What's "WILATW" about?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hmmm...that is interesting...

When I hear it I feel it was Bono speaking to God - singing about his own impatience in seeing the "glory" of God's creation at times...

But the Pope may work...I need to hear it again...

OH BROTHER..
The Pope?
WRONG.
Its about 2 ppl figuring out who is genuine about a relationship and who is not..
This is an easy one..

Diamond

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

http://www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

http://members.aol.com/diamondbruno9/

This is just my personal interpretation, obviously. I tend not to see it to be about just God, but I see a holy trinity scheme (Father, Son, and Holy Ghost) at work here (like with "The First Time"). This is how I understood it when I first heard the song, and ever since, I can't get help but see it that way.

to me, the first verse could be about the Holy Spirit:

"I see an expression
So clear and so true
That it changes the atmosphere
When you walk into the room"

The second verse is about his baby son (he and Ali just had Elijah Bob right before the making of the album):

"When the night is someone else's
And you're trying to get some sleep
When your thoughts are too expensive
To ever want to keep"

The final verse is about God, the Father:

"I'm in the waiting room
Can't see for the smoke
I think of you and your holy book
While the rest of us choke"

Just my opinion, but that's the great thing about Bono's lyrics... There's all kinds of ways you can interpret them.

-U2 Commie

I believe it is Bono talking to Jesus. It would fit in with the point of view he has taken on many other songs (peace on earth, wake up dead man, UTEOTW). It is Bono's own struggle to see the great plan in all the world and his inability to see the world through the eyes of the lord. Bono has long written songs about his own struggles with maintaining faith in the face of all the horrible things he sees in the world.
I do think the verse that starts "when the night is someone elses" is a brief pov change. He has also used this style in songs like "Falling at your feet." Obviously it could be about another holy man, but the closing verse seems so sad and desperate that I don't really think Bono would say that to anybody but Jesus himself. Remember Bono is a protestant, not a catholic, he doesn't have quite the reverence for the pope as catholics do. Not that he doesn't respect the man greatly, just not quite the reverence conveyed in this songs.

Umm, I'm positive it's directed at Jesus, for two reasons:

1) "I think of you and your holy book"
Could that be any more clear?

2) I asked Bono.

Originally posted by sulawesigirl4:
If you can provide a link, I'd be happy to read it. Or maybe you can ask Bono next time you jump up on stage.

OK Bethany-
I guess the 'smoke' at the end of the song where we 'choke' is my misinterpretationn as well..let alone not seeing thru the "smoke"..
U2Girl is right on her 1st take..about someone tryin to see the world thru someone else's perspective then realizing that person is full of it-hence the choking,expensive thoughts..("I try"..) yadie yadie.

Re. One-
1.-Read an article/interview in Rolling Stone Fall of 1991(album release-start of ZooTV Tour 1st Leg) where Bono clearly indicated it was about the DISILLUSIONMENT of Edge's marraige..look it up as I am NOT computer literate..just ask JesseU2 who occassionally slaps me upside the head while he's tryin to teach me along w/Sicy's verbal assaults.
2.-In LegendsVH1 recently, Edge deadpanned into the camera and said when fans tell him that One was their wedding song..he said "That song WOULD NOT be their wedding song if they KNEW the ORIGINAL MEANING of that song".

U2Girl -of course So Cruel is about Edge's divorce as well..even more graphic here.

As far as One's multiple meaning Aids..and all that is the broad concept I alluded to earlier.

As far as stage diving again no plans -not that you give a shit.

And it makes me giggle after being a stalwart,ardent, loyal fan of 20 yrs when these songs were released ORIGINALLY I was there in the PRESENT,and attending the shows in the PRESENT..And all these booksmart sophmoric fans attempting to approach me with what they UNDERSTAND to be TRUE AND CORRECT meaning of songs and protocol.I think this is WHY Bono asked that I remain w/him on stage once I told him- "20 YEARS Bono,20 YEARS Bono Ive been wanting to MEET YOU..
And then he said-"Stay"
then-"Are you alright?"
I replied -'yes'
And then coregraphed me into the remainder of the encore..

