When were the new POP BEST OF mixes recorded?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
No sessions. They weren't re-recorded, just re-mixed. So it was just the mixer and the studio masters with all the different takes and he mixed them. Nothing new there really.

Cheers,

J

Gone and Discotheque different vocal takes (if I'm not mistaken), and SATS also sounds different vocally, this may be a different vocal take too. Drums are different in SATS. Guitar is different in Gone. Edge's vocals are in Gone It all had to be recorded sometime.

I know for sure that these are definitely not just remixes of the same tracks.

Maybe when they recorded ES and Hands? That seems to make the most sense to me.

The new mixes of GONE and DISCOTHEQUE were simply EXCELLENT!! Beeeeeeeetter than the original version!

But the new mix of STARING AT THE SUN sucks, it sounds like acoustic and it sucks a lot. I always skip this song.

I must be retarded but I could never tell the difference between the Gone mix and the original....I need to listen to Pop more! :reject:

I'm glad they kept the siren-sounding guitars at the beginning and the end of the new mix of "Gone".

I like the "Gone" and "Staring At The Sun" mixes.

The "Discotheque" ones are okay, but I do miss the "Boom-cha" bits.

And I am glad that they didn't alter Bono's voice at all on the "If God Will Send His Angels" mix, 'cause I like the way he sings that song (and while it's still kinda weird to me to hear that song with a dance beat (just 'cause I've always felt that songs that aren't meant to be danced to should, for the most part, be left alone when it comes to mixes)...it's warming to me).

Angela

Last edited:
Different vocal takes but all from the actual POP sessions. I doubt if U2 actually re-recorded a lot of stuff during the making of the best of compilation. They all got it from alternate vocal takes and guitar takes from the POP session, although I vaguely remember something about them re-recording a portion of Gone - not sure. Someone please confirm.

Cheers,

J

It was a crime to remove the "boom-cha"s from Discotheque. The remix of Gone is fantastic, but although the remix of Discotheque is good, without the "boom-cha"s ... it just doesn't feel the same. And SATS is definitely worse on the Best Of. They shouldn't have touched that.

I'm fairly certain Edge mentioned in an interview that he recorded some new guitar parts for Gone and Numb, but he didn't mention where.

Also Edge's backing vocal must have been recorded for the new mixes, or taken from a live version, because they were not meant to be on the originals.

If I'm not mistaken these were remixed (and the vocals were re-recorded) last summer (June-August of 2002) in Dublin. I'm almost certain the vocals were re-recorded because Bono doesn't hit the high note at the end of "Gone".

I belive that J is correct however I remember Bono did do work on Gone and that Edge did some vocal work with Gone and Staring at the sun. Other songs were reworked as well but weren't put out..(aka Playboy Mansion (Hands that Built America mix) and Stay (which they re-worked but they like the original version better).

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom