What's the story behind "2 Shots of Happy..."?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kariatari

War Child
I've heard the song, and I love it! But is it considered a U2 song, or just a Bono project?

Two Shots of Happy, One Shot of Sad was a song that was unlike other songs Bono had written. He says of the song that he could hear the finished product before it was even written, and the voice he heard was Frank Sinatra's. Bono had been wanting to write a song for Frank to record for quite some time, but Frank never took him up on his offer. So Bono recorded the song that was meant for Frank Sinatra, and U2 released it on the single 'If God Will Send His Angels'. It was produced by Nellee Hooper, strings arrangement by Craig Armstrong, as well as superb vocals by Bono.

Chris

[This message has been edited by spanisheyes (edited 02-14-2002).]

At the very end of the song Bono says "Happy Birthday Frank"

------------------
"There's a lot of real rubbish going on about new music & old music, can I just say we play U2 music? Is that OK?" - Bono, Us Festival 5/30/83

I always thought the version on the IGWSHA single was a live performance. Edge and Bono, backed by a large orchestra, performed the song during a televised birthday party for Frank (i think it might have been his seventieth). Either way, I remember watching it, amazing song and at the end Bono says Happy Birthday Frank. So I assumed they must have just recorded that performance.

Back
Top Bottom