An enriching humbling experience that I or those that witnessed it will never forget..

Later
Diamond

------------------
"...The big guy is made of STEEL." - Bono as we stood together on stage at Boston #4, June 9th, 2001.

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

[This message has been edited by Diamond The U2 Patriot (edited 12-05-2001).]

Oh, forgot to add (and this is kind of interesting) Bono said the character in WILATW addressing Jesus is based on Ali.

Don't post much but I thought this would help. I stopped in a bookstore a while ago, and took a glance at the updated version of the book that has all the meanings behind U2 songs, I think it's called Into the Heart. Anyways, I read the part about WILATW, and it had quotes from Bono stating, if my memory serves me correctly, that the song was about Ali. That he wish he could see things the way she does, more optomistic I guess. That's the jist of it I think, can't remember anymore details about it, but you guys know where to look it up.

Originally posted by dwanderer:
Don't post much but I thought this would help. I stopped in a bookstore a while ago, and took a glance at the updated version of the book that has all the meanings behind U2 songs, I think it's called Into the Heart. Anyways, I read the part about WILATW, and it had quotes from Bono stating, if my memory serves me correctly, that the song was about Ali. That he wish he could see things the way she does, more optomistic I guess. That's the jist of it I think, can't remember anymore details about it, but you guys know where to look it up.

Yes. I was just about to post this. I saw the same book.
smile.gif

Originally posted by Diamond The U2 Patriot:
OH BROTHER..
The Pope?
WRONG.
Its about 2 ppl figuring out who is genuine about a relationship and who is not..
This is an easy one..

Whew! Thanks for setting the record straight. I *hate* it when people think there could be more than one meaning to a song!

Originally posted by Spiral_Staircase:
Whew! Thanks for setting the record straight. I *hate* it when people think there could be more than one meaning to a song!

O.K. smarty pants!
Listen..I think most songs start out w/an original/core meaning..
like this one is about a cpl goin thru counseling or something..and she smokes too..
Jesus and God dont smoke last time I checked..
however there is an 'adapabilty' factor to most U2 songs broadening a song's meaning..
Same w/One-
Orig. bout Edge's divorce..
later about indivuality and band unity..
Late-
Thank You-
DB9

------------------

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

O.K. smarty pants!
Listen..I think most songs start out w/an original/core meaning..
like this one is about a cpl goin thru counseling or something..and she smokes too..
Jesus and God dont smoke last time I checked..
however there is an 'adapabilty' factor to most U2 songs broadening a song's meaning..
Same w/One-
Orig. bout Edge's divorce..
later about indivuality and band unity..
Late-
Thank You-
DB9

Woah. I was following along alright but this turn just totally lost me. Are we talking about the same song? Huh?

btw, you got 'One' backwards. Originally about band unity, later about divorce.

p.s. I assume your reference to smoking comes from the line "can't see through the smoke." Did you ever consider that that's most likely a reference to disaster and confusion? Not being able to see through the smoke is a common allusion when refering to those sorts of things and fits the song very well. Ergo, we as humans can't see through the veil of confusion that is around us and everpresent in our world, but God can and we'd like to be able to see as he sees. And anyways, how do you know that God doesn't smoke?
tongue.gif

[This message has been edited by sulawesigirl4 (edited 12-05-2001).]

I thought WILATW was a conversation between 2 persons, where the other person is represented by the "so i try to be like you" chorus..it's about not being able to put yourself in someone else's shoes.
Or, i see it as a thoughtful song about the world in general.

Where did you read about One being about Edge's divorce (sure you're not talking about So Cruel?) and about the band unity?

The explanation i read about says that One speaks of a man who has AIDS and is talking to his father.
Personally, i think it is about relationships per se-not necessarily about Edge's.

[This message has been edited by U2girl (edited 12-05-2001).]

No Bethany I disagree..
Read a early interview w/Bono bout the ORIGINAL meaning,before you even heard of Flannagan..

Thank You-
Diamond
kisses

------------------

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

No Bethany I disagree..
Read a early interview w/Bono bout the ORIGINAL meaning,before you even heard of Flannagan..

