when U2 first entered America.......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mad1

ONE love, blood, life
Angie Jolie lover from Belfast Norn Ireland. I LO
I have never known this so can someone answer?

Which song was it that broke U2 into America loving them...........?

Or was it a slow process? Or was it image?

Hello?

icon33.gif

BASICALLY HOW DID U2 BREAK INTO AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!??????

biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

ps - ur all my sisters!!!!!

But they didn't really break big in America till War, with NYD and SBS putting them all over US radio and MTV.

p.s.: I'm not your sister Maddie!!
smile.gif

you should read "The Road to Pop". It?s a pretty good book and describes how U2 made it in America.

It was a lot of hard work, playing concerts and touring, before they started to sel records.

------------------
"The bass player's got it. The bass player's fucking got it." Bono, Boston 6-9-01

Maddie!

How did U2 break America? hmmm lets just say that Bono did a lot of physical things on stage in USA which caught the female fans attention! lol!

just kidding.........

yeah Id say about the time of "War" that U2 broke America thanks to constant touring and sheer hard work plus there were loads of radio play at colleges etc etc but it probably wasnt till after Live Aid and at the time of J. Tree that they became huge......

cheers my dears!

dougal

U2 became very well-known on the college circuit in 1983 with the War album (and in particular New Years Day). In 1984-5, U2 were extremely disappointed that "Pride", a very catchy single and a great rock anthem besides, didn't do much better in the American charts.

The Live Aid performance is probably what really helped the mainstream public notice U2, and the live version of Bad (Wide Awake in America) was specifically intended to prepare to "break" U2 in the States (note the title!). Which it did - U2's next single, With Or Without You (with the incredibly strong Joshua Tree album of course), went to #1 and launched them into the mainstream stratosphere - the Time magazine cover and all kinds of mass media coverage and hype followed.

It was an incredible time - U2 was that up-and-coming band that had finally arrived - this was before the later anti-U2 backlashes had occurred and the feeling was really special - it just seemed like absolutely EVERYONE wished them well. Because U2's political "agenda" at the time corresponded well with that of the U.S. power structure (U2 drew attention to the many negative aspects of Soviet policy, in particular) and the band really made an effort to "woo" the U.S. in interviews, they became bigtime media darlings in the U.S. The media were only too happy to promote U2 a great rock band "with a conscience".

During the late 1987 fall leg concerts, Bono was openly and vociferously criticizing the U.S. bombing of Nicaragua - once this was recognized, the U.S. media turned very sour and the seeds of backlash were sewn. All of a sudden that "conscience" was reviled - during late 1987-1988, everyone was talking about how arrogant U2 were, their concerts were "preachy", etc. (To be fair, it didn't help that Bono probably was reading his own reviews a bit too much; and the movie Rattle & Hum did reveal quite a bit of hubris)

Back
Top Bottom