When did Green Day became cool in U2's eyes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flying FuManchu

New Yorker
Used to live in Chambana. For now the Mid-South.
For Green Day to be included in a musical performance together with U2 (at the New Orleans game) as well as being able to record together with U2 is quite a big deal IMO. You don't see a lot of bands given that opportunity. Not only that, they will be immortalized to a degree in the new U2-18 album by being the only band, not solo artist (sorry Chrissie Hynde & Boyzone - who I can't hear on the Sweetest Thing) that I can think of who will have a major contribution in a U2 song. This aforementioned song will also be a single. I call it a U2 song even though it's a cover because it's gonna be on the Greatest Hits package.

With all of that in mind, do you think Green Day were ever on U2's radar? Are U2 fans of Billie Joe and crew? Are Bono & Edge's favorite album from Green Day the legendary Dookie? Or are they following all the bandwagon fans and jumping on the American Idiot bandwagon? Do you think Edge played some Basketcase in the Abbey Road sessions? Did they have this relationship back in the 90s?

Last edited:
I think u2 have respected Greenday since dookie , all that time ago. But i think words were said at the grammy's

Flying FuManchu said:
(sorry Chrissie Hynde & Boyzone - who I can't hear on the Sweetest Thing)

I don't think it was ever claimed that Boyzone was in the actual song, just the video.

Now what was Hynde supposably in?

Wow, you DO learn something new every day...I need to read my liner notes more carefully.

Maybe it's more of an issue that Green Day finds U2 cool in thier eyes? I remember reading a quote where Billie Joe said he'd love for his band to end up like U2. So, maybe it's more of a "U2 taking Green Day under thier wing' kinda deal.

bonocomet said:

What kind of words?

hrrrm like " hey guys, congrats on the latest album we enjoyed it a lot , maybe you free sometime " ?

Flying FuManchu said:
I forgot to add B.B. King and Bob Dylan to that list. Wow. Include those artists to Chrissie Hynde, Willie Nelson, and Johnny Cash... damn, Green Day is in really legendary company.

and don't forget Pavarotti on Miss Sarajevo, even though that was billed as Passengers

I don´t like green day at all :madspit: I don´t know if I am misunderstanding their messages since I don´t speak too much english but they are too insulting for my religion (Catholic) , don`t like their videos or their image, in fact is my biggest deception that u2 made a song with them since they (U2) seem to be very close to God; I don`t even listen to the new single :sad: :sad: .

Don´t get mad please if someone is a Green Day fan:huh:

blueeyedgirl said:
I'm not too familiar with Green Day's lyrics I'll admit, but how are they insulting to Catholicism? They're just a rock band! :wink:

You should see their videos... or maybe I should see more :) and listen more.

well this is something I have found:

Green Day - Jesus Of Suburbia Lyrics (cover)

I'm the son of rage and love
The Jesus of Suburbia
From the bible of "none of the above"
On a steady diet of soda-pop and Ritalin
No one ever died for my sins in hell
As far as I can tell
At least the ones I got away with....

Green Day - St. Jimmy Lyrics

(I found this title insulting)

... I'm the patron saint of the denial
With an angel face and a taste for suicidal

... My name is St. Jimmy I'm a son of a gun
I am the one that's from the way outside
A teenage assassin executing some fun
And the cult of the life of crime

...Welcome to the club and give me some blood
And the resident leader of the lost and found...

In their video holiday one of the member is dressing as a "father" and he is acting like he was drunk or something, and jesus of suburbia video tells you everything
:huh:

Maybe I´m over reacting but I prefer over react that "under react"

I´m open to suggestions :reject: please if someone thinks Im making a mistake let me know, I don´t want to disqualify any group

I think it's reasonable to not like Green Day for whatever reason, but to act like U2 has betrayed some of their fans by collaborating with them is an overreaction.

Maybe you don't like what you interpret as Green Day's politics, or what you interpret as their religion, or heck, maybe you just don't care for their music, but it's just a collaboration.

As for Jesus of Surburbia, they're not denegrating Jesus or the church or anything. They're telling a story about a teenager. This is the way the teenager thinks.

Does this automatically mean Green Day thinks the same way their character does? No. If I write a book about a serial killer, does that make me a serial killer? No. It's the same thing here.

I think it is one of the best things they have done in a while. If GD & Rubin can inspire them to make inspired, rocking music then wicked! Let Bono stay on vocals - if his guitar is anything to go by, I don't wanna hear his paino [sic].

i cant believe they sang with green day,green day are so over rated.bono should be teaming up with the likes of page and plant or R.E.M,not poxy green day

I don't like Green Day, well maybe I should say that I don't know their work very well, and I wasn't very happy when I knew they they would record a song with U2. But I decided to wait and see before complaining and guess what? I love the song... And the video is very good too.

Green Day pulled off a career reinvigoration without having to drastically alter their core sound. In that respect they did the same thing U2 did, but while still remaining completely true to their punk roots.

Caroni.

You can be offended by whatever you like when it's taken out of context. The fact is that St. Jimmy is self righteous and full of rage and he is the complete failure at the end of the album. He leads the Jesus of Suburbia down the wrong path toward finding the truth.

Another lyric on the album says "the Jesus of Suburbia is a lie."

In the end, it's the humble Whatsername who is the hero. She never falls from grace, she sticks to her ideals, and she uses LOVE as the guiding force in her life.

I don't see it as unChristian at all. It's by no means a religious album but it's certainly not unChristian. The final message is that love and peace are greater than rage and war any time.

I have gained respect for GD in recent years too. Their career is most impressive and they will be remembered as one of the greats, I am sure.

Another lyric on the album says "the Jesus of Suburbia is a lie."

I agree with you this is not anything unChristian. It was only a metaphor for Jimmy as a leader of the movement.

Back
Top Bottom