When the Stars Go Blue: Wedding Song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

u2greek

Babyface
So my fiancee and I are thinking of playing When the Stars Go Blue (VH1 performance wtih Bono) as the first song at our wedding. Any thoughts? Any other ideas for the first song?

Thanks!
Pete.

I think it's a nice song! and it could be great to have it like your first song!!

Congrats for your wedding!!!!!!!

"All I want is you."

It doesn't really matter to us what you end up with. It should be something that's special to the two of you exclusively.

Bear in mind that this song is a very sad song. The song was written about Winona Ryder after they broke up. This is what Ryan said about it:

"Think of the 'star' as someone hiding away in her Beverly Hills mansion and not saying an awful lot. Listen to the song again with that in mind and see what you think."

Just don't go with the Tim McGraw version of Stats Go Blue. Heard that for the first time a few days ago...it was awful. simply awful.

Congrats on the wedding!

WTSGB is a pretty song. However, like Bonochick said, bear in mind that it's not the happiest song if you listen to the lyrics & the meaning. That's the problem with almost all of U2's love songs---they're all bittersweet. We had thought about using All I Want Is You, until we really thought about what he's saying in it (you want diamonds and all these crazy things, but all i want is you). What we ended up doing was dancing to another song ("Songbird," sung by Eva Cassidy), and having the DJ play the second chorus from Beautiful Day when he introduced us to the reception. That actually worked VERY well!

First of all congratulations on the upcoming wedding! :). I think the song is pretty and it could be a good choice. However if you are looking for something with a happier meaning than I would choose a different song. However the choice of song is ultimately up to you and your future wife :).

A couple of other really good suggestions would be U2's "Unchained Melody" or "Can't Help Falling In Love". Have already dropped hints to my bf about these songs for when we get married,hehe.

Last edited:
It's a pretty song, and although it may not be the happiest tune, nothing would be more inappropriate than the song played at my brother's wedding in Peru: Yesterday --"all my troubles seemed so far away/now it looks as though they're here to stay" :scratch:

it was an instrumental version--I always assumed something got lost in translation.

Congrats on the wedding! :)

Thanks for everyones reply..

We've listened to the lyrics, and yea the song isnt 100% happy from start to end. Like Utoo said, almost all U2 songs are bittersweet, and this Corrs song is no different.

We wanted to see what others thought of the idea, and if you've heard it at weddings, so all your replies were all helpful.

We've thought of Unchained Melody, but that also has some bittersweet meaning to it. Can't Help Falling In Love sounds like a good idea too.

Thanks!

I'm getting married in Sept. and I've yet to find a U2 song appropriate for our reception. There aren't really any love songs. One, WOWY...NOT love songs! I love AIWIY, but it's just not "us". I think for our video of the pictures of ourselves I'll just be using Yahweh and the video version of OOTS as background music b/c those are two of our favorite new songs and we've got a lot of U2 memories, regardless of what the actual lyrics are refering to. :shrug:

If you want "dramatic" listen to Drowning Man and see what you think. I could picture a little flemenco-style of dance at some parts. :shrug:

Other obscure possibilities:
Miracle Drug (some very nice lyrics)
Falling at Your Feet
Wild Honey
Mysterious Ways (maybe a slower remix version)
The Sweetest Thing

Discotheque.
Boom-Cha hip thrusts for the win!

But seriously, I don't really see many U2 songs that I would play as the first song at my wedding. I really like All I Want Is You though. I don't think the lyrics ruin the message of the song at all. Mostly all the people will be doing is paying attention to you dancing and stuff, not really running the lyrics through their heads. But that's just my idea. Congratulations!

JCOSTER said:
Bono singing Unchained Melody for your wedding.....excellent choice!!!!:drool:

I was just about to suggest it, but hadn't read the whole thread yet. :drool:

Oh, oh my love
Oh my darling
I've hungered for your touch
A long and lonely time

And time goes by so slowly
And time can do so much
Are you still mine

I need your love
I need your love
I need your love
God speed your love to me

Lonely rivers flow
To the sea, to the sea
To the open arms of the sea

Lonely rivers sigh
Wait for me, wait for me
I'll be coming home
Wait for me

Oh, oh my love
Oh my darling
I've hungered for your touch
A long and lonely time

And time goes by so slowly
And time can do so much
Are you still mine

I need your love
I need your love
I need your love
God speed your love to me (it to me)
God speed your love to me
(I need your love)

then again.... I do :love: this song too:

U2 - All I Want Is You

You say you want diamonds on a ring of gold
You say you want your story to remain untold
But all the promises we make
From the cradle to the grave
When all I want is you

You say you'll give me a highway with no one on it
Treasure, just to look upon it
All the riches in the night
You say you'll give me eyes in a moon of blindness
A river in a time of dryness
A harbour in the tempest
But all the promises we make
When all I want is you

You say you want your love to work out right
To last with me through the night
You say you want diamonds on a ring of gold
Your story to remain untold
Your love not to grow cold
All the promises we break
When all I want is you

You
All I want is you
All I want is you
All I want is you

Last edited:
and another one to add: The Ground Beneath her Feet

Is 'I Can't Help Falling in Love' on any U2 CD besides the concerts? I only have the song live on tape.

With Or Without You isn't romantic, though. I mean, none of U2's songs are really sweet enough for a wedding. I'd love to use one at mine (whenever that may be, a trillion years away) but I have no idea if any of them would suit.

Back
Top Bottom