When Did Bono *Really* Start Smoking? -As Well As The Answers To Many Other Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Michael Griffiths

Rock n' Roll Doggie
When Did Bono *Really* Start Smoking? -As Well As Theories To Many Other Questions

It seems as though everyone takes for granted that Bono smokes and, to me, it seems as though it's pretty much accepted that somehow he always has smoked. Strangely enough, no mention is ever made about the fact that no one had ever seen a cigarette in his mouth prior to 1991. If you asked most U2 fans in 1990, most of them might have said Bono was a non-smoker. This opens up a big can of worms...

For starters, if Bono has always smoked - even throughout the "goody-to-shoe" J.T. years - why then did he suddenly bring it into the public eye in the 90s? And is it "right" that he did that? How many impressionable young fans do you suppose he influenced? I hate to say this, but sometimes I wonder how many U2 fans began smoking because they thought Bono was "so cool". (Maybe I should take a poll?)

Thirdly, if he hasn't smoked all his life, what made him suddenly take it up at the ripe old age of 30? No one starts smoking at 30! Yet as mentioned no had ever seen a cigarette in his mouth prior to then. Adam, yes. Bono, no. I find this all very interesting.

My personal take is that Bono and the boys have always smoked, but had been very good at hiding it until they finally decided not to conceal it anymore (for whatever reasons). I think part of their image in the 80s was that of a "clean" one, and they probably had some conflicting personal ethics at the time, as far as possibly influencing people in a negative way. It's funny that Bono actually went out of his way to glamorize his rock star image by going so far as to light a cigarette for the cameras - with impeccable timing - at the Grammy's in 1993 during the nomination announcements. At that point, I have to wonder if it was still an act, or if Bono had become The Fly. Zooropa won best alternative album, and Bono was at his artistic zenith. He was the living embodiment, and the personification of Sam Sheppard's (paraphrased) line, "Right at the center of contradiction is where the heat is, where the energy is...its where you want to be." This was Bono at his most exciting. That's where he wanted to be, and where many of us fans wanted him to be.

When I see the Bono of today, I sometimes long for that rock star; yet, in the back of my mind, I know that he is more comfortable than ever now with who he is and what he stands for. He's found the balance that the contradictions had finally brought him to (remembering another line from Zoo TV: "Contradiction is balance"). He's no longer being taken for a ride in the same way ("...ready to let go of the steering wheel..."). Now, he's more in the driver's seat. He's playing the politicians, beating them at their own game. He can finally see the big picture rather than just acknowledge that it is there.

I do think that the conversation gets quite dull when everyone knows the answers, and the room that much more empty when no one has an argument. Luckily Bono has an argument - now more than ever. Now that he's taken on himself, and won, he's got his sights set dead on his grandest mission yet.

Will the music suffer because of all of this? I don't think it will. I think there will be plenty for U2 to battle out in the studio. And who knows: this may be where things get really interesting (whether Bono cuts back or not ;))...

(I know I'm going to get burned at the stake for this post.)

Last edited:
Michael Griffiths said:
Bono actually went out of his way to glamorize his rock star image by going so far as to light a cigarette for the cameras - with impeccable timing - at the Grammy's in 1993 during the nomination announcements.
i know! i remember seeing this at the ripe age of 10. i was already a fan, and when they announced it, he was backstage and they showed him with a cigarette and drink in hand. of course, i didn't know yet about ireland being so umm, alcoholic? so i was shocked by this. i was like, this guy bono who my aunt loves and raves about, calling him the "sexiest guy alive" and saying she only likes michael hutchence better because he's not married, and is in such a cool band, is a lush and a chimney? :laugh:

