What's your favourite Edge guitar solo?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'd have to say the slide solos in "even better than the real thing" and "mysterious ways". Also the chaotic solos at the end of "last night on earth" and "until the end of the world". Hmmmmm. Now that I think about it - U2 has some strange apocolyptic-esque tunes.

~z~

------------------
" You love this town - even if that doesn't ring true. You've been all over, and it's been all over you " - Bono

" Don't you know there ain't no Devil, that's just God when he's drunk " - Tom Waits

Hey hey...I forgot to mention that the solo for New York when performed live is jaw-dropping and absolutely one of Edge's best ever solos.

------------------
Your sun so bright it leaves no shadows, only scars
Carved into stone on the face of earth
The moon is up and over One Tree Hill
We see the sun go down in your eyes

Bullet the Blue Sky is Edge being Page. Every version is fantastic.

Kite. Great solo. Leaves me having to start the song over because the solo is just too damn short!
wink.gif

Until the End of the World. Boston DVD. You never want this song to end!

I like "The Fly" solo on the album and on the Boston DVD best. I would have put in the recent "Bullet the Blue Sky" solo that he's been doing over the past decade as number 1 but b/c it is a little retro (still great) I have to place it 2nd. "The Fly" just sounds different then most guitar solos that I've heard in my life.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 02-20-2002).]

Also I love the slide that he does in "Even Better than the Real Thing"... actually that song might be 2nd best for me when I think about it.

When I think about it more...

The "Ground Beneath Her Feet" has a good guitar part at the end, but it needs the 2nd guitar to really work so I guess that can't count, huh?

I happen to like some of Edge's guitar "solos" on Rain covers. Don't remember how the orignal sounds and the Edge's playing is messy on bits, but hey they are still fun to listen to.

I also have a heart for the 2nd guitar on "The Sweetest Thing." The guitar part they added.

"With or Without You" at the end and with the "We'll shine like summer stars..." part. Its short, sweet, and simple.

Wow there are lot of memorable Edge guitar moments.
wink.gif

Hey speaking of great solos, Creed has some great solos.

------------------
~ "You can't resist her. She's in your bones. She is your marrow and your ride home. You can't avoid her. She's in the air; in between molecules of oxygen and carbon dioxide." ~ RC

The Fly - simple but reminscient of the great guitar solos of David Gilmore. A minimilists approach at placing just the perfect notes over the song. It makes me shiver sometimes!

Love is Blindness - Fits the atmosphere of the song perfectly! I almost believe the guitar is weeping!

Also: Lady With The Spinning Head, Bullet the Blue Sky, the solo played over One Tree Hill at the Point Depot

------------------
"Here it is, revenge to the tune;
your no good.
your no good, your no good, your no good
Can't you tell, it's well understood?"
Elliott Smith - Waltz#2

Deep In The Heart & Stateless are two of the more obscure favorites of mine. DITH is Edge out in the either, & Stateless is Edge reinventing the guitar yet again!

Your Blue Room has a nice subtle solo towards the end...

Yeah I really like "Your Blue Room" and the guitar in it... I forgot about that one. I like it b/c it sounds different compared to other songs I've listened to.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Flying FuManchu (edited 02-20-2002).]

Another obscure one: Street Mission. Edge's longest to date I believe

------------------
'Closer than ever to everybody's wife'

Did Edge really do that solo in "Street Mission?" I think its a fine solo but just doesn't sound like Edge nor does it seem plausible b/c Bono is a lousy guitarist at that time and the song has two guitars with going on. Also doesn't even remind me of Edge in terms of style though... Can someone confirm for sure?

------------------

All I Want Is You, that my fav Edge guitar solo!! I just love the way he goes off at the end, I wuv it!

------------------
Love will make you mine...
Creep up from behind...
Get you jumping out of your skin...
Angel, it's sink or swim.

(??.?(?*?.? ?.?*?)?.??)
?.???. *Monica*.???.?
(?.??(?.??* *??.?)??.)

Has anyone noticed that Edge's guitar solo's seem to be getting shorter? If you agree, why do you think this is the case?

Originally posted by Whitty:
Has anyone noticed that Edge's guitar solo's seem to be getting shorter? If you agree, why do you think this is the case?

No i think they are about the same... The Edge was never really soloist. The live version of New York, Walk On, When I Look at the World... these songs have relatively long solos...

------------------

Oh heck yeah!! It's all about Until the End of the World!!!!!!!! That song = pumps me up!!

------------------
Q: What did U2 use for power instead of electricity to create their albums?

A: Up until Rattle & Hum, all of the U2 albums were recorded by harnessing the power of fermenting potatoes to symbolize um, the plight of Ireland.

Sifl: No way.

Olly: I know.

-The Sifl & Olly Show

Back
Top Bottom