When will they officially announce the new tour?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ZOOTB

Acrobat
That is the real question. Then all the hype will really begin. My guess would be in January. This is when they announced the Elevation tour. I could be wrong but if I remember correctly it was something like Jan. 18th. Then I had to wait 6 agonizing months for the show.
Hence another question. Do you think they should announce and sell tics so far in advance or wait a couple of months before the shows? I like the idea of knowing early but the long wait for the actual show kills me.

The album will be announced before the tour. Depending on when the album is released the tour probebly wont be officially announced until after the album is out. The only exception to this was Popmart because the album was delayed so heavily. I remember buying tickets for the shows before I had the new album. My guess is the announcement will come in March or April, but you will hear alot of semi official news about it prior to that.

Of course this is all under the assumption that the album is on schedule.

I imagine that if the album is released in early march (which is the absolute latest they can release it while still beginning the tour in may), then the tour dates will be ANNOUNCED shortly before, in February sometime. Just to get people talking. Then after the album's release, they'll put the tickets on sale in early march. They should begin with arenas in the US in May. Two months is plenty of time for most shows to sell out. Most of the elevation tour was sold out in less than a month.

I imagine that we'll first hear news of the first single in November. It'll probably be released in January.

discothequeLP said:

How do we know this? Did I miss some news or something?!

As previously stated, Joe O'hearily mentioned the tour would begin in either May or September. Somebody in the "Where the album has no name" forum said that Paul McGuiness said that the tour will begin in the U.S. next summer. So May sounds about right.

And about beginning in arenas in the U.S., just let history judge. They will always begin in the U.S. Now it's rumored that they'll do a stadium tour, so they usually do an arena leg in the U.S. first to see if the demand is strong enough to support a stadium tour. They did this in Joshua Tree and Zoo TV tours. They did not for Popmart, and the results were not good. And on the Unforgettable Fire tour, they came to the US first and did some theaters before coming back to do arenas. So if there is a stadium tour (which seems to be the unofficial word) they'll probably do an arena tour first. Even a short one.

Back
Top Bottom