You have to remember and consider though that smoking was not nearly as attacked and villianized in the 80's as it is today. It was before all the 'butt head' commercials and the lawsuits against the tobacco companies which brought about the onslaught of anti-smoking campaigns, and the no smoking laws in buildings. There has always been some sort of 'don't smoke' message going around but it was not like it is now. Back then, the 'cool' characters in movies and shows could still smoke, whereas today, with all the anti-smoking propaganda, now only the 'bad guy' in shows smokes (ever notice that?) and there are subtly laid anti-smoking messages in kids' shows, like 'who wants to go out with him, he SMOKES!!' So, what I'm saying is, back then there would have been no reason to conceal smoking to maintain a 'good' image. As someone who lived through the 80's as a teenager, an older age than most of you were, I can tell you that the 'goody' image you hear about in those days has been highly exaggerated by time and picking up a few words here and there in an article, you tend to form a view of them that wasn't really accurate. I don't think they ever set out to put forth that kind of image, it just happened, because of their well known religious beliefs and that they just weren't wild and outrageous partiers or as promiscuous as most of the other 80's rock stars were.

So, what I mean is, if they did smoke, I don't think they purposely hid it, it's just they never posed with a cigarette until it became part of the image in 1991. I also don't think any kid is going to start smoking because they saw someone on TV do it- they are much more influenced by their peers. Still, I have always wondered just when he started smoking, but not for these reasons. I'm sure someone can enlighten us.

Last edited:
Oh yeah... interesting question.

If Adam smoked before the 90's (did he?), then I wonder why Bono would hide it? And why would it suddenly stop bothering him to be seen smoking in public in the 90's? (image or not)

I think he may have a puff here and then and maybe he started full time smoking in the 90's.

Both Edge and Larry smoke too but not so publically. I think Bono has quit now but has a sneaky snout from time to time.

I must confess to smoking cheroots when I was a student in 1992 rather than cigerattes cos they looked cooler with my 'black leather jacket' look........how I wince now !!

As for young impressionable fans...
:shrug: I was young in the 90's and I saw video for One with the bottle and the cigarette and it didn't make me wanna try either of those things more. Not in the slightest way.

I'd like to think young people are smarter than that and have their own heads to think and would not follow their idols blindly.

And about the "starting at 30" - I know of a man who didn't drink a drop of alcohol till he started at 40 - and let's just say he's not doing well.

I have an additional question: do you think he really started wearing the shades in the 90's? As far as I know, pictures of Bono with sunglasses from earlier time exist. (or Desire video-doesn't he wear sunglasses there?)

U2girl, I have several pics of 80's Bono in shades. He had them on in Rattle and Hum when they went to Graceland too. He always wore them but they didn't become his trademark until ZOOTV.

Here's another one, has anyone ever seen a pic of Bono giving the peace sing prior to AB? I haven't and if anyone has a pic I'd love to see it!

Photographic evidence

Bono with cigar in hand, JT era

jtpimpdaddy.jpg

wickedglance.jpg

bonojt90a.jpg

Bono with cigarette to lips, JT era

jtband11.jpg

There is a pic in existence of just Bono from the scene above, sitting on the bumper of a red car, and not only does he have the cigarette he is blowing the smoke out and you can see it in the pic, I'm still searching for that one, will post it when I find it.

So you see, the old "JT goody goody" image is largely a myth, perpetuated by recent TV documentaries and articles. Sure they didn't party and take in groupies like Poison, but I have seen a lot of misconceptions about the 'po facedness' and 'goodygoodyness' of pre-AB U2 on this forum that is really inaccurate.

So, that out of the way, back to exactly when did he start?

Last edited:
One more, for U2girl, with shades and a cig in his mouth, from the Rattle and Hum book :tongue:

jtbonosmoke.jpg

I remember someone on here (I think it was here) posted some pictures of Larry during the JT tour singing autoghraphs and smoking.

That's the pic! I was half asleep this morning, I should have thought of those pics right away :der: I got to thinking, wait a second, there are lots of pics of him smoking before 1990. Some of you guys just haven't seen them because you don't hang around PLEBA ;)

* MoFo * said:
hmm so what brand of cigs does adam smoke?

lol, I actually think I have a fanzine somewhere that has some interview with Adam (I *think* it might have been a chat transcript or something) where he actually states what brand he likes. I'll try to find it.

