow fan prepares to take a picture of him with Larry): "You know Larry, I'm a drummer in a band too."

Larry (looks at fan and shrugs, smiling pleasantly toward the camera): "Well, Matt, we all have our problems."

~*April*~

(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

Those are the only places I know of...

Have a great trip and be sure to hit some blues clubs on Beale St!!!!!!

*kisses*

P.S. Tell Elvis I said hello

------------------
And if you dance then dance with me...

[This message has been edited by ~LadyLemon~ (edited 11-07-2001).]

*smooches to you*

Have a great time!!

------------------
"I'm staring at the sun, not the only one who's happy to go blind..."

Hey! Have a wonderful time!

I know they visited the Peabody Hotel. You can go in there - ride up to the roof and see the ducks. It's a pretty good view of downtown Memphis from the roof, and a beautiful hotel.

Also, they visited Riverside Park, and the hill off of Riverside Park down toward the river - but I wouldn't go there by yourself. Not the best part of town - certainly not at night.

Here's some suggestions for you (from me, not U2 - I'm from Memphis...)
1. Eat barbque at The Rendezvous. Best ribs in the south. It is downtown - if you are asking anyone local they'll know, but if you look it up in the phone book you need to ask for Charlie Vergo's Rendezouv. Get the ribs. Mmmmmmmmmmmm.

2. Go over to mud island - it's kind of cool, has little museum and a replica of the Mississippi. I also like to just sit there and watch the river traffic go by. You can also see the riverboats while you're down there.

3. Memphis has quite a few cool museums - the Pink Palace, Dixon Art Galleries, Brooks Museum. There is also the National Civil Rights museum which is where Dr. King was killed.

4. For nightlift - Go to Beale Street. Great music, fun stuff - especially on the weekend. BB Kings usually has good music. You can pick up a Memphis Flyer (free alternative press) that will list all the live music. Also, the Cooper-Young district has come up in the past few years as a cool trendy spot with unique dining and coffee shops.

If you go to Graceland, prepare yourself for "cheese" and lots of 50-60ish overweight women screaming...
wink.gif
No really just be careful around Graceland, because again, it isn't the best part of town.

Have a great time!
Peace

------------------
She's gonna dream up a world she wants to live in / She's gonna dream out loud.
Visit my web page at www.u2page.com

Didn't U2 hitchhike 'round those parts?

April...whatever ya do...do NOT hitchhike!

You never know where psychotic cookie manwhores are lurking...
biggrin.gif

Have fun, girl!!!
smile.gif

------------------
"I don't know you,
But you don't know the half of it..."

Awww, Bonochick, I was kindda counting on getting around that way!
wink.gif

Any more suggestions anyone? Kisses?
smile.gif

I am so excited! I can't wait!

------------------
Fan named Matt (as a fellow fan prepares to take a picture of him with Larry): "You know Larry, I'm a drummer in a band too."

Larry (looks at fan and shrugs, smiling pleasantly toward the camera): "Well, Matt, we all have our problems."

~*April*~

(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

Remember to stare at Elvis' grave (ala Larry) while the opening of "Bad" plays in your head. I've only watched that sequence about a thousand times!

Have fun!

April, don't forget to slide down the hill on your butt, and then stare off into the sunset over the Mississippi River like Edge did! (with your Walkman playing "Heartland" of course)

Heh...50-60 year old overweight women screaming for Elvis...what a crack up. Think that will be us for U2 in a few years???
biggrin.gif
(eek)
eek.gif
Just the mental picture kinda scares me...

HAVE A BLAST, APRIL!!!! (we expect piccies!)

Disco

Thanks!
smile.gif
Believe me, Disco, I've been playing R&H in my stereo all morning on the way into work. lol

I just have to remind myself not to think of what my best friend in high school used to say at that part of the movie when Larry is looking at the grave (and you get that nice arse shot):"He's got a wedgie!!!!"

eek.gif

Originally posted by Discoteque:
Heh...50-60 year old overweight women screaming for Elvis...what a crack up. Think that will be us for U2 in a few years???
biggrin.gif
(eek)
eek.gif
Just the mental picture kinda scares me...
Disco

Yes.
biggrin.gif

------------------

I figured Crzy4Bono would reply to this thread. But, Crzy4Bono, don't you think it is inappropriate to advertise a barbecuse joint, which serves meat, on a U2 forum? I know that Memphis is "all about ribs" and such, but sometimes we shouldn't promote the inappropriate attractions of such a place, especially knowing U2's stance on the subject.

Originally posted by U2Bama:
I figured Crzy4Bono would reply to this thread. But, Crzy4Bono, don't you think it is inappropriate to advertise a barbecuse joint, which serves meat, on a U2 forum? I know that Memphis is "all about ribs" and such, but sometimes we shouldn't promote the inappropriate attractions of such a place, especially knowing U2's stance on the subject.

tongue.gif

Bama you're such a wanker sometimes.
wink.gif

Pay no attention to the republican behind the elephants... if you're in Memphis, you gotta eat ribs.

Peace

(now, where's my steak?)

------------------

Ditto to everything Crzy4Bono said! I used to live in TN, about an hour from Memphis, and she is right on about the ribs at "Vous"...two enthusiatic thumbs up! And it is pretty centrally located to Beale and the Peabody! If bar hoppin' is your thing then I suggest the bracelets on Beale, you get free drinks and no cover to most of the bars if your buy a wristband...atleast that's how it was when I was there about 2 years ago. One of my favorite quotes about Beale St. was from a man in one of the bars, he had just finished his blues set, and we were all just milling about and I was telling him how I was totally vibing on the atmosphere down there, if you've been, you know what I am talking about, you feel like you've stepped back in time as soon as those first haunting notes fromt he steel guitar hit your ears...anyway...sorry I was getting lost in the memories...and he looked at me and said "Imagine if this was your music, your soul, if you were Black for one night on Beale Street, you would never want to be white again." Oh PopAngel...can I come with you! Remembering has made me sad to go there again! Sorry for the rambling, I know this wasn't too helpful...

Blues Fishy <><

------------------
Fishy
The Bedazzled Merch-Maid and Fashion Chair of Orgasmatron
and
The Original Hot Potato of LAYS

We're off to see the Wizard, the wonderful Wizard of Oz, we hear he is a wiz of a wiz if ever a wiz there was, if ever-oh-wehver a wiz there was the Wizard of Oz is one because, BECAUSE, because, because, BECAUSE...Because of the wonderful things he does!

[This message has been edited by FishNeedsABicycle (edited 11-07-2001).]

Check out Lansky's at the Peabody Hotel. They have a guitar on the wall signed by U2(it was there about 6 months ago). Check out the Center for Southern Folklore. It is off of Main at the Peabody Center(You might have to ask to find it). They have down home cooking, good Music on Friday's and Saturday's and you might find out things about the south that you might not know.
A block off Beale is the Gibson Guitar Factory. They have a cool museum called theRock 'n Soul. Ask for Raiford's Hollywood,also. It is a fun dance club and is a Memphis experience you won't forget.

[This message has been edited by redmikeu2 (edited 11-07-2001).]

I leave in less than 24 hours-woohoo!

biggrin.gif

------------------

~*April*~

(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

Thanks everyone for all the great ideas! My poor friends, they think I'm only coming to visit them!!! lol (Nah, they know of my obsession with music so it's cool.)

Whoever said the thing about the wristbands and the bars-you are my kind of person! lol

------------------

~*April*~

(AIM-POPLemonGirl)

Back
Top Bottom