When Did Bono *Really* Start Smoking? -As Well As The Answers To Many Other Questions - Page 3 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 02-01-2003, 01:00 PM   #41
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by pub crawler

Er, Michael, his vocals were just fine on Pop.
I know, I know. On a purely technical level, his vocals on Pop are some of his best ever IMO. What it really comes down to is taste, I guess. I prefer the fuller vocal on albums such as UF, JT, R&H, and AB. By the the time U2 did AB, his voice was beginning the raspy stage, which just added that edge and dimension. By the time they recorded Zooropa, Bono was beginning to lose that fullness, but still had the richness. Zooropa contains some of my all time favourite vocals. 'Zooropa', 'Lemon' and 'Stay' are all incredible, and even 'Some Days Are Better...' has wonderful moments (I love the way he sings, "...and you hear a VOICE, taking you to another place...").

Today, Bono still has an amazing voice. Therefore, I want it also to be clear that I don't think that smoking has ruined Bono's voice. The new version of 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' contains perhaps Bono's best vocals EVER.

Old 02-01-2003, 01:45 PM   #42
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths

I know, I know. On a purely technical level, his vocals on Pop are some of his best ever IMO. What it really comes down to is taste, I guess. I prefer the fuller vocal on albums such as UF, JT, R&H, and AB. By the the time U2 did AB, his voice was beginning the raspy stage, which just added that edge and dimension. By the time they recorded Zooropa, Bono was beginning to lose that fullness, but still had the richness. Zooropa contains some of my all time favourite vocals. 'Zooropa', 'Lemon' and 'Stay' are all incredible, and even 'Some Days Are Better...' has wonderful moments (I love the way he sings, "...and you hear a VOICE, taking you to another place...").

Today, Bono still has an amazing voice. Therefore, I want it also to be clear that I don't think that smoking has ruined Bono's voice. The new version of 'If You Wear That Velvet Dress' contains perhaps Bono's best vocals EVER.

I agree. They're great.

Old 02-01-2003, 03:16 PM   #43
Refugee

Local Time: 08:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by KhanadaRhodes

i didn't know yet about ireland being so umm, alcoholic?
Ireland isn't "so alcoholic". Some people there are alcoholics, yes, but some people in the U.S., the U.K., Canada etc. are alcoholics too.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:14 PM   #44
Ana
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Location: Another Time, Another Place, in The Electric Co. ; behind the Shadows and Tall Trees
Local Time: 12:31 AM

In Mexico we also have HUGE amounts of alcoholics
Old 02-01-2003, 04:52 PM   #45
BAW
The Flower

Local Time: 11:31 PM
ANA!!

I really have no comment about the smoking issue, I was just happy to see Ana
Old 02-02-2003, 04:50 AM   #46
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I want it to be clear to everyone that I don't believe Bono ever tried to "influence" people to smoke. Obviously that was not his intention. I simply think that he glamorized it to some degree, and there have been some impressionable people who were influenced by that as a result. That is a statement that is difficult to argue against. We've even got someone who posted on this thread saying that it happened to them. I'm sure there are many more people that it happened to, other than that one person who just happened to be reading Interference. And yes, it's entirely possible that anyone who would start smoking because of Bono would have smoked anyway, but that is simply a matter of opinion - and really, is besides the point, as the question still remains: which would you prefer to be the initial trigger to someone taking up smoking? Bono's actions (of glamorizing the image of smoking) or something else?
If I remember correctly, the person who mentioned taking up smoking because, after all, Bono was doing it too, has also mentioned going through some hardships at the time. I got the impression that these hard circumstances were the initial trigger that has led to smoking rather than the case of, "oh cool, Bono's smoking, maybe I should start, too!" The glamorisation of smoking undoubtedly has an influence, but the very core reasons run much, much deeper IMO.

About Bono's vocals on AB: it's only my personal perception, of course, but to me they always sounded as if he was trying a bit too hard to make his voice sound deeper and raspier, and some of the vocals sound too forced and strangled. On the other hand, in terms of live singing, ZooTV was probably a peak time for Bono's voice: the power -and- the control all merging together to create manna for the ears, .
Old 02-02-2003, 02:35 PM   #47
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Saracene -

You make a good point about the deeper issues that cause people to make those choices, and I agree with you. That's why I mentioned that very point early in the thread. I never thought that Bono's actions were the primary reason for anything. However, there are all kinds of triggers, as mentioned, and deeper reasons, to me, are a separate issue. I don't have the answers. I'm simply asking the question.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:13 PM   #48
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:31 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ana
In Mexico we also have HUGE amounts of alcoholics
We do in the US too. I know some of them myself I don't know why some countries get stereotyped as drunks, I'm sure we all have them!

HI ANA! So good to see you! I was thinking about you just a few days ago posting some Bono pics I knew you'd like! Please stop by PLEBA more often, we miss you!!
Old 02-02-2003, 09:09 PM   #49
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

The Pictures of Bono smoking attempting to light a cigarette during the Boy area were apart of the stage show, the cigarette act it was called. I'd like to see someone find a picture of any of the bandmembers smoking before 1987 offstage.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:05 PM   #50
Rock n' Roll Doggie
Band-aid

Quote:
Saracene -

You make a good point about the deeper issues that cause people to make those choices, and I agree with you. That's why I mentioned that very point early in the thread. I never thought that Bono's actions were the primary reason for anything. However, there are all kinds of triggers, as mentioned, and deeper reasons, to me, are a separate issue. I don't have the answers. I'm simply asking the question.
I think I had said something like that. let me clarify: I did not start smoking because of bono; I just tried to rationalize it as "hey, how could this be that bad for you? bono and a million others do it".

whatever the triggers were, it doesn't matter now; what matters is that I quit and would never go back.
Old 02-03-2003, 12:25 AM   #51
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by JOFO

I think I had said something like that. let me clarify: I did not start smoking because of bono; I just tried to rationalize it as "hey, how could this be that bad for you? bono and a million others do it".

whatever the triggers were, it doesn't matter now; what matters is that I quit and would never go back.
This is a great example of a discussion bringing positive real life viewpoints to the table. I commend you JOFO for your honesty, as well as for being strong enough to quit!

I think what it comes down to in the end, is Bono is an artist, and has to express himself as one (by that I mean being true to himself and what he's trying to get across). How far should an artist go in that self-expression might be the better question to ask. Perhaps there should be no limits? But we all know there are limits, inherent to the society in which we live. I don't think these questions are meant to necessarily provoke concrete answers - simply a better understanding of how things are and should or should not be. It's really up to us to come with these kinds of conclusions for ourselves, I suppose.
Old 02-03-2003, 02:22 AM   #52
Paper Gods
Forum Administrator

Local Time: 02:31 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Joshua_Tree_Hugger
Ireland isn't "so alcoholic". Some people there are alcoholics, yes, but some people in the U.S., the U.K., Canada etc. are alcoholics too.
thanks for taking one sentence of mine, unrelated to the thread, and quoting it out of context.