When was the last time you listened...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rafiennes

Refugee
...to One?
The version from the Miss Sarajevo single.
The one with the orchestra.
The one that builds and builds into an amazing crescendo.
When was the last time you listened to it?

Been awhile?

Go now. Listen...

amazing

22/9/06, 1:00 am. Gotta love iTunes.
Back in the day, when this came out, I had to copy it to tape to listen in the car. My tape skipped between "well we hurt" and "love is a temple." But I lost the CD and couldn't find it again in any shops, so I had to endure that for years.
I am still awed by this version. And I wonder if it's maybe the latest available recording of Bono in the nineties with his voice intact. Sometime between this and the the Pop sessions, his voice changed dramatically.

Rafiennes said:
...to One?

2006-11-25, Auckland.

Oh, you mean willingly?

A couple of years ago.

Even longer, thankfully.

You forgot the word 'not'. :wink:

The only performance that I really consider listenable is 1997-09-23, Sarajevo. Lots of passion and emotion in that performance. They could have played anything, even J. Swallow, and it would've worked. The nature of that concert really lifted One.

The one with the orchestra.
The one that builds and builds into an amazing crescendo.

Everynight on my Ipod, while falling asleep.

Oh, by the way... does anyone know what Bono says after "thank you"? He names the musicians - "Brian Eno, the Edge, Craig Armstrong..." and then says "thank you," and then says something that sounds like "broccolli," but presumably is not actually a vegetable reference. I have wondered about this for ten years...

bgmckinney said:
Oh, by the way... does anyone know what Bono says after "thank you"? He names the musicians - "Brian Eno, the Edge, Craig Armstrong..." and then says "thank you," and then says something that sounds like "broccolli," but presumably is not actually a vegetable reference. I have wondered about this for ten years...

Andrea bocelli? Is an Italian tenor :hmm: maybe he was there with Pavarotti?

Re: Re: When was the last time you listened...

Axver said:

2006-11-25, Auckland.

Oh, you mean willingly?

A couple of years ago.

Even longer, thankfully.

You forgot the word 'not'. :wink:

The only performance that I really consider listenable is 1997-09-23, Sarajevo. Lots of passion and emotion in that performance. They could have played anything, even J. Swallow, and it would've worked. The nature of that concert really lifted One.

Ah, damn it! I knew I should have made a bet with someone that you were going to post about you dislike for One.

I would have won much money. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: When was the last time you listened...

Rafiennes said:

Ah, damn it! I knew I should have made a bet with someone that you were going to post about you dislike for One.

Yeah but nobody would take that bet. :wink:

Re: Re: Re: When was the last time you listened...

Rafiennes said:

:lmao:

Honestly, as I posted, I thought "if this isn't a stereotypical Axver post, I don't know what is!"

Jeffo17 said:
no way original single is the best Bono's words not Mary's

Ignorance is bliss, fella.

Mary J Blige rocks!!! That version of One is a God´s gift.

I'm confused what version we are talking about. Just to get it clear...according to iTunes, the version off the Miss Sarajevo single is 5:31 and is live?

If not, can someone point me in the right direction?

U2girl said:
My favourite live version is Bono and Daniel Lanois 1999 White House.

Haven't heard that.

Miss Sarajevo version is fantastic. Would have been great to get perfected (it's far from a perfect performance) and on record - maybe on one of Craig Armstrongs albums, maybe in place of his version of Stay, which I don't think is really anything too special.

Mary J version - Absolutely woeful.

Don't like the strings. I would rate Slane and Live8 versions above it EASILY.

But nothing beats the original. The version with Mary J Blidge... well how good does Bono sound in it? If they took out all the blidging in it and left Bono doing all the singing, this version would come close.

The Mary J version, I'm a fan of her, or at least of her talent, and I like the idea of an r&b'd version (r&b in it's true sense), or gospelled up version of the song - could really work. But the vocal she puts in there just strips the song of it's intent and turns it into, I dunno, "We're one DAMMIT! But we're not the same! You'd BETTER carry each other or there's going to be hell to pay!"

U2 One = A lifetime of pain presented as an opportunity.
Johnny Cash One = a clarity of conversation in the silence of dawn break after a night of clouded fighting.
Mary J One = Having your shit hurled out of a second floor window while you stand on the curb in your underpants.

Earnie Shavers said:
T
U2 One = A lifetime of pain presented as an opportunity.
Johnny Cash One = a clarity of conversation in the silence of dawn break after a night of clouded fighting.
Mary J One = Having your shit hurled out of a second floor window while you stand on the curb in your underpants.

:lol: Nice!!

One at Modena (Miss Sarajevo single): revel in 320kbps glory :drool:

DontExpect said:
I'm confused what version we are talking about. Just to get it clear...according to iTunes, the version off the Miss Sarajevo single is 5:31 and is live?

If not, can someone point me in the right direction?

That would be the one. Live from Modena, Italy, 1995, Bono, Edge, Eno, and an orchestra.

great version, but most ZOO versions of ONE gets me. It's my favorite song ever.

that's how dull I thought it sounded on the "Vertigo" Tour, it's my favorite song and when they played it I was like meh....oh right.

Back
Top Bottom