When U2 Disbands, No "From The Vaults" Collections Please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jick

Refugee
It would only serve to diminish the reputation of U2.

U2 have generally given us good finished product (save for the unfinished POP). Their latest album is a testament to their ability to churn out one hit after another.

But the way U2 comes up with the finished product isn't a pretty sight. They aren't like other bands who come up with a slew of brilliant b-sides and unreleased material. I think even Lilywhite mentions that there is too much democracy in the U2 camp when they make records and it seems to take forever for them to make it.

Stated differently, U2 takes 4 years to make 11 perfect songs and give or take a handful of other outtakes, whereas other bands in a 2 year recording process come up with 40 completed songs and then just select which 14 to put on the album.

My contention is that U2 doesn't have many songs under their vast recording vault or completed or workable demos. For example, the POP album which was supposed to be unfinished proved to be such based of their pitiful productivity (only one legitimate new b-side, Holy Joe). While albums that were finished and painstakingly took forever have a handful of b-sides but still not that many.

The best proof I have now is these 25 unreleased songs that are in the complete U2 collection. These songs cover the JT era (Beautiful Ghost) all the way up to the HTDAAB era (Xanax and Wine). Why only 25? These are perhaps all that could be mustered by the U2 vault diggers that were listenable. But you know what? They are all complete total junk. Their finished products are way way better. These unreleased tracks can't even hold a candle to any of U2's b-sides - (Beautiful Ghost can't touch Luminous Times; Flower Child can't touch Summer Rain).

So we have these 25 tracks that are already carefully selected yet still total junk. If you want to hear 3 cd's of pure junk, try the Salome Achtung Baby Outtakes.

For some unexplainable reason, U2's recoding process is that all their album songs are pure gold and their b-sides are wonderful. Yet, whatever they release is really all they can squeeze of the recording sessions and whatever leftover in their vaults they have is pure junk.

For the sake of U2's reputation and integrity, I think they should never ever release a from the vaults album because if these 25 unreleased junk songs are any indication, can you imagine how awful a 4-disc set of unreleased U2 stuff would be?

If U2 want to release some sort of boxed set, I think they should just do something like the Police's Message In A Box which ws their complete recordings. The Police never released any unreleased or from the vaults collections and their legend is still intact. I hope U2 keeps their legend intact.

Cheers,

J

I think Jick makes a good point. I would like to add that I think when U2 are recording songs for an album, there is a reason they don't have too much actual product in the end. What U2 does is, when they create a new song in the studio, they constantly rework it and rework it until its as good as it can possibly be. All 11 songs on this new album were probably worked on individually for weeks. Its not like the band writes a song, and then say, OK, it's good enough, lets write another one now. That's just not how they work. The reason they might only produce 17-20 songs in 4 years is because once they get an idea they pound at it and pound at it until it's absolutely perfect. ANd in the end, I'd rather have 15 or so perfect songs released then 40 Okay songs.

Screw all that...give me all the demos and unreleased songs I can find. I love listening to the evolution of songs. Like the Beatles anthologies I think it's cool to hear the early versions of songs.

I disagree. A lot of bands do box-sets and U2 with its legendary status will likely, too.
(I remember a quote from the real Edge about it from a while ago.) I would prefer it to the usual Best of at the end of career. (except maybe one made of live songs)

I don't know how many of the 25 unreleased songs are earlier versions of songs that made it on the album and how many are really new songs. I wouldn't mind seeing the finished ideas that didn't become either album material or B-sides. Some day.

I'd be all for it. U2 are known for holding songs over for future albums....SYCMIOYO, Original of The Species, Hold Me Thrill Me... etc stellar tracks that weren't used until well after their original creation, so I cannot accept the logic that all songs that don't get used when written are poor. Fact is, we just don't know what is in the U2 vaults to make a judgement yet, and I know I really loved "Flower Child".

Lancemc said:
I think Jick makes a good point. I would like to add that I think when U2 are recording songs for an album, there is a reason they don't have too much actual product in the end. What U2 does is, when they create a new song in the studio, they constantly rework it and rework it until its as good as it can possibly be.

That's how they do it these days but The Johua tree or Rattle and Hum weren't created that way. Heck even Zooropa wasn't, are these bad products? Well no they're all masterpieces, so I'm sure there are some real fine tracks in the vaults. Let's have them ASAP.

Just my 2 cents, Ronald

Lancemc said:
I think Jick makes a good point. I would like to add that I think when U2 are recording songs for an album, there is a reason they don't have too much actual product in the end. What U2 does is, when they create a new song in the studio, they constantly rework it and rework it until its as good as it can possibly be. All 11 songs on this new album were probably worked on individually for weeks. Its not like the band writes a song, and then say, OK, it's good enough, lets write another one now. That's just not how they work. The reason they might only produce 17-20 songs in 4 years is because once they get an idea they pound at it and pound at it until it's absolutely perfect. ANd in the end, I'd rather have 15 or so perfect songs released then 40 Okay songs.

