When Dubya silenced Bono's Vox - NY Daily News

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

chazman151

War Child
From Rush & Molloy - NY Daily News

When Dubya silenced Bono's Vox

Okay, so maybe he didn't find any weapons of mass destruction in Iraq. But give President Bush credit for one thing: He once got Bono to stop talking.

The U2 front man still laughs about the meeting where Dubya had to pound his fist to distract the rocker from his own eloquence about the AIDS crisis.

"He banged the table at me once when I was ranting at him about" AIDS drugs," Bono recalls. "He banged the table to ask me to let him reply.

"I was very impressed that he could get so passionate. And let's face it, tolerating an Irish rock star is not a necessity of his office."

White House staffers seemed inured to his fame when he showed up to talk to President Clinton.

"I think they thought I was there [to do the] carpentry," says the Noble Peace Prize nominee. In fact, he reflects, "I thought...[Clinton] looked more like a pop star than I did. And I thought he might be thinking that, too."

The man born Paul David Hewson divests himself of these memories in "Bono: In Conversation With Michka Assayas," a long Q&A with one of his favorite rock writers.

Other nuggets from the Riverhead Book, timed to coincide with band's forthcoming tour:

-Growing up, Bono ate airline food every day for breakfast, lunch and dinner - because his brother worked for an airline. Now that fame has kept him flying around the globe, "you spend the rest of your life eating airline food. It's enough to drive a fellow to a posh restaurant and might explain my expanding waistline."

-He reveres supermodels Christy Turlington and Naomi Campbell as "the silent movie stars of our age."

-The star won't discuss any drug use, because he says "it's too easy a headline." He does offer: "I think abuse of alcohol is dumb...if you abuse something, it abuses you back."

Link

But Bush can't stop Bono from raking in the profits and continuing to eat in posh restaurants. I even bet Bush wasn't able to snag a GA ticket to the Vertigo Tour.

Cheers,

J

"I was very impressed that he could get so passionate."

Oooh. Hitler was passionate -- would he have impressed Bono, too? Pathetic. He's a fool to think W gives a rat's ass about anything.

Yes, I'm sure he was -- that's his nature, through and through (he was my governor before he stole the White House, so I've had plenty of time to notice his little quirks).

I preferred the less "nonpartisan" Bono who wasn't afraid to call a spade a spade. It was so great to see him pestering W's daddy every night from the ZOOTV stage.

I also preferred the Propaganda method of alloting tickets to fans. Wah! I'm the saddest boy in Christmas Town!

jick
very good post.
partys, mazerattis, expensive show tickets, paying sites, ipods, do not match with helping the poors and the sick, does it?
something is wrong in the all picture:eyebrow:

Back
Top Bottom