Thank You-
Diamond
kisses

If you can provide a link, I'd be happy to read it. Or maybe you can ask Bono next time you jump up on stage.

Originally posted by mug222:
Oh, forgot to add (and this is kind of interesting) Bono said the character in WILATW addressing Jesus is based on Ali.

So Mug-
You were serious about ACTUALLY CONVERSATING w/Bono about this?
If so please elaborate..

Thanks-
Diamond

------------------

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

And it makes me giggle after being a stalwart,ardent, loyal fan of 20 yrs when these songs were released ORIGINALLY I was there in the PRESENT,and attending the shows in the PRESENT..And all these booksmart sophmoric fans attempting to approach me with what they UNDERSTAND to be TRUE AND CORRECT meaning of songs and protocol.I think this is WHY Bono asked that I remain w/him on stage once I told him- "20 YEARS Bono,20 YEARS Bono Ive been wanting to MEET YOU..
And then he said-"Stay"
then-"Are you alright?"
I replied -'yes'
And then coregraphed me into the remainder of the encore..

First of all, the song One is something that "fell out of the sky" to quote Bono, a "gift" and even U2 wouldn't claim to know every single interpreatation of it- which is what makes it a great song, so don't put other people down for posting what they think it's about.

Second of all- maybe Bono was so nice b/c he IS an unbelievable guy, plus he didn't want to get slammed in the papers about letting a fan get beat up on stage! Your moment was v. special to you- but must you post about it every two minutes?

EP & DWanderer: I've also read that WILATW is about Ali, her optisim, same thing you said.
smile.gif

------------------
Bono: There is a bit of my guitar playing, but honestly it's sad.
Larry: It is. But Bono looks great with it.

Devotion And some appreciation
Little heavy rotation Looks good on me

* U2 Take Me Higher *

Olive-
I don't think you attended that show..so you really werent there to offer an 'expert' opinon.

And I don't think Bono was thinkin about press reports in those moments..as he is a genuine person.

When I have a dozen fans or better at every show approach me and tell me that was one of the most beautiful,touching moments that THEY every witnessed at a U2 concert again I stand by original statement..I WAS HUMBLED by the event. And I would appreciate it if you didnt attempt to disparge me or my character any furthur.
And then at the Phx Show Bono acknowledges me a no. of times takes the American Flag from my children and at the end of the show,pulls up my little girls, gets on his knees and plays his guitar to them, handing my 8 yr. old his pick asking her to strum the strings and having them handed back down to me,right before R. Johnson's entry,- again, I am HUMBLED- as were the 20000 on hand in that arena, and I DONT think Bono was looking for good press,only demonstating what a super human being he is.

Olive ,if you havn't figured it out yet, I am about accuracy,historical accuracy..and a GENUINE LOVE FOR THIS BAND.

And when Bono said that in 1991 in Rolling Stone about the DISILLUSIONMENT OF EDGE'S MARRIAGE before that tour and Edge recently made the comments on the VH1 alluding to the fact that One is MORE about ppl splitting up then a band unity song,well that is something YOU can take up w/Bono and Edge just as soon as Bono is finished reading your Little Prince book.

Thank You-
Diamond

and I dont post every 2 mins about Bos. 4 !thanks-

------------------

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

Olive- I don't think you attended that show..so you really werent there to offer an 'expert' opinon.

actually two of my very best friends were there. They also said what happened made them scared and nervous that Bono was going to get hurt. Whether or not he did or could have isn't the question- but that's what they thought. Don't patronize me.

And I don't think Bono was thinkin about press reports in those moments..as he is a genuine person.

I'm sure he was not thinking about the press. But I'm also sure that it's in his character to be overly kind even when situations
may not warrant it- i'm not attempting to take away from your moment.

Olive ,if you havn't figured it out yet, I am about accuracy,historical accuracy..and a GENUINE LOVE FOR THIS BAND.

um, as we all are...

And when Bono said that in 1991 in Rolling Stone about the DISILLUSIONMENT OF EDGE'S MARRIAGE before that tour and Edge
recently made the comments on the VH1 alluding to the fact that One is MORE about ppl splitting up then a band unity song,well
that is something YOU can take up w/Bono and Edge just as soon as Bono is finished reading your Little Prince book.

