When the Stars Go Blue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pax

ONE love, blood, life
Well, I didn't actually see the whole of the Corrs concert in which Bono appeared. I did, however, see "When the Stars Go Blue" on VH1 today. Now, since I'm too lazy to dig up the liner notes to my Ryan Adams CD, I must ask you all:

Who, originally, did that song? I know Ryan Adams did it on "Gold," and apparently Bono and the Corrs have done it, but whose song is it?

------------------
Well, the God I believe in isn't short on cash, mister. --Bono

But a day will come
In this dawning age
When an honest man
Sees an honest wage.
--The Edge

It's written by Ryan Adams.
I really love his album and the cover of that song that Bono and The Corrs did is also great.
By the way to any fellow New Yorkers or the ones in the Tri-State area, When The Stars Go Blue cover with the Corrs and Bono is getting radio play at 95.5 WPLJ. I didn't expect to hear it.

Ryan's is much better, originals usually are. GOLD is almost a perfect album IMO. I would rather listen to GOLD than ATYCLB. I has so much more variety, better songwriting, better lyrics. Less formulated.

I think the duet is good in different areas of the song. The end, with bono screaming is great. The beginning is good too. but something in the middle, when they trade versus, just seems a little cheesy and light......something from the 70s. but all in all, I like it......

do you know how to read? I never said he was better than U2. I said I enjoy listening to his record more than U2's. I have this right, don't I? Quit trying to make arguments.

Originally posted by broshere:
Ryan Adams better than U2? i dont thin so!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm sure everyone here knows that.
wink.gif

They have a video clip at u2audio.com if you want to see it.

They have been playing it in the Minneapolis area on Drive105.

------------------
Cheers!
Meringue

Weird thing for me is that it doesn't sound to me like a song that fits his voice, and I don't really like it, so why do I?? It just sound so damn sexy the way he sings it. Even if he did look blind in the video.

Originally posted by EXIT_TO_THE_NORTH:
Ryan's is much better, originals usually are. GOLD is almost a perfect album IMO. I would rather listen to GOLD than ATYCLB. I has so much more variety, better songwriting, better lyrics. Less formulated.

I definiately agree on that Gold is a much better album than ATYCLB.

I don't really like the cover Bono and the Corrs did of "When the stars...", at all.
the fact that I absolutely hate the Corrs in the first place might have something to do with it.
the song is great itself, the corrs (and Bono) should've left it untouched.
it became something downright cheesy and 'poppy'. It didn't fit Bono's voice very well either.

[This message has been edited by U2FReAk (edited 05-18-2002).]

ps: the "thumb-down" sign is not ment to be directed at you, Exit to the north, but rather to show my dislike of the cover.

I finally saw/ heard "When the Stars Go Blue" with the Corrs and Bono on VH1 at like 4 AM today cuz I couldn't sleep.

I enjoyed both versions thoroughly. But listening to the Corrs and Bono's cover, made me long for new U2 material! Arrrgh!

This song also just emphasized how distinct Bono's voice is as well as how much he's evolved since Boy as a singer. Sometimes I take it for granted... Bono's singing and such.

I have to add that the Corrs made some great sounding harmonies and Andrea has a fantastic voice.

:O**

Now I feel like getting this album.

:\

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 05-19-2002).]

Originally posted by U2FReAk:
It didn't fit Bono's voice very well either.

[This message has been edited by U2FReAk (edited 05-18-2002).]
I have to adamantly disagree, here. The first thing I noticed about the performance of When The Stars Go Blue, specifically, was how incredible Bono's voice sounds. Such a sweet, sweet soul. It is actually a remarkable duet: the timing is impeccable, as well as the annunciation and clerity of the words. Bono's voice sounds like silk spun into sound, and the harmonies are perfect. From the very verst line at the beginning of the song, Bono just blew me away -- and yes, extremely distinctive, yet so different from his old singing style. I sometimes wonder how we know right away that it is Bono, even though he's evolved so much. Such a soul singer now. Yes, you could say I liked their performance!

------------------
The Tempest

Well, Audiogalaxy is hard at work as we speak. I suppose it'd be terribly cliche of me to politely assert the fact that I like both versions equally well for different reasons. That's me, though. Ever the diplomat.

------------------
Well, the God I believe in isn't short on cash, mister. --Bono

But a day will come
In this dawning age
When an honest man
Sees an honest wage.
--The Edge

I heard this Corrs/Bono duet a couple of times now, and I have to say that I HATE IT...

for me it's total bubble-gum song in a Corrs style which I never liked much...

off course now I have to point out that this is only IMO...
mad.gif

------------------
"Everyone loves me
everyone thinks I'm georgeous
they wait for their turn to meet me..." - Me, 2001.

I like it. It's pop, but Bono's voice is very good and fits well with the Corrs'. And, admittedly, I don't enjoy the Corrs but they have good voices.

------------------
I only smile in the dark

Popheart.org

Originally posted by Shine * Like* Stars*:
Weird thing for me is that it doesn't sound to me like a song that fits his voice, and I don't really like it, so why do I?? It just sound so damn sexy the way he sings it.

Have you heard Summer Wine from that show? (with Bono, of course) talk about sexy...

[This message has been edited by rooftop to the basement (edited 05-24-2002).]

Back
Top Bottom