Whats the thought about U2 on kiddie shows. - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-23-2004, 10:43 AM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 01:32 PM
Whats the thought about U2 on kiddie shows.

What does people think about U2 appearing on totp and cduk? I myself think that they are lowering themselves to appear on CDUK and TOTP. From 1982 (last apperance on totp with 2 Hearts beat as one, that is in the studio) to 2000 they never appeared on these kiddie shows and showed that they were above this. All they used to do with regard to shows like this was send a live performance (like for "One" in 1992 from a soundcheck at a gig in USA great performance) or play the video. This was for me that set them apart, not having to appear on these kiddie shows to promote records etc. Then in 2000 they went on totp in the studio and cduk in the studio and thats when it changed, the desperate need to sell records or so it seems, to sell to the popkids. When in 1992 Bono said backstage at a gig for Zoo TV "We might lose a few pop kids, but we don't need them". What has happened to that attitude?

Old 10-23-2004, 10:46 AM   #2
War Child

I think the more exposure they get the better. And as for being kiddies shows, TOTP and CD:UK have surprisingly high ratings and are seen as being very important for all artists.

And the history of TOTP has some of the biggest, most successful bands ever having played on it.

The more fans that hear the music and enjoy it the better.

Old 10-23-2004, 10:49 AM   #3
Refugee

Local Time: 08:32 AM
I wish they would have done more of it so we'd have more footage etc...

Also he may have come to the conclusion that totp was a great way to reach alot of people with the new music and sicne they have theough ATYCLB and HTDAAB are great records they wanna make sure everyone hears about them....or maybe they like preforming in the studios and stuff before the tour!!!

who knows, i'll just enjoy the preformances, lol!!!! No doubt the songs will be better on the tour though!
Old 10-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #4
The Fly

Local Time: 07:32 AM
I think the band realizes now that they are older, they have to be more visible. Earlier in their career, airplay was automatic to a certain extent (because they were U2). Now, it works against them because the industry is such that it's not accepting of bands bands in their 40s and been around since the 80s. So they have to work harder than ever at the promotion part. And means that they have to go on shows that have a younger slant -- that's regarded as the target audience for music. The bigger they are, the more control they have over their destiny.

Plus if it gets more people to find out what they've been missing, why not?
Old 10-23-2004, 11:02 AM   #5
War Child

Local Time: 06:32 AM
I think the fact that they have been around so long and can be seen as "cool" enough to go on these shows is a testament to there appeal and greatness. I wouldn't personally watch any of these shows, but a lot of people do and this is a way of getting the word out to people who may have never heard decent music before. Some of these kids only listen to crap music because it has been force fed to them their entire lives. This gives people a chance to hear real music when otherwise they might not have. These also breeds an entire new U2 generation that will only solidify there place as one of the all-time greats.

I believe the term for this is "F-ing up the mainstream"
Old 10-23-2004, 11:13 AM   #6
War Child

As a opposed to what?

The only other kind of show they can play on are the late shows. Think about it: when was the last time you saw an intellegent music program geered toward 18-35 yr olds between the hours of 4 and 10 pm in either the UK or the USA? If they want to play on TV during the day they have to do these shows, I don't know that there are any other choices...
Old 10-23-2004, 11:20 AM   #7
The Fly

Yes. I'd much rather they hide in a cave in the 6 months preceding the release of an album. Even after it comes out they should be extremely careful not to appear in any tv shows/magazines/radio shows that have the slightest chance of being seen by anyone under the age of 20 (because they're all morons anyway).

How dare U2 play on TOTP, invite the fans to see them for free, play a 30 minute set instead of just lip-synching the new single, and allow people to record it so we can hear two new songs before the album comes out? It's a disgrace, I tell you!
Old 10-23-2004, 11:29 AM   #8
Refugee

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Well ... Bono just said on cduk that they are not a "boy band", but a "men band".
Old 10-23-2004, 11:36 AM   #9
Babyface

Local Time: 07:32 AM
maybe it´s something about their kids who watch those kind of shows, or maybe just the old catholic guilt.
anyway, I hate it.
Old 10-23-2004, 11:50 AM   #10
War Child

When I read the title of this thread... I thought you meant something like this:
http://www.geocities.com/elmosjoint/zootele
Old 10-23-2004, 11:54 AM   #11
Refugee

Local Time: 03:32 PM
Well ... as long as I can hear U2 live, it doesn't matter to me where it is played!
Old 10-23-2004, 11:59 AM   #12
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 09:32 AM
I was thinking guest appearance on Sesame Street ala REM's "Furry Happy Monsters"
Old 10-23-2004, 12:33 PM   #13
Jim
Refugee

To me that's quite an elitist attitude.

Myabe it's time the 'kids' had a chance to hear some great, real and emotional music for a change! It's great that U2, REM, Manic Street Preachers, Coldplay, The Cure etc play shows like CD:UK and TOTP, same with newer bands like Franz Ferdinand. These poor kids have been exposed to enough shite music as it is!

Sadly there are no longer any alternative prime time music programmes (like The Tube for example), so I see no alternatives.
Old 10-23-2004, 12:47 PM   #14
Refugee

I dont see any problem eith U2 appearing on these shows as they have a lot of viewers, it also puts U2 in the public eye again. I think the boys are thinking that they need a new generation of fans.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:27 PM   #15
War Child

I'm still a bit confused by the point of the topic. U2 are hardly an up and coming band on the pub & club circuit that only a few people know about!
Old 10-23-2004, 01:52 PM   #16
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Um, what's wrong with kids liking U2? Nothing.

