When did they start recording this new record ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ThePuttKing

The Fly
I'm sure I read that they started recording in 2002 sometime. If it is a Septermber 2004 release then were talking over 2 years to make a album. It's never taken them that long !

They recorded what ended up being Hands and Electrical Storm in December 2001 right after the tour ended.

They've recorded on and off for the better part of the last 2 years.

The important date is April 2003, when Chris Thomas joined them. Prior to that they had not used a producer and it's likely that a good portion of the work was raw even thought some of it was done like "All Because of You"

I'll look more into this later tonight.

You're right to an extent. They've been working on a lot of songs since late 2001 and early 2002. Hands and ES were the only two that they completed and released in that time, but the album has been in the works since the end of the Elevation Tour.

Well, they are over 90 songs or parts of songs left over from the ATYCLB sessions and so some could say work on this new album has been going on even before the release of ATYCLB.

Know one knows for sure when and where the band comes up with something. Something brilliant could have come out of a acustic jam session on the plane during the Elevation tour or in a hotel room. That was back in 2001.

What we know for sure is that it has been 3.5 years since the release of U2's last album in October 2000. Unless U2 get the album into stores before the end of June, it will be the longest U2 have taken in between albums in their career.

True, they started the earliest work on the album after the tour but IMO they had nothing substantial (enough) until April 2003 when they called in Thomas (I bet most of 2002 was spent on the second Best of work).
What would be really interesting to know IMO is what happened between that time and this February when Lillywhite came in, all of a sudden. (and if there was more to that last fall visit from Lanois when he was on tour, then why didn't they change Thomas back then?)

Back
Top Bottom