All those pics are from the late Rattle & Hum period. (ie: Desire video). He's smoking a butt in that. I think he even has on the same shirt. You can also tell by Edge's sideburns, and Bono's hair. It was that length and color at only that time. So all signs point to his picking up the pace on smoking during that time. BUT in Rattle & Hum, he bums a butt from Adam at a Texas show, for the BB King deal. This was 87, I believe.

In Flannagan's book, it talks about how they didn't smoke early, because of Shalom. It was forbidden. Also, Niall Stokes' there's that quote how they partied out of "reverse guilty" around the mid to late 80s. So there you go. I think they picked it up along the way, and as anyone who smokes knows, when you drink booze or coffee, it makes it very hard to not increase the smoking.

I think the butts escalated in the late 80s and then were the perfect addition to The Fly costume. Afterall, I always picture lounge singers with butts hanging out of their mouth, ala Tony Clifton.

Interesting, I've never seen those Larry pics before!

This, like the other big one, is from the Rattle and Hum companion movie book, so it dates to the early JT period. Look at Bono's hair compared to the ones you said were from the Desire video.

jtbandsmoke.jpg

BTW, the best scenes in Desire he's not wearing ANY shirt, he's barechested under that vest :drool:

desirearms.jpg

*runs back to PLEBA*

I'll be the first to admit that I starting smoking because bono did, and at the age of 22.
it was 1995 and I was going through a tough time; enough said. I basically said "screw it; I've always been against smoking, but I feel like lighting up now." and I actually said at one point "how bad could it be? bono smokes!"
well, that lasted 2 years and then I quit, never to return to cigarettes again. now adays I can't believe I smoked at all.
so I guess I learned that people you look up to make bad decisions in their lives sometimes, and just because they do doesn't mean you do to.:bono:

Cool pics Kristie! I've never seen either one of them before! Now the case is really broken wide open!

U2 Kitten and others:

You raise many good points, especially re: the misconception that U2 were always goody goody prior to 1991, and I've completely agreed with your sentiments pretty much as long as I've been into U2 (which is precisely why I put those terms in quotes). One thing I'm not convinced of, however, is that young U2 fans aren't influenced by the glamorization of smoking as "cool" (ala, The Fly and the whole Zoo TV era pretty much). I know that most kids certainly think for themselves (I certainly did anyway), but I also know that music is a very powerful medium, and people - not just kids - take their music and their music heroes very seriously. Kids sometimes emulate their idols; it's a well known fact. Someone mentioned that peer pressure is a much bigger influence, and I agree. However, some fanatal music fans regard their heroes as peers in some senses. And if someone is in a vulnerable state - as many kids are at that age - and possibly, say, without many friends, they may just take their heroes that much more to heart, as that could be all they feel they have left to hang on to. It does happen.

Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there. I'm not making moral judgments. I'm simpy provoking discussion. Keep it going.

BTW, it's funny how these threads inevitably end up turning into pleba!

Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
BTW, it's interesting how these threads end up turning into PLEBA!

LOL! The PLEBA invasion cannot be stopped! :yes: :p ;)

Here is another cute one of very young Bono holding a cigarette in his left hand:

BBonosmoke2.jpg

Thank you to Scarletwine for digging up and scanning these rare old pics! :) :up: :bow:

Last edited:
A few thoughts from a hardcore U2 trivia buff:

Bono used to light a cigarette onstage during the song Boy/Girl in early gigs, way back in the late 70s (there are some pictures of it on this thread already.) He was doing it to show teenage rebellion - hard to know for certain if he actually smoked way back then though.