The more they play the better.
Old 10-23-2004, 01:58 PM   #17
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by ascender_RS
I'm still a bit confused by the point of the topic. U2 are hardly an up and coming band on the pub & club circuit that only a few people know about!
What do you mean "the point of this topic". Read my original post! So no one on here thinks that U2 have lost there coolness by appearing on these same shows that Busted and Robbie Williams etc appear on. Just seeing them on todays CDUK with all these teeny boppers in the crowd jumping up and down just reminds me of watching crap like Busted even though the song their playing is from a different planet than Busted's shit music. I would rather they didn't play crappy shows like CDUK cos they are only playing a backing music track with Bono singing live, so to the U2 fan like myself it is of no relevance, cos its basically a karaoke version of the song anyway.

I just think with the last album and promotion of that and these appearances so far they have lost some of their esteem. It's called selling out in a way, as with their ipod advert which they would never have done 10 years ago, no way in hell!
Old 10-23-2004, 02:07 PM   #18
Acrobat

Local Time: 09:32 AM
No one here in America even knows they were on these two shows to be honest, i'll bet money on it. People will forget about you if you aren't in the limelight, so they really don't have many alternatives other than appearing on whatever shows are around. I'm still waiting for a TRL appearance......
Old 10-23-2004, 02:40 PM   #19
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by rjhbonovox

What do you mean "the point of this topic". Read my original post! So no one on here thinks that U2 have lost there coolness by appearing on these same shows that Busted and Robbie Williams etc appear on. Just seeing them on todays CDUK with all these teeny boppers in the crowd jumping up and down just reminds me of watching crap like Busted even though the song their playing is from a different planet than Busted's shit music. I would rather they didn't play crappy shows like CDUK cos they are only playing a backing music track with Bono singing live, so to the U2 fan like myself it is of no relevance, cos its basically a karaoke version of the song anyway.

I just think with the last album and promotion of that and these appearances so far they have lost some of their esteem. It's called selling out in a way, as with their ipod advert which they would never have done 10 years ago, no way in hell!
Ok, between the i-tunes download, the i-tunes commerical, the TOTP performance, and the CD:UK performance I'm pretty sure you people don't want to see U2 anywhere but on tour.

You make some ok points, but I just can't get over the term selling out and the way folks toss it around. We can argue whether it's a GOOD BIZ move by the band, because believe me I'll puke the moment I see Dirty Day in a Tampax ad. But what really is the difference between this stuff and the 7 CD? And how does U2 being in a kick butt MUSIC commercial for THEIR SONG hurt them? And how does U2 playing to kids who need them more than you or I do hurt them? Certainly it's less than a 130.00 ticket. Certainly less than a superbowl halftime show. Not anymore than Vh-1 sponsoring the last TWO tours.

Don't forget, the difference between U2 and and your average britney is that I heard Brit trying to sell me her latest perfume yesterday on the radio. Why? because it doesn't matter to her handlers if she sells things that don't have anything to do with her product, which is music (sort of). U2 would never do that. They sell music. But they DO sell it. All bands that make a living at it SELL their music. The ad spends 90% of its time saying: Hey it's U2! Go buy their new tune!!! So every band who ever charged 5.00 at the door IS technically a "sellout". Them playing over a backing track sucks, but trust me, over the next two years you will hear them play this stuff live over a HUNDRED times. One or two backing track shows won't kill them or you.

I agree that it's your right to not like it. It's also my right to differ.

(to quote the jickanator

CHEERS!!!

-kramer
Old 10-23-2004, 02:49 PM   #20
Refugee

Quote:
Originally posted by tkramer

Ok, between the i-tunes download, the i-tunes commerical, the TOTP performance, and the CD:UK performance I'm pretty sure you people don't want to see U2 anywhere but on tour.

You make some ok points, but I just can't get over the term selling out and the way folks toss it around. We can argue whether it's a GOOD BIZ move by the band, because believe me I'll puke the moment I see Dirty Day in a Tampax ad. But what really is the difference between this stuff and the 7 CD? And how does U2 being in a kick butt MUSIC commercial for THEIR SONG hurt them? And how does U2 playing to kids who need them more than you or I do hurt them? Certainly it's less than a 130.00 ticket. Certainly less than a superbowl halftime show. Not anymore than Vh-1 sponsoring the last TWO tours.

Don't forget, the difference between U2 and and your average britney is that I heard Brit trying to sell me her latest perfume yesterday on the radio. Why? because it doesn't matter to her handlers if she sells things that don't have anything to do with her product, which is music (sort of). U2 would never do that. They sell music. But they DO sell it. All bands that make a living at it SELL their music. The ad spends 90% of its time saying: Hey it's U2! Go buy their new tune!!! So every band who ever charged 5.00 at the door IS technically a "sellout". Them playing over a backing track sucks, but trust me, over the next two years you will hear them play this stuff live over a HUNDRED times. One or two backing track shows won't kill them or you.

I agree that it's your right to not like it. It's also my right to differ.

(to quote the jickanator

CHEERS!!!

-kramer

Good answer. Can't argue with them points. Like the dirty day line, good joke.