"When you get to the top of the mountain" verse

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LyricalDrug

Rock n' Roll Doggie
Okay, I take back everything I said bad about 'American Prayer' in that other thread. I watched the American Idol version on youtube, and while most of the song was average (at best), the final melody ("When you get to the top of the mountain / tell me what you see / When you get to the top of the mountain / remember me") is AWESOME. It sounds like the chorus to a long-lost classic U2 song. It's big, soaring, and catchy.

Is that part on the original version of 'American Prayer'? The only other version I've heard of the song was a live track, at the Nelson Mandela concert, and it didn't have this part.

Here's the American Idol clip. The "top of the mountain" climax kicks in at 2:15.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=zuXZud2Sb3k

^ Cool. That's just a great comment by Bono. It's funny, when I first watched the song, I was only half paying attention until they got to that final chorus. And then, wow!

Imagine how great that would sound if U2 played it live, with Bono leading a crowd sing-along during the "remember me" part.

:drool:

Aygo said:
"American Prayer" has, whether you like it or not, beautiful lyrics, representative of another reality than ours.

Have to say, I dont like the tune, it is very cheesy, but the lyric did seem to catch my attention. Not often that happens to me. maybe it was because the toon was so naff that i then looked to the lyric to compensate, so ad have something to like about it, given the bono link.

600px-Swiss_cheese_cubes.jpg

LyricalDrug said:

Is that part on the original version of 'American Prayer'?

Yes, it is in the original. They (Bono & the kids choir) repeat the "remember me" and one of the kids from the choir sings a little solo part over top.

gman said:

Is this the pic that inspired Bono and Dave Stewart to write An American Prayer????????????/:wink:

almost. dave and the b-man were sitting down at the kitchen table enjoying some cheese and crackers, which inspired them to write that song.

then dave left, and bono returned to the kitchen and noticed that dave was a bit of a sloppy eater, and had left a shit load of crumbs on his table.

thus a second song was born.

Headache in a Suitcase said:
then dave left, and bono returned to the kitchen and noticed that dave was a bit of a sloppy eater, and had left a shit load of crumbs on his table.

But Ali was one step closer to the table.

OH NOES!

Was this the time when Ali was complaining about the mess Bono and Dave made, so contemplated banning the then regular cheese and wine parties coz of the mess, but decided not to coz she realised SOME DAYS ARE BETTER THAN OTHERS regarding the CRUMBS ON THE TABLE and that that day had been a particulalry DIRTY DAY

almost. dave and the b-man were sitting down at the kitchen table enjoying some cheese and crackers, which inspired them to write that song.

Then, to clean the table, Bono grabbed something that is normally utterly useless - a CD of JT - to scrape the table clean. Finally, a JT CD had some reason for existence. :D

gman said:

Have to say, I dont like the tune, it is very cheesy, but the lyric did seem to catch my attention. Not often that happens to me. maybe it was because the toon was so naff that i then looked to the lyric to compensate, so ad have something to like about it, given the bono link.

Can't find "American prayer" cheesy:|

I wish Bono could take that "if you get to the top of the mountain" chorus, and make it into a new song. American Prayer is kinda "meh" to me overall, but I just lovvvve that ending part.

Maybe he could just add it as a snippet at the end of the live version of "Window in the Skies" on the next tour or something...

:drool: :drool: :drool:

LyricalDrug said:
I wish Bono could take that "if you get to the top of the mountain" chorus, and make it into a new song. American Prayer is kinda "meh" to me overall, but I just lovvvve that ending part.

Maybe he could just add it as a snippet at the end of the live version of "Window in the Skies" on the next tour or something...

:drool: :drool: :drool:

Gr8 idea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

There is another version asdie from the live Nelson Mandela one which does not have that end to it.
I have both versions and I don't like the live one but I do like the other one which I think they were planning to officially release.

fca780 said:
oh come on, it's cool, it's like you come to me saying that "how long to sing this song" is a cheesy part in 40...I mean, it's just amazing with the context it's put in...both kinda biblical I think too...
-FCA

dude... not even close. i don't find "how long to sing this song" to be cheesy whatsoever.

when you get to the top of the mountain?

cheese%20bra.jpg

dude... not even close. i don't find "how long to sing this song" to be cheesy whatsoever.

when you get to the top of the mountain?

It's not that far off from "I have climbed the highest mountain," lyrically...

Back
Top Bottom