When the boys play Vertigo live on tour

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

achtung y'all

The Fly
I was just listening to Vertigo at full volume and started imagining ideas of how they'll kick off their live shows.

As far as we know, it'll be the opening song and much like Elevation it'll blow the crowd away! The thought that really gave me goose bumps was the stop/start break at 2.22 during the song. I can completely visualise the band stopping after the "just give me what I want and no one gets hurt" line - pause (and intense crowd screaming) - and as the band kicks back in, cue some legendary lighting flash to compliment the power of the last minute of the song. Similar to the tiny pause during Elevation on the last tour when the house lights went down and the show lighting started up. But I reckon the band will take advantage of that natural break in the song to punch a huge adrenalin rush into the crowd. I can't wait!! :hyper:

Honestly, I don't think they'll do that. It's TOO similar to what they did on Elevation for me to expect that. U2 never repeat themselves. Check out their last three openers - Zoo Station, Mofo, and Elevation. Not exactly similar, huh?

I don't even think Vertigo will open. Some people have argued that it will because of "hello, hello," but it's worth noting that Stories For Boys, which has the exact same line, was typically played in the middle of the set (though it did open on some occasions). Also, Seconds, with its "say goodbye," was always played in the middle of the set.

I think they'll open with either an old song or LAPOE. They will HAVE to close with City Of Blinding Lights.

Murray said:
I think they'll open with either an old song or LAPOE. They will HAVE to close with City Of Blinding Lights.

"have to"? you didn't even heard the song...
Let wait, and see..

There is absolutely no way they will open with an old song. Name a time when this has happened before?

I am hoping there will be an extended intro to Vertigo on the album version- much like Discotheque album vs. Discotheque single-edit.

I imagine that the new holosonic technology will be used and while the background music is playing, we will hear a 3D swooshing noise kind of quitely emerge from all these invisible places in the arena.

The notes will increase in volume and intensity before it overtakes and drowns out the pre-show music. Pretty soon, the sound will swirl above and around us, swooping down, inwards and out, totally creating a sense of Vertigo for the audience.

Then, lights will completely drop, and the boys will be whisked on stage through trap doors or whatnot. While the lights are still out we hear the now familiar intro with Larry and Edge's syncopated instrumentation.

Then WHAM! Unos, dos, tres, catorce! Lights go on as the first riff hits us at ungodly decibals.

Oh, and I definitely think they'll incorporate the sonic drop at the end of the harmonic bridge.

Finally, Bono when Bono accepts his salvation with Love and he sings "your love is teaching me.. how to ..... KNEEL!" - he is sooo going to drop to his knees, clutch his heart, and finish off the rest of the song with triumphant YEAH YEAH EYAH YHEAH's while kneeling.

OK- That's MY version! You know that they'll come up with something awesome whatever it is...

This is what I was looking for! Doesn't have to be too similar to Elevation. It's a quicker, fresher song that they could do loads with.

Whenever its played, I think it will be more than 3:11. It would be cool if Edge extended the solo and went off.!!

elfyx said:
I am hoping there will be an extended intro to Vertigo on the album version- much like Discotheque album vs. Discotheque single-edit.

I imagine that the new holosonic technology will be used and while the background music is playing, we will hear a 3D swooshing noise kind of quitely emerge from all these invisible places in the arena.

The notes will increase in volume and intensity before it overtakes and drowns out the pre-show music. Pretty soon, the sound will swirl above and around us, swooping down, inwards and out, totally creating a sense of Vertigo for the audience.

Then, lights will completely drop, and the boys will be whisked on stage through trap doors or whatnot. While the lights are still out we hear the now familiar intro with Larry and Edge's syncopated instrumentation.

Then WHAM! Unos, dos, tres, catorce! Lights go on as the first riff hits us at ungodly decibals.

Oh, and I definitely think they'll incorporate the sonic drop at the end of the harmonic bridge.

Finally, Bono when Bono accepts his salvation with Love and he sings "your love is teaching me.. how to ..... KNEEL!" - he is sooo going to drop to his knees, clutch his heart, and finish off the rest of the song with triumphant YEAH YEAH EYAH YHEAH's while kneeling.

OK- That's MY version! You know that they'll come up with something awesome whatever it is...

You've got me :drool: with that version... perhaps I should email it to Bono....

elfyx said:

Oh gods...that's brilliant. :drool: That would be WONDERFUL...seriously...genius. That's exactly what I was thinking of too, what with the lights down and then bursting on after the Spanish countdown with the loud-ass rockin' guitar.

Bono dropping to his knees...will make a lot of girls very, very happy. Including me :D and I think he'll bite right after "no one gets hurt" during the dropout. :drool:

rjhbonovox said:
There is absolutely no way they will open with an old song. Name a time when this has happened before?

Pre-War Tour: Out Of Control
War Tour: Out Of Control or Gloria
Under Australian Skies: Gloria
The Unforgettable Fire Tour: 11 O'clock Tick Tock
The Joshua Tree Tour: Stand By Me (not an old song, but not a new U2 song), I believe MLK/Pride may have opened one show too.
Lovetown: Where The Streets Have No Name, Bullet The Blue Sky

I feel I've forgotten something too ...

Axver said:

Pre-War Tour: Out Of Control
War Tour: Out Of Control or Gloria
Under Australian Skies: Gloria
The Unforgettable Fire Tour: 11 O'clock Tick Tock
The Joshua Tree Tour: Stand By Me (not an old song, but not a new U2 song), I believe MLK/Pride may have opened one show too.
Lovetown: Where The Streets Have No Name, Bullet The Blue Sky

I feel I've forgotten something too ...

They opened one of the zoo tv shows with Sunday Bloody Sunday

i have a feeling that they will play a new song at the start of the shows, not necesseraly a single track but it will be a new song i think

lovetown openers:
streets/bullet/in gods country/stand by me/hawkmoon/god 2

no, jt tour was never openned with mlk or pride (they were prefaced by stand by me)

yes, sunday was played as opener on august 7 1992 in hershey, PA.

I don't know, but to me this album really feels well suited for a setlist which includes JT/R&H stuff and earlier (definately Exit, hopefully Helter Skelter) + Pop -- I think Last Night on Earth, Gone, Staring At the Sun (full band) will return, and maybe an acoustic of I still haven't found what I'm Looking for... what do you guys think?

gabriele1971 said:
lovetown openers:
streets/bullet/in gods country/stand by me/hawkmoon/god 2

Ah, In God's Country! That's what I felt I was missing.

no, jt tour was never openned with mlk or pride (they were prefaced by stand by me)

My mistake; MLK opened one UF Tour show. Oops. Interestingly, MLK opened the first show of the first European leg of the tour in Lyon exactly twenty years ago today, on 18 October 1984.

yes, sunday was played as opener on august 7 1992 in hershey, PA.

It's worth noting that that was a dress rehearsal.

they could pull an Achtung Baby on us ....imagine 7 straight songs from the new album?.....personally i would and would'nt like to see that.

COBL can fit in ANYWHERE in the set list....opening, thrid, smack in the middle...after Streets...who knows....even at the end.
cant wait for the tour.

Back
Top Bottom