When did U2 first begin using electronic elements?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Homerpalooza

Acrobat
I'm trying to pinpoint the first time U2 really used any electronic elements in one of their songs (be it an original or a cover or whatever). Would it be "Unchained Melody" with its computer-esque drum loop?

I would think it was the Unforgettable Fire Album/Tour.

That is the first tour where they used pre-recorded elements (the bells in "Bad" and "Unforgettable Fire" etc...)

Cheers,

Brady :)

Hmmm...would an electric guitar, bass guitar, and microphone count as "elements"?

lol, j.k

I would say Bad also, but those loops and such have just been a part of the music. Nothing really changed, even through Acthung Baby, Zooropa and Pop.

I love the drums at the beginning of "New York" :wink:

(That Larry doesn't even play live :mad:

Unforgettable Fire, definetley. With all the Loops on Bad and Strings etc. on the Title Track (as mentioned above).

I think the band his been using different electronic tricks, enhancements and what not since the very beginning. Even back to "Boy" there are different vocal echos and synthetic elements (accepting that bass, guitar, drums and vocal would be the natural elements). Really, ever since The Beatles and George Martin began their sonic experiments in the mid-'60s, electronic elements have been so prevalent, of course not to the degree that started in the '90s with people like Beck, The Prodigy and all those DJ-centered groups, but it's still been there for a while.

To me the first U2 song that actually sounded batently electronic and almost like a dance song was their cover (okay, it's not a U2 song) of Night and Day back in 1990.. It was sort of an indication of what was to come anyway.. Especially the steel string remix of the song on the One single.

Back
Top Bottom