When was/is Bono's voice the best?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

During which era do you think Bono's singing/voice was best

• U23 - Boy

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • October - War - UABRS

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • Unforgettable Fire

Votes: 10 11.0%
  • Joshua Tree

Votes: 24 26.4%
  • Rattle and Hum ... Lovetown Tour

Votes: 14 15.4%
  • Achtung Baby, Zooropa ... ZooTV tour

Votes: 36 39.6%
  • Passengers

• Pop ... Popmart tour

• ATYCLB, MDH ... Elevation tour

Votes: 5 5.5%

• Total voters

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
Who else remembers the raging 'bono's voice is now crap' arguments from way back when? I do!!!! hehe.

AAAAAAAACHTUNG BERLIN !

achtung was the best , bono's voice was extremely kool , sexy and pure rock'nroll style at that time ( 1991-2000) now he's too old . and can't sing at full volume .

Not to sound like a pest here, but if you are going to class Achtung Baby, Zooropa and the ZooTV tour together, then it is only fair that the Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and the Love Town tour be combined into one choice. Rattle and Hum cannot be separated from the Joshua Tree when it showcases live songs off the Joshua Tree in the Joshua Tree era. This poll should really have each album separate, but that is just my opinion. It's an opinion that means little to my wife, so don't worry. ;-) (The Always Wrong Man that I am!) :D

Roland of Gilead said:
Not to sound like a pest here, but if you are going to class Achtung Baby, Zooropa and the ZooTV tour together, then it is only fair that the Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum and the Love Town tour be combined into one choice.
I agree
I'll have to vote Joshua Tree now because (being a complete studio album) all the vocals are spot on on that one

I was kinda trying to do it by tour.. except the early years. Maybe I shoulda combined JT, with RH... I was thinking about it, but in the end it's hard to know.. if you want you can always just add the votes for those to eras together and count them as one.

Im really torn between JT and AB.
Yes his voice was beautiful and powerfully strong during JT and I almost picked that era, but I do think that his range during AB was higher. He experiemented a lot more with his voice during this time. Maybe range is the wrong word..I dunno.
Argh Im torn

Like I said before...

As much as Bono's voice changes, it occurs to me that Bono's always very good at compensating his singing voice for the music U2 produces.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

Come on! someone vote for Passengers! Ya know that Warchild orchestral performance of One... verrry goood in the voice department :yes:

UF! It was all so naturally good and effortless. Those songs are truly a priceless piece of history captured in time. He could do it all! Close second, JT, RHMT and IGC also show how excellent his voice and range was. He couild not only hit the notes, he coujld hold them, and it was all very good.

UF, though JT/Lovetown/Rattle and Hum come close.

His voice was really special, and it's incredible how he pulled off "i'm wide awake" or the chorus of Pride on the album.

Tough choice between AB/Zooropa/ZooTV and Pop/Popmart. I think that starting with Achtung Baby, Bono realized he was losing some of the range and clarity of tone. In order to compensate for the loss, he started doing a lot more with his voice stylistically instead of just relying on the sheer volume of his voice to carry the song. His newly found falsetto is gorgeous! Bono's musicianship really starts to shine through his vocals stylings on Achtung Baby/Zooropa/ZooTV.

I chose Achtung Baby.

I think he has more control of his voice at this point, and doesn't sound like what I affectionately call his Kermit the Frog voice ("Bad" from Rattle and Hum). He can do the falsetto and yet he can still hit the notes in Pride and Bad without straining or having to come down like he does certain nights now.

AB!

Re: Like I said before...

theSoulfulMofo said:
As much as Bono's voice changes, it occurs to me that Bono's always very good at compensating his singing voice for the music U2 produces.

:wave: :wave: :wave: :wave: :wave:

I've always thought the same. That's exactly what I love in Bono and U2. :love:

Actually, i thought some more and i think i would have a hard time choosing between

UF
Rattle and Hum
ATYCLB

Back
Top Bottom