The Beatles did it and theres Beatles fans still clamoring for more. Led Zeppelin, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, tons of bands do it.

With great bands, there are always gems in the vaults or at the very least songs that some people will enjoy as much as original releases if not more.

At the very least I would love to hear the progression of songs like Streets and One first takes etc.

I know U2 has more outtakes and never-officially-released songs than what was in the "complete" U2. What about Womanfish, My Time Hasn't Come and Be There, just to name a few? I love all three of those supposedly unworthy tunes.

Nice bit of pop bashing while your at it......and here i say AGAIN!!! UNFINISHED MY FUC~IN ARSE!!!!!!!

I think there are plenty of great unreleased U2 songs. I'm listening to She's Gonna Turn Your Head/Wake Up Dead Man from the Salome outtakes right now and I think it's absolutely awesome. Now I will admit that some of U2's unreleased tracks are unreleased for a reason and are merely sketches of songs that morphed into other songs later. But my goodness, some of the songs on Salome and some of the other unreleased tracks are real gems. I certainly think they could come up with about two or three discs worth of really good B-sides, rarities, and outtakes for commercial release.

There will be collections like this, to think not is silly. U2 have had a longer career than the Beatles and Led Zeppelin combined.

There is a lot more "in the vaults" than we think and I'm positive that at least 3 CDs worth of it are worthy of release. Hell if Nirvana can release a 3 CD set of unreleased material after a short career, U2 should be able to at least double that.

I wonder if there are any "aborted albums" in the vaults, you know, albums they started then canned for whatever reason without anyone getting to know about it..

I knew my time in computer science theory courses would be useful somewhere...

Proof:
when u2 disbands, jick will actually post something positive

Contradiction.

Therefore, u2 can not disband.

:wink:

Last edited:
Sleep Over Jack said:
I wonder if there are any "aborted albums" in the vaults, you know, albums they started then canned for whatever reason without anyone getting to know about it..

Well a portion of the salome tapes has been compiled into something like you're saying but that really can only be called an "alternate" Achtung instead of a completely aborted work. Search for "unreleased U2" on Soulseek and it comes up. Nice compilation no doubt but if you have the salome tapes its just the "best of" in one persons mind.

I actually dont think there is a whole project completely sacked. It seems to me that U2 work on a lot of the same material and just mold it into the final product. I mean look at the unreleased and rare stuff in the Itunes set, the most of it are early versions of songs that have been finished since.

Im sure there are definitely single songs that have never been heard and are completely unique in regards to their catalog.

It would be interesting to know if theres any stories of them completely stopping a project and starting fresh. Thing with U2 is they've always gone back to material they worked on before so I doubt there is a full album that could culled that can be considered totally unique.

nicholsfornixon said:
I think there are plenty of great unreleased U2 songs. I'm listening to She's Gonna Turn Your Head/Wake Up Dead Man from the Salome outtakes right now and I think it's absolutely awesome. Now I will admit that some of U2's unreleased tracks are unreleased for a reason and are merely sketches of songs that morphed into other songs later. But my goodness, some of the songs on Salome and some of the other unreleased tracks are real gems. I certainly think they could come up with about two or three discs worth of really good B-sides, rarities, and outtakes for commercial release.

Absolutely agreed, Shes gonna Turn your head is awesome absolutely superb, a band at its musical creative peak.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
Screw all that...give me all the demos and unreleased songs I can find. I love listening to the evolution of songs. Like the Beatles anthologies I think it's cool to hear the early versions of songs.

I agree. This is actually where I derive my enjoyment - listening to the evolution of songs. Even during the Achtung Baby outtakes, you can always sense/hear when Bono hits a melody or lyric that he likes. It's almost like that part of the outtake starts glowing and you can hear the excitement in Bono's voice as he massages through melodies and lyrical ideas.

That said, some of the unreleased tracks did give me chills and a few furrowed brow moments. I'm glad the songs turned out the way they are now. But, I still love these early experimentation versions.

And to be honest, I actually like the SYCMIOYO version from the unreleased/rare section. The Edge added some tension with that EBow bit that they removed from the finished product. I believe it was the augmented chords version that he talks about in the DVD.

Keep 'em coming...

I'm in total agreement....I've never heard any demo/outtakes stuff from this band that was all that rewarding....I'm sure that Bono and Co. wouldn't want to release a boxed set made up of that sort of thing anyway, so there's no worries.

Now a CD boxed set of nonalbum tracks and remixes... :drool:

Back
Top Bottom