What's your favorite thing about Adam's bass playing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
I have no idea how to give examples for this one, he's the toughest one to do, as bass is the least notable of all the instruments.

I guess i like everything he plays, from the thick, consistent sounds of War and UF, to the tight sounds of JT and R&H, to the groovy bass of AB/Zooropa/Pop, to the variety of ATYCLB's bass lines.
He really blends well with Larry's drums.

My favorite Adam's song is probably Mission Impossible theme - i love that bass line. From U2 songs, probably Tryin' to throw your arms around the world. He sounds so calming...
------------------
"It's about finding your way into the music." - Edge

"Something inside said this could be everything in your life." - Bono

"U2 as a band does things nobody one else can. I think that is a very powerful thing." - Larry

"Adam believed in the band before anyone did." - Bono

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-18-2001).]

Nope, I haven't slept with Adam! Anyway...I know he's got many other great moments in songs but when I think of Adam I immediately think of Gloria, New Year's Day, and With or Without You.

------------------
And so happy Xmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

As I have said many times on this board, his bass line in Bullet is simply orgasmic live.

I label his bass playing as "thick dub". His sound has gotten fatter, smoother, more melodic and rythmic over the past ten years. In the early years many times I get the feeling like he's trying to hard to compete with Edge.

I think he said recently (in the past year or so) "I may not be the greatest bassist, but I am the bassist in U2." He understands now what he brings to the group and the music in a way I don't think he understood for the first ten years.

In many respects, his playing is very much like his personality, as Flanagen notes in U2 ATEOTW. Very much smooth and laid back.

Adam and Edge should do an album of ambient music without Larry or Bono. I guarentee that it would be a critical success and that it would be driven by Adam's bass playing.

They really need to turn up the bass in the next album. I get so pissed off when I listen to U2 albums, because they mix the bass so low many times, which is really sad considering how good it is.

Not that every song has to be booming bass, but ATYCLB I noticed was very quiet on the lower end many times...

I love the bassline for I still haven't found. New years day has a cool one.
I'm not very good when it comes to basslines in general but they seem to be pretty boring but Adams are almost songs themselves, melodies totally different from the songs but still it fits in so perfect that you don't really notice until you put all your attention on only the bass. The same with Larry's drums, they can have "melodies" themselves if you seperate them from the rest of the music.
I guess this is what makes U2 so special.
biggrin.gif

------------------
"U2 on it?s own is a very interesting group and all. But U2 with it?s audience is a culture" - Bono

http://community.webshots.com/user/misszooropa
Pictures from Copenhagen (shirtless ones), London and Dublin, Slane.

All I can say is that the bass lines for 'New Years Day' and 'With or Without You' are two of the most recognizable in music history. I personaly like 'Mysterious Ways' and 'So Cruel'

My favourite bass line is Bad. I had accidentally turned up the bass in my discman one day, heard it, and nearly fainted. There's something so right about it...

His attitude.

------------------
~ME THREE

Don't get sentimental
It always ends up drivel

I like the way Adam chills out while playing bass. The way he smokes so casually...his chin up in the air.
biggrin.gif

Adam owns POP, imho.

-sula

I like the way he moves, he just looks relaxed and comfortable. But my favorite moment of Adam playing is in the ZooTv Australia film, when Bono comes out from backstage and he's dressed like MacPhisto. It's during Lemon, and the cannon's shoot off with the fake money. Adam jumps because it looks like he wasnt ready for them to go off and he got scared! I felt bad for him, but he looks so cute when it happens!

------------------
---my thoughts on THEHEPCAT'S pictures--- hmm Hep's pretty cute......wow Hep's at the united center in Chicago...I was at that show.....hey....that guy next to him is really cute too........*2 minutes later* OH MY GOSH!!!! DUH that's Larry!!!!!!----
yeah.....i'm blonde

Adam is one of the greatest bassists ever in my opinion. He adds a depth and in particular rhythm to U2s songs. For once in a band the bass is actually a significant part like it should be and does something more than to just harmonise with the tune/lead guitarist.

Best Adam U2 songs
New Years Day
Bad
ISHFWILF
WOWY
Bullet the Blue Sky

The whole of AB and Pop

Originally posted by popkidu2:

I label his bass playing as "thick dub". His sound has gotten fatter, smoother, more melodic and rythmic over the past ten years.

They really need to turn up the bass in the next album. I get so pissed off when I listen to U2 albums, because they mix the bass so low many times, which is really sad considering how good it is.

Not that every song has to be booming bass, but ATYCLB I noticed was very quiet on the lower end many times...

well said popkidu2, adam's style has evolved a great deal since the early days, though some of my favorites are still from October & War. Back then his style was simple, powerful, with a very melodic rhythm.
Adam's best work overall is pOp and AB ( luv PLEASE, IYWTVD, MW), I am hoping he gets a chance to shine on the next record.
smile.gif

during this past tour, a highlight for me was to just watch him play upclose.....*that was the best!!*

------------------
"it's goin' off in the heart!!..." - Bono

sunlight, sunlight fills my room
it's sharp and it's clear
but nothing at all like the moon..."

*+*MaRiA*+*

U2 Photo Album

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
I like the way Adam chills out while playing bass. The way he smokes so casually...his chin up in the air.
biggrin.gif

Adam owns POP, imho.

-sula

sula, girl...you said it! I love the way Adam is just so cool with the bass. *swoons* POP rocks!

biggrin.gif

------------------
She not waiting on a saviour to come
She's at a bus stop with the news of the world and the sun sun here it comes
She's not waiting for anyone

Please
Gone
Bullet the Blue Sky
Beautiful Day (if the bass wasn't there, it wouldn't be the same)
One (very melodic)
Mysterious Ways (his grooviest song)
Zoo Station

And I'm forgetting many many many songs...

------------------
In the beginning, the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry, and been widely regarded as a bad move.
--Douglas Adams (The Restaurant at the End of the Universe)

Yes. Adam just looks so damn *cool* playing the bass.

Some favorite bass moments:

Bass line in WoWY - the human heartbeat. aahhh.

Bass line in NYD - it just rocks.

The transition from the intro to the main song in Streets. The bass line just kicks in and moves it from 3/4 to 4/4. I don't know why but I just love it when that happens in the song.

Yep, he's just a smooth mofo...

------------------
And so happy Xmas
For black and for white
For yellow and red ones
Let's stop all the fight

Well since i mentioned several fave songs for the other 3, i think Adam should get some more:

New Year's Day
Bad/Pride
WOWY
God part II
Mysterious ways/One/EBTTRT/Zoo Station
Babyface
Gone
In a little while/Elevation/Wild honey
Always

Originally posted by U2girl:
as bass is the least notable of all the instruments.

Have you ever heard Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Les Claypool from Primus? They would kick your ass for saying that.

Primus Sucks!!

CK

Originally posted by TheU2:
Have you ever heard Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Les Claypool from Primus? They would kick your ass for saying that.

Primus Sucks!!

CK

I know Flea. What i meant was the bass is less apparent sonically than a guitar or drums.

Also, the sound of the bass varies on U2's albums. ATYCLB is probably the weakest in that department. The bass is clearer on any other U2 album.
Also, it really varies from song to song (for me, at least). There are songs where i can hear the bass loud and clear, and there are songs when i just don't.

Back
Top Bottom