What's with Van Dieman's Land?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr_Phes

The Fly
What's with Van Dieman's Land? The song that is... Not the place - I live there, I know exactly what's with it.

But anyway...

In the cover sleeve of Rattle and Hum the lyrics to Van Dieman's Land has 5 versus, but when playing the song it fades out after the 4th verse. There's No 5th verse.

The 5th verse, which is:

Still the gun man rules and the widow pays
A scarlet coat and a black beret
They thought that blood and sacrifice
Could out of death bring forth a life

I haven't been able to find a MP3 with the 5th verse either.

What's the point including the 5th verse in the lyrics of the album sleeve if its not on the album?

Did it ever get played live in its entirity?

No big deal really, just got me wondering.

Yes it was played live during the Lovetown Tour. Not sure how many times. Check out *******.com and you can see which shows they played it. It did not incude the 5th verse.

------------------
Cookie Manwhore

Maybe they felt that the 5th verse was a little to much "in your face". Not that the band has ever backed away from their beliefs. But that verse doesn't mince words. Maybe they were just not comfortable with singing it in the end, but made that decision after the album sleeve was done. Who knows.....

------------------
To use the old hippy saying, it ain't where you're from, it's where you're at. And right now. If you're listening to this CD, you're already watching the sunset in your mind, feeling the heat on your skin and whilling away the hours. Simply chilled. Best way to keep it, really. -Matthew Kershaw - Ibiza Sunset.

Back
Top Bottom