Where are the rocking tunes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Wowy23

The Fly
I understand that U2 has always infused us with beautiful ballads, such as Wowy but how can Stuck in a Moment be a greatest hit? I just hope they never do this song live ever again. Although, "Electrical Storm" and the "Hands that Built America" are not bad, I don't see myself jumping into a frenzy if and when they do either of them live. U2 is a Hall of Fame band, but noting what Bono said," Do you know what the most dangerous word in the vocabulary of any musician is? Interesting. Like when somebody comes up with an idea, and everybody else says, 'That's interesting...' We don't want rock n' roll to be interesting. We want it to be extraordinary". In my opionion, I haven't heard anything NEW that is extraordinary but then again who am I to critique the greatest band in the world. I just hope they have more rocking tunes in store for us because I need one just about now!

We don't want rock n' roll to be interesting. We want it to be extraordinary". Bono, Propaganda Issue#33.

I hesitantly agree.

Some of my favorite rockin songs:

I will follow
Pride
Wire
In God's Country
Desire
Streets
Bullet the blue sky
Mofo
Elevation
Beautiful Day
Spanish eyes

I probly forgot some but yeah I like practically everything U2 does but I do hope to hear a good old fasioned rock song come out of them soon.

Elevation, New York, and most recently, the "rock" version of Electrical Storm are the most rocking things I've heard from the band. I just wonder why they chose to release the more subdued and mellow version of Electrical Storm for commercial release though.

I dont know why some people are getting so desparate for rock tunes.All U2 albums after War with an exception of Rattle and Hum had 4-5 "rock tunes" only. I think Electrical Storm single version is a legitimate rock song so you guys should be happy for a while.

As for "extraordinariness", it takes time, it never happens with a click for U2. A repeated listening and inspired live performance adds that extraordinariness to these songs.Its like creating a monster, first create a body and then put a life into it only then it becomes something extraordinary.

Personally though, dont take Bono word for word.

I do see your point. I like both the new songs, but realistically they will probably be (and almost have been) forgotten. :sad:

Electrical Storm almost sounded a little bit...held back or something.

My sister is a big U2 fan (tho not as big as me) and likes the new songs, but said, "nothing they've done lately has really HIT me; I haven't been able to say I LOVE that song!!" I had to agree. We both agreed the last rockin' hit was (IMHO) Beautiful Day.

Yeah, both two new songs probably won't be remembered as much. But really, why place so much significance on either? "Hands" was done for a soundtrack and "Electrical Storm" is a token new song done for The Best Of so that people have a nice little extra. They were hardly meant to be earth-shattering. Personally, I'd save the expectations for the new album.

I for one hope they go completely and utterly NUTSO for the next album:D If there is more than 3 slow songs/ballads I may indeed not like it:ohmy: I may even not buy it:no:
Ah now, c'mon U2, giza few feckin rockin numbers! Boy meets Achtung Baby meets Joshua Tree for the next album please!

oh come on guys, dont make the precious little girls at pleba mad...

stuck in a moment is such a "sweet song." its so sweet...

ah...it sounds just like a little baaaabeee...:cute:

atyclb was a very pretty album.

lets not bash u2, come on guys. this is a forum for crying out loud, how dare you say anything bad about them.

:cute:

Zoomerang96 said:
lets not bash u2, come on guys. this is a forum for crying out loud, how dare you say anything bad about them.

:cute:

Hey now, that's not what I meant at all by what I said...(see the "wtf?? now they changed lyrics in mysterious ways!" thread for more details) I just meant that not EVERYTHING we say should be negative, we should try to be as positive as we can. Hey, I've got gripes about some of the stuff the band does too (EXHIBIT 1: Death of the Boom-Cha). Hell, I even despise some of the shit they've done (Remember the Miami fiasco back in late August/Early September? I like the song now, but I still loathe Stuck In A Moment). But I don't just post about what I don't like. I try to keep as positive as I can. That's all I'm asking for. I'm not saying you can't criticize the band or you have to love every single note of every song. I'm just asking that we don't focus on what we DON'T like about U2's music, but let's focus on what we DO like instead. That's all.

PS: To the Wanderer, if you read this, I'm sorry for the way I yelled at you, I was just pissed at the time. You have a right to your own opinion, and I never meant otherwise. See above for my explanation.

Zoomerang96 said:
atyclb was a very pretty album.
people are posting shit about U2 here for weeks and weeks in a row now

if I was to believe this forum U2 are the biggest bunch of has been sell outs ever

finding a positive post about U2 in Everything You Know Is Wrong is about as hard as finding a post from you that amuses me
and that's not because every Interference member thinks that way, but because 80% won't even post in here anymore because of the negative shit covering 95% of this forum

so don't start posting crap about how you aren't allowed to say what you want about U2 in here

Salome said:
but because 80% won't even post in here anymore because of the negative shit covering 95% of this forum

:yes: :yes: :yes:

Sometimes I do a double-take and wonder, "Hmmm...Is this a PRO-U2 forum or an ANTI-U2 forum?" It's gotten pretty scary here lately, imho...

Back
Top Bottom