Once again, don't patronize me.

Secondly, I'm sure One is partly about that. Plus the band breaking up. Plus the hurt that results from any love relationship. Plus many things we might not even realize. I saw that VH1 special- he said it is not a wedding song. I didn't say it was a wedding song, either DB- I just said that it's not strictly limited to being about a relationship breaking up, and not to begrudge anyone their opinion on that.

and I dont post every 2 mins about Bos. 4 !thanks-

sorry, must not be reading all your posts...

------------------

* U2 Take Me Higher *

DB9....no one doubts that you love this band or that you're happy about your time on stage with Bono, however it came about. But can't you see that the reason so many people take issue with you is because of your antagonistic attitude? Aren't we all here to share the U2 love and share opinions and information? It looks to me like you came roaring into this post looking to stir things up when everyone else was just trying to share opinions!

I believe this thread is about When I Look at the World and other song-related topics. Let's stick to that, por favor. I'm interested about this Ali angle to the song, if anyone has more information about it.

Originally posted by oliveu2cm:
sorry, must not be reading all your posts...

So one of your 2 friends was there,
I presume She Is Raging is one of them as I partied w/her after Prov.2.

Having said that,once Bono read my motives, the situation,and asked security a half a dozen times to either take their hands off of me,to back off,and then TO GET THE FUCK OFF OF HIM! BONO KNEW HE WAS NEVER in danger,and if your 'best friends' reported this SIMPLE FACT accurately there would be no reason for this post.But again this post is for ACCURACY sakes- if in fact that is what you are after, Olive.

2nd point-
Apparently- Bono's kindness now warranted it now didn't it?(*If it didnt he would of asked me to leave stage rather quickly wouldn't you agree?) Or do we need to debate that?
remember-
-He changed lyrics around-"big guy is MADE OF STEEL"
-Asked me to pick him up-(twice)
-take a lap for him..
-chatted ,embraced eachother.Jim Sullivan Bos Globe called it "BONDED WITH"
The main reason Iam responding here,is that what YOU are portraying here ia an attempted revision of what happened.. Even Boston Fans at the recent Phx. Show held up signs thanking Bono for rescuing ONE OF US,which Bono warmly smiled at.and if you are goin quote me print the entire quote so that it doesn't appear that you're taking things out of context.

Velvet, I have a strong personality yes, I don't want to come across as a bully cuz I am not. If you asked fans that actually met me spent time w/me you would think the contrary.
BTW- Nice sign at Prov.2 that you and your girlfriend made for Handsome.

And Bethany- Its all your fault.

Diamond

------------------

---
-curious? click
links for
Bono/Dimon-
Bos.4 Story
Pics..

And Bethany- Its all your fault.

I generally go by sula around here. And you can tell yourself whatever you want. It makes no difference to me.

So one of your 2 friends was there,
I presume She Is Raging is one of them as I partied w/her after Prov.2.

Nope. i dont even know if she went to boston 4.

Having said that,once Bono read my motives, the situation,and asked security a half a dozen times to either take their hands off of me,to back off,and then TO GET THE FUCK OFF OF HIM! BONO KNEW HE WAS NEVER in danger,and if your 'best friends' reported this SIMPLE FACT accurately there would be no reason for this post.But again this post is for ACCURACY sakes- if in fact that is what you are after, Olive.

if you read my above quote, DB you have saw that I said about my "best friends": Whether or not he did or could have isn't the question- but that's what they thought. Again- someone's opinion that you are not respecting.

to be honest, i don't even care anymore. I just got annoyed when you said the reason Bono kept you onstage is b/c you are a 20 year fan- as if he'd kick off a 2 year or 10 year fan. And then made assumption that because of that, you and no one else knew what One was about.

------------------

* U2 Take Me Higher *

It's Bono talking to Jesus, telling Him that he's having a hard time seeing the beauty in the world and in the people the same way that Christ does....it's hard when you're a (mere) human!

Back
Top Bottom