In U2 at the End of the World, Bono tells Bill Flanagan that he, Edge and Larry didn't begin smoking until they were nearly in their 30s. He says that it's strange to go for so long without starting and take it up, but that he finds it difficult to be out in public when people are staring at him and he needs something to do with his hands so he doesn't feel as awkward.

Also, Bono's kids hate that he smokes - in a Rolling Stone interview from around the time of ATYCLB, he says something like, "My daughters are always giving me lingering kisses on the mouth. I thought it was because they loved me, but then I found out it was because they were checking to see if I was still smoking."

One final thought - I doubt if his smoking seriously influenced many people - everyone makes their own conscious choices, and would likely make the same ones regardless of what Bono does or doesn't do.

Have a U2ey day!

Michael Griffiths said:
I know that most kids certainly think for themselves (I certainly did anyway), but I also know that music is a very powerful medium, and people - not just kids - take their music and their music heroes very seriously. Kids sometimes emulate their idols; it's a well known fact. Someone mentioned that peer pressure is a much bigger influence, and I agree. However, some fanatal music fans regard their heroes as peers in some senses. And if someone is in a vulnerable state - as many kids are at that age - and possibly, say, without many friends, they may just take their heroes that much more to heart, as that could be all they feel they have left to hang on to. It does happen.

Yes, it does happen. But that doesn't mean that what these kids choose to do with themselves is not their own responsibility. After all, it is them who choose exactly what aspects of their musical idols they prefer to emulate.

Bono has quit smoking or shall is trying to quit smoking bc during one of the shows that I was at he mentioned his problem of not be able to stop to something of this degree.

"Tonight I sound a little crap and I am sorry for that but my hand somehow got into my travel pack and pulled out a cig and put it to my lips and I couldnt help myself"

Its not word for word what he said but its something to that affect. btw that show was the Nov 15 show in Oakland during Elevation!!

Saracene said:

Yes, it does happen. But that doesn't mean that what these kids choose to do with themselves is not their own responsibility. After all, it is them who choose exactly what aspects of their musical idols they prefer to emulate.
At what age do you believe a parent should stop influencing their children's decision making? Take the inverse of that idea, and you might have the answer as to why I disagree with you here.

It was said on the VH1 Legends special that Bono was smoking so heavily during Popmart that he actually had to take oxygen masks between shows just to preserve his voice. Then it said he went to a doctor and the doctor told him he needed to quit immediately or his voice would be damaged permanently. So Bono quit. I was under the impression that this is true...I have yet to see a picture of Bono since 1997-98 of him smoking. As well, I don't think Bono could have gotten the "Operatic Wail" in Hands if he was still puffin' the cancer sticks. I dunno though I could be wrong.

DaveC said:
It was said on the VH1 Legends special that Bono was smoking so heavily during Popmart that he actually had to take oxygen masks between shows just to preserve his voice.

Here he is with the oxygen mask...

00312651.jpg

" 'This is the first time I've ever done an interview like this, and it's a lot of fun," U2's Bono says cheerfully. He is sitting at my desk in the Rolling Stone offices with a cigarette, :)shame: Bono) a cup of coffee and a pile of pictures of his band, taken in the 1990s by acclaimed Dutch photographer Anton Corbijn. In celebration of the release of U2's new greatest-hits collection, The Best and the B-Sides of 1990-2000, Bono is walking through U2's last decade via Corbijn's unique, intimate portraits of the group."

1. That mask in the above pic was the one used for the Elevation tour. I saw the story when it was new. That pic was taken aboard Elevation air. I have heard that he had to use that breathing thing on the airplane or the air on the plane would hurt his voice.

2. The quote I heard about the cigarette in concert was that "a Marlboro light mysteriously found its way into my mouth and mysteriously lit itself" :eeklaugh: I thought that was funny.

3. He does still smoke, at least sometimes. The quote from RS that Amberdawn posted is true, I have the magazine. Several fans who have met him in the last couple of years have said he had a cigarette in his hand.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom