When U2 eventually "retires" from making new music, what song...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What is U2's "definitive" song?

• Sunday Bloody Sunday

Votes: 7 10.0%
  • One

Votes: 19 27.1%
  • Where The Streets Have No Name

Votes: 17 24.3%
  • I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

Votes: 3 4.3%
  • With Or Without You

Votes: 12 17.1%
  • Pride

Votes: 6 8.6%
  • Beautiful Day

• They haven't recorded it yet

• Total voters
...will be the "definitive" song of their career? You know, the one song that those classic Rock/Oldies stations will be playing most heavily of theirs when you and I are walking with a cane, using hearing aids, hangin' with the grandkids, and wearing depend undergarmets. Every great band has a "definitive" song...The Police had "Every Breath You Take", Zeppelin had "Stairway To Heaven", The Doors had "Light My Fire", The Eagles "Hotel California" etc etc...so what is U2's "definitive" song? Is it "One", "Pride", "Streets", "Beautiful Day", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "NYD", "ISHFWILF", "With or Without You", or...is it a song they have yet to record? Please explain your reasoning/logic for selecting the song you choose.

Personally, my gut tells me U2's definitive song should be one of the big three from JT...Streets, ISHFWILF, or WOWY because that album made them superstars. But "Pride" put them on the map in the U.S., "Sunday Bloody Sunday" really captures the emotional/political U2...I don't know. "One" might just be the best song they've written, "Streets" is a huge fan favorite (but can a song that had limited commercial success qualify as a bands "definitive" song?).

I just feel that 20 years from now U2's career will be most remembered for being the "band of the 80's" and therefore their "definitive" song must come from that period. So, with that rationale, I'd have to say I think "Pride" is to date their "definitive" song. Why? It put them on the map internationally, it was their first Top 40 hit in the U.S., the song captures their music/politics theme, and the sound is unmistakeable U2 of the time period...big guitars with open spaces and earnest lyrics.

Probably no right or wrong answer's here given all the great music they've created. I look forward to your responses!

They are definitely distinctively known for Sunday Boody Sunday and Pride.

I want to say One. But I had to go with Still Haven't Found. Out of all their songs, I think that this is the one that most people, fans or not, would immediately recognize as U2.

Hallelujah Here She Comes said:
I want to say One. But I had to go with Still Haven't Found. Out of all their songs, I think that this is the one that most people, fans or not, would immediately recognize as U2.

You won't get an argument from me on that. I wanted to pick "One" as well...and then I wanted to pick ISHFWILF because it was not only a commerical success but also from what most consider to be U2's finest album. But I settled on Pride for the reasons I stated earlier...I don't know...this is a tough one for me.

Like someone to blame said:

You won't get an argument from me on that. I wanted to pick "One" as well...and then I wanted to pick ISHFWILF because it was not only a commerical success but also from what most consider to be U2's finest album. But I settled on Pride for the reasons I stated earlier...I don't know...this is a tough one for me.
Streets was my pick.
NYD is my fav tho.:)

db9:dance: :cool:

SBS
I'd like to say One cos I think AB their strongest album. JT had strong songs. But as an album AB is stronger.

The song "One" saved the band and it is a theme about forgiveness which is the ultimate sacrifice.

While it isn't my favorite, I Still Haven't Found... will be that song. It always ranks the highest (out of the U2 catalogue) on the Top 1000 Rock Songs lists and such.

It has that anthemic quality that most of those "definitive" songs do.

Sunday Bloody Sunday
Where The Streets Have No Name
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For
WOWY

Because when i first started liking U2 everyone suggested those first 4 songs to me and when u say u like u2 to someone who isnt familiar with them they nearly ALWAYS say they love one of those songs

(desire is another possibility)

I just remembered something that I thought I would add. About two years ago there was a list published in the Detroit Free Press of the 100 Greatest Rock Songs of all-time. I don't remember who it was that put together the list, but "One" was listed at number 8. I don't remember if any other U2 songs were included or not, but if so, One was by far the highest.

It has to be One, otherwise there would be somethng terribly wrong with the music .The power and magic of this one song is quite remarkable, its not only a song, its a force.

pride.

if U2 is played on the radio, there's a huge chance it'll be pride. it's a favourite in concert among hardcore and casual fans, and was one of the first, if not *the* first song that started to make U2 a household name.

Re: hmmmm

therulz said:

Why not BAD? (I'm not sleeping either!).....

:lol: This reminded me of something. I always seem to be listening to this song when I'm sleepy...I don't know how that happens, and then I start singing, "I'm wide awaaaaaaaaaake!" to wake myself up. :happy:

KhanadaRhodes said:
pride.

if U2 is played on the radio, there's a huge chance it'll be pride. it's a favourite in concert among hardcore and casual fans, and was one of the first, if not *the* first song that started to make U2 a household name.

I agree. Pride is by far the U2 song I hear the most often on the radio.

i would love to say one, but really pride with the whole high noted chorus and the edgey riffs, u just KNOW it is u2. like in that simpsons episode, they were playin g pride. i think WOWY and one are much better songs but people do recognize pride a lot more. just my thought i may be wrong, i probably am...

With or without you.

Its the only song (apart from Sweetest Thing, BD, and Elevation) then I ever hear on the radio. Also, when u say to anyone "Have u heard of U2?" they say "Yeah, they did that song, With or without you." Whenever its played, everyone in the room recognises it as U2, and whether they like it or not, they pay attention to it.

I pick Streets. It is U2's Kashmir. The members of Led Zeppelin have said that Kashmir is the most representative of the qualities that made them the band that they were. At the same time, although it's a well-known song, Zeppelin has better-known songs--Stairway, Whole Lotta Love, etc. I think that Streets holds the same position for U2. To me, it epitomizes what is great about U2, but it isn't actually their best-known song--that's not the same as "definitive." And I think the band may feel the same way--look at the place that song holds in their live shows. I think they've said that as long as they play live, they will always play Streets?

I think, however, that Pride might turn out to be the song they are actually best remembered for. So I might not have answered the question the way you're thinking of it.

Last edited:
Where The Streets Have No Name is the quintessential U2 song -- as it contains every element, force, ideal, and all of it's opposing forces, all together in one basketed song -- but I'm not sure if that is the song that people will remember U2 for. At the moment, I'd say that song is With Or Without You, but I have to believe that one day it will indeed be Streets, as people will have to make up their minds eventually, so to speak (ah, the metaphors are getting more and more vague, aren't they?;))

Back
Top Bottom