when/why did you discover U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Initial Attraction Period: All That You Can't Leave Behind, Late Summer 2000
Song: Beautiful Day
Reason: The Top of The Pops performance on top of the Clarence Hotel. I saw all the people on the street looking up and thought wow that is mega cool.

Insane Worship period: Late 2001 after downloading the R&H version of Sunday Bloody Sunday.
Song: Sunday Bloody Sunday [Live from Rattle&Hum DVD]
Reason: The monologue in the middle about the bombings was stunning and gave the whole song such depth. It is to me the best ever version of this song. I immediately told my best friend, and proceeded to download more live U2. I then bought Boston DVD, and listened to it on minidsic every morning to school.

I was probably about 14 and my buddy had the Live Under a Blood Red Sky album which I really got into--Sunday, Bloody Sunday, Pride, New Year's Day, Party Girl, etc.

Then when Joshua Tree came out a few years later I was really hooked. My interest faded in the 90's but came back strong with the last two albums and the rediscovery of some of their old, good stuff I kind of missed the first time.

Era: Post Zoo, Pre-Pop

Song: Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me

I had heard The Fly and Mysterious Ways from a friend of mine in the 4th or 5th grade. I copied the songs onto a tape and listened to those songs nonstop for about a year. A year later, I heard HMTMKMKM on the radio and learned that it was on the new Batman soundtrack. Bought the soundtrack, then bought Pop, etc.

twochordcool said:

Yes, 38, mature, but with a self-confessed low tolerance of idiocy.

Because "0wn3d" or any variation of it is such an intelligent and smart post. :rolleyes:

Getting back to the actually topic at hand. I'm pretty young and I really didn't like music, or care to buy it til I was in High School which was a little before the time of ATYCLB probably between it and Pop. So you could say I started there, because my mom bought the ATYCLB CD when it first came out and we listened to it on the way to Vegas it was incredible. So I was definitely hooked hardcore since then.

But probably when I think of it, techinically I've known U2 since birth or pretty close to a few years after because I remember it during the LoveTown-AB days when my parents were possibly going to get divorced and my mom always listened to her JT tape in the kitchen. I can remember hearing with or without you at a young age and etc. So I guess I was introduced to U2 at the period from LoveTown-AB 1990 :D

catlhere said:
Because "0wn3d" or any variation of it is such an intelligent and smart post. :rolleyes:

I believe it is legitimate UK slang English and accurately described what I did to that guy - without rehashing everything! (which I'm not allowed to anyway - Sicy said so!)

I'm trying to build my reputation around here!

:)

twochordcool said:

I believe it is legitimate UK slang English and accurately described what I did to that guy - without rehashing everything! (which I'm not allowed to anyway - Sicy said so!)

I'm trying to build my reputation around here!

:)

First of all, I make too much money for you to "own" me, or even come close to matching my income.

Second, for other fans (besides you), who haven't seen an Unforgettable Fire Tour T-Shirt here it is, from 1985.

I also have a lot more to say to you and about you, but I will comply with the Mod.

Oh, and if you have such a low tolerance for idiocy, removing the mirrors from your dwelling would be a good start.

Last edited:
Era: The Joshua Tree

Song: I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

When I was really young, say 6 or 7, my dad just got a new sound system in the house and the first song I heard on it was ISHFWILF.

Then I saw the Superbowl performance and knew that these guys weren't your average rock band. :)

ntalwar said:
First of all, I make too much money for you to "own" me, or even come close to matching my income

I'm so impressed.

As if you know how much or how little I earned, as if I knew how much or how little you earned, OR as if I even cared.

:rolleyes:

ntalwar said:
Second, for other fans (besides you), who haven't seen an Unforgettable Fire Tour T-Shirt here it is, from 1985

And you can still acquire one of those on the internet if you look hard enough.

ntalwar said:
I also have a lot more to say to you and about you, but I will comply with the Mod. Oh, and if you have such a low tolerance for idiocy, removing the mirrors from your dwelling would be a good start.

Let it go man - I wrote facts and you wrote stupidity and in the end you're just upset because people here can see the difference.

Just be sure that you know what you are talking about the next time you accuse someone of being a racist.

:lol:

twochordcool said:

I'm so impressed.

As if you know how much or how little I earned, as if I knew how much or how little you earned, OR as if I even cared.

:rolleyes:

And you can still acquire one of those on the internet if you look hard enough.

Let it go man - I wrote facts and you wrote stupidity and in the end you're just upset because people here can see the difference.

Just be sure that you know what you are talking about the next time you accuse someone of being a racist.

:lol:

Yeah, me and about 5 other people.
Next time you be more careful too when generalizing about ethnic groups (not one but three).

You let it go too.

ntalwar said:
Yeah, me and about 5 other people.

Next time you be more careful too when generalizing about ethnic groups (not one but three).

You let it go too.

And like I said before, not only won't I, but, I SIMPLY CAN'T be SO sensitive that I throw common sense out the window - it's just not in my nature.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom