"When the sun sets in Africa, you duck." (several photos inside)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PaleBlueDot

War Child
I posted this in both my LiveJournal and MySpace, and I thought I'd share it here, too. There's a little bit of religious/spiritual content in here, so if you think you'll be offended you might want to skip this one. However, I hope you'll see the beauty in it, even if you're not a believer in God....I mean, I'm not. *shrugs* Bono has such a knack for creating visual images, and I get such a rush of color and motion in my head when I hear their songs...especially the Joshua Tree, which was designed to be that way...it's a "cinematic" album.

Anyway...I went and found photos that kind of represent what I see in my head when I hear the middle eight of Beautiful Day...and also a quote from the "Bono in Conversation" book that I am reading right now, in a section where he talks about his first trip to Africa. Maybe you guys could respond to this post and share some pictures of what YOU see in your head when you hear different lyrics (U2 or otherwise). I hope you guys see as much as I do when you hear the middle eight from Beautiful Day...or the first verse of Bullet the Blue Sky...

sunset 600.jpg

"...And those big bloody suns! When the sun sets in Africa, you duck." -Bono

99387806wZrymA_ph.jpg

See the world in green and blue

1.JPG

See China right in front of you

IMG_0233.JPG

See the canyons broken by cloud

fishing boats 2 small.jpg

web-Fishing Boats 1.jpg

See the tuna fleets clearing the sea out

Last edited:
contd...

2771bedouin_near_fire.jpg

See the Bedouin fires at night

sl_sunsets_85.jpg

See the oil fields at first light

dove.jpg

See the bird with a leaf in her mouth

rainbow-lg.jpg

After the flood all the colors came out...

God added: 'This is the sign that I am giving for all ages to come, of the covenant between me and you and every living creature with you: I set my bow in the clouds to serve as a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.'

-Genesis 9:12-13

P.S. -- the location of that last photo is Jerusalem...If you look closely you can see the city...
P.P.S. -- Credit where it is due: The song lyrics quoted herein (and which inspired this post) make up the beautiful middle-eight from "Beautiful Day," by U2. Lyrics by Bono. The photos that accompany this post are by various photographers. The drawing of the dove is by Pablo Picasso. The drawing, photos and lyrics are all used without permission, but with deep reverence for the artistry behind them. The bible quote is used with permission and, indeed, grace...and of course with deep reverence for the Artist.

LJ/MySpace code for this post: http://www.bridgetmcgann.com/seetheworld.txt

Last edited:
I can't describe with few words what you give to me with this post... I can only say thank you....

bedouin fire said:
very beautiful. great work.

Nice name. ;)

By the way, I cannot take credit for the photos...I should reitorate that. I made a note of that in the .txt file that I linked to. All I did was search the photos out in Google, in an effort to illustrate what I saw in my head.

Anyway, thanks for letting me share, guys. I'm glad you liked it. :)

Last edited:
I see something like this when the edge hits that low E to start the end of live versions of until the end of the world.

bignd06.jpg

Or edge's live slide solo at the end of mysterious ways, always struck me as a flash of blinding light:

thesun.jpg
lift my days, light up my nights loooove.

Or the start of bullet the blue sky. When edge hits that first note live, it sounds like he is tearing up a sound from the depths of hell

fire2.jpg

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom