When Did Bono *Really* Start Smoking? -As Well As The Answers To Many Other Questions - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 01-31-2003, 02:42 PM   #21
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 07:25 AM
U2 Kitten and others:

You raise many good points, especially re: the misconception that U2 were always goody goody prior to 1991, and I've completely agreed with your sentiments pretty much as long as I've been into U2 (which is precisely why I put those terms in quotes). One thing I'm not convinced of, however, is that young U2 fans aren't influenced by the glamorization of smoking as "cool" (ala, The Fly and the whole Zoo TV era pretty much). I know that most kids certainly think for themselves (I certainly did anyway), but I also know that music is a very powerful medium, and people - not just kids - take their music and their music heroes very seriously. Kids sometimes emulate their idols; it's a well known fact. Someone mentioned that peer pressure is a much bigger influence, and I agree. However, some fanatal music fans regard their heroes as peers in some senses. And if someone is in a vulnerable state - as many kids are at that age - and possibly, say, without many friends, they may just take their heroes that much more to heart, as that could be all they feel they have left to hang on to. It does happen.

Anyway, just thought I'd put that out there. I'm not making moral judgments. I'm simpy provoking discussion. Keep it going.

BTW, it's funny how these threads inevitably end up turning into pleba!

Old 01-31-2003, 02:51 PM   #22
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 02:25 AM
wink

Quote:
Originally posted by Michael Griffiths
BTW, it's interesting how these threads end up turning into PLEBA!
LOL! The PLEBA invasion cannot be stopped!

Here is another cute one of very young Bono holding a cigarette in his left hand:

Thank you to Scarletwine for digging up and scanning these rare old pics!

Old 01-31-2003, 03:05 PM   #23
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:25 AM

Bono, 1981.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:25 PM   #24
Babyface

A few thoughts from a hardcore U2 trivia buff:

Bono used to light a cigarette onstage during the song Boy/Girl in early gigs, way back in the late 70s (there are some pictures of it on this thread already.) He was doing it to show teenage rebellion - hard to know for certain if he actually smoked way back then though.

In U2 at the End of the World, Bono tells Bill Flanagan that he, Edge and Larry didn't begin smoking until they were nearly in their 30s. He says that it's strange to go for so long without starting and take it up, but that he finds it difficult to be out in public when people are staring at him and he needs something to do with his hands so he doesn't feel as awkward.

Also, Bono's kids hate that he smokes - in a Rolling Stone interview from around the time of ATYCLB, he says something like, "My daughters are always giving me lingering kisses on the mouth. I thought it was because they loved me, but then I found out it was because they were checking to see if I was still smoking."

One final thought - I doubt if his smoking seriously influenced many people - everyone makes their own conscious choices, and would likely make the same ones regardless of what Bono does or doesn't do.

Have a U2ey day!
Old 01-31-2003, 05:32 PM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Quote:
I know that most kids certainly think for themselves (I certainly did anyway), but I also know that music is a very powerful medium, and people - not just kids - take their music and their music heroes very seriously. Kids sometimes emulate their idols; it's a well known fact. Someone mentioned that peer pressure is a much bigger influence, and I agree. However, some fanatal music fans regard their heroes as peers in some senses. And if someone is in a vulnerable state - as many kids are at that age - and possibly, say, without many friends, they may just take their heroes that much more to heart, as that could be all they feel they have left to hang on to. It does happen.
Yes, it does happen. But that doesn't mean that what these kids choose to do with themselves is not their own responsibility. After all, it is them who choose exactly what aspects of their musical idols they prefer to emulate.
Old 01-31-2003, 05:36 PM   #26
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Bono has quit smoking or shall is trying to quit smoking bc during one of the shows that I was at he mentioned his problem of not be able to stop to something of this degree.

"Tonight I sound a little crap and I am sorry for that but my hand somehow got into my travel pack and pulled out a cig and put it to my lips and I couldnt help myself"

Its not word for word what he said but its something to that affect. btw that show was the Nov 15 show in Oakland during Elevation!!
Old 01-31-2003, 06:41 PM   #27
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by Saracene

Yes, it does happen. But that doesn't mean that what these kids choose to do with themselves is not their own responsibility. After all, it is them who choose exactly what aspects of their musical idols they prefer to emulate.
At what age do you believe a parent should stop influencing their children's decision making? Take the inverse of that idea, and you might have the answer as to why I disagree with you here.
Old 01-31-2003, 07:43 PM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:25 AM
It was said on the VH1 Legends special that Bono was smoking so heavily during Popmart that he actually had to take oxygen masks between shows just to preserve his voice. Then it said he went to a doctor and the doctor told him he needed to quit immediately or his voice would be damaged permanently. So Bono quit. I was under the impression that this is true...I have yet to see a picture of Bono since 1997-98 of him smoking. As well, I don't think Bono could have gotten the "Operatic Wail" in Hands if he was still puffin' the cancer sticks. I dunno though I could be wrong.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:29 PM   #29
Refugee

Local Time: 03:25 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by DaveC
It was said on the VH1 Legends special that Bono was smoking so heavily during Popmart that he actually had to take oxygen masks between shows just to preserve his voice.

Here he is with the oxygen mask...

" 'This is the first time I've ever done an interview like this, and it's a lot of fun," U2's Bono says cheerfully. He is sitting at my desk in the Rolling Stone offices with a cigarette, ( Bono) a cup of coffee and a pile of pictures of his band, taken in the 1990s by acclaimed Dutch photographer Anton Corbijn. In celebration of the release of U2's new greatest-hits collection, The Best and the B-Sides of 1990-2000, Bono is walking through U2's last decade via Corbijn's unique, intimate portraits of the group."
Old 01-31-2003, 10:29 PM   #30
Blue Crack Addict

1. That mask in the above pic was the one used for the Elevation tour. I saw the story when it was new. That pic was taken aboard Elevation air. I have heard that he had to use that breathing thing on the airplane or the air on the plane would hurt his voice.

2. The quote I heard about the cigarette in concert was that "a Marlboro light mysteriously found its way into my mouth and mysteriously lit itself" I thought that was funny.

3. He does still smoke, at least sometimes. The quote from RS that Amberdawn posted is true, I have the magazine. Several fans who have met him in the last couple of years have said he had a cigarette in his hand.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:57 PM   #31
ONE
love, blood, life

He also used the oxygen mask during the Achtung Baby tour too the Zooropa leg, he had it pumped with steam to soothe his throat. He was quoting as saying it helped him reach "notes he really isn't supposed to hit." He also said the other guys in the band liked him using it because he wasn't allowed to talk for hours.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:07 PM   #32
Acrobat

Local Time: 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by senrab

According to Q Magazine, Adam smokes French Silk Cuts.
ah. cheers mate.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:37 PM   #33
Blue Crack Addict

I think--but don't know, of course--that Bono did some smoking and drinking and stuff before he turned 30. Yes, they had that squeaky-clean image, but that's right about smoking and social acceptability. Smoking wasn't as disreputable as it is now twenty or some odd years ago. Buildings didn't have smoking laws. It was all different.
Old 01-31-2003, 11:56 PM   #34
ONE
love, blood, life

I heard that some singers start smoking because it adds a certain roughness to the voice.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:04 AM   #35
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Quote:
Originally posted by david
I heard that some singers start smoking because it adds a certain roughness to the voice.
Well, it worked brilliantly on Achtung Baby. Unfotunately, that's where it ended. But hey, we got one brilliant album out of his perfectly raspy vocals.

I think it's a delicate balance. If you get too raspy, the vocals just sound flat (which I think is what happened on Pop and even during some of the Elevation shows). On AB, however, Bono could switch back forth, almost simultaneously, between the full out vocal, the mid range tenor, and into the throaty edges. Just listen to 'One' for a perfect example. For that one album, the cigs gave him that perfectly imperfect voice.
Old 02-01-2003, 12:40 AM   #36
Blue Crack Addict

Location: In a dimension known as the Twilight Zone...do de doo doo, do de doo doo...
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
You have to remember and consider though that smoking was not nearly as attacked and villianized in the 80's as it is today. It was before all the 'butt head' commercials and the lawsuits against the tobacco companies which brought about the onslaught of anti-smoking campaigns, and the no smoking laws in buildings. There has always been some sort of 'don't smoke' message going around but it was not like it is now. Back then, the 'cool' characters in movies and shows could still smoke, whereas today, with all the anti-smoking propaganda, now only the 'bad guy' in shows smokes (ever notice that?) and there are subtly laid anti-smoking messages in kids' shows, like 'who wants to go out with him, he SMOKES!!' So, what I'm saying is, back then there would have been no reason to conceal smoking to maintain a 'good' image. As someone who lived through the 80's as a teenager, an older age than most of you were, I can tell you that the 'goody' image you hear about in those days has been highly exaggerated by time and picking up a few words here and there in an article, you tend to form a view of them that wasn't really accurate. I don't think they ever set out to put forth that kind of image, it just happened, because of their well known religious beliefs and that they just weren't wild and outrageous partiers or as promiscuous as most of the other 80's rock stars were.

So, what I mean is, if they did smoke, I don't think they purposely hid it, it's just they never posed with a cigarette until it became part of the image in 1991. I also don't think any kid is going to start smoking because they saw someone on TV do it- they are much more influenced by their peers. Still, I have always wondered just when he started smoking, but not for these reasons. I'm sure someone can enlighten us.

I totally agree with you on this.

Same with what Saracene and amberdawn said in regards to Bono "influencing" people to smoke.

Angela
Old 02-01-2003, 01:09 AM   #37
Rock n' Roll Doggie

I want it to be clear to everyone that I don't believe Bono ever tried to "influence" people to smoke. Obviously that was not his intention. I simply think that he glamorized it to some degree, and there have been some impressionable people who were influenced by that as a result. That is a statement that is difficult to argue against. We've even got someone who posted on this thread saying that it happened to them. I'm sure there are many more people that it happened to, other than that one person who just happened to be reading Interference. And yes, it's entirely possible that anyone who would start smoking because of Bono would have smoked anyway, but that is simply a matter of opinion - and really, is besides the point, as the question still remains: which would you prefer to be the initial trigger to someone taking up smoking? Bono's actions (of glamorizing the image of smoking) or something else?

Once again, I'm not trying to point fingers; I'm simply trying to have an open discussion. This could end up leading to a discussion on violence in films and what role that plays in N. American society, too. It's funny that what started out as Bono imitating art (Elvis, Jim Morrison, Lou Reed...), ended up influencing life once again. It's the age old debate - art imitating life or the other way around? It's a full circle that never stops, always repeats itself, yet evolves nonetheless...
Old 02-01-2003, 03:48 AM   #38
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 11:25 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2Kitten
1. That mask in the above pic was the one used for the Elevation tour. I saw the story when it was new. That pic was taken aboard Elevation air. I have heard that he had to use that breathing thing on the airplane or the air on the plane would hurt his voice.

Funny... I saw this picture when it was "new" as well - and it was during the POPMart era.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:04 AM   #39
New Yorker

Quote:

Well, it worked brilliantly on Achtung Baby. Unfotunately, that's where it ended. But hey, we got one brilliant album out of his perfectly raspy vocals.

I think it's a delicate balance. If you get too raspy, the vocals just sound flat (which I think is what happened on Pop and even during some of the Elevation shows).

Er, Michael, his vocals were just fine on Pop.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:33 AM   #40
Blue Crack Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by doctorwho

Funny... I saw this picture when it was "new" as well - and it was during the POPMart era.
Maybe it was a different one, every time I've ever seen that pic, it was always labeled as being aboard Elevation air. It told how Bono had complained that some airlines' bad air quality damaged his voice, and how he had to use that thing. The only way to tell for sure is if we can get a bigger version and see if h he as any hair

And I still don't think any kid is going to smoke just because Bono looks cool with a cigarette He's not the only famous person out there smoking either, and I still believe kids are more influenced by the other kids they hang around with.

*resists temptation to post several pics of Bono looking so gorgeous in One with the cigarette in the picture*