What's the nuttiest thing you've done for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
i'm sorry, it's against my religious principles to discuss U2 in this part of the forum.

missed Thanksgiving weekend and rode like 18 hrs away (each way) only to sleep out on the cement in 22 degree weather and was sick and feverish by the time I returned. BUT it was all for a good cause AND I got to meet Bono twice.

EDIT: and the ticket I needed to attend the aforementioned event cost me $100 when they were originally GIVEN away (but I was too far away to get one and had to buy it from a scalper)

Last edited:
Naming our second child Adam Clayton Scholefield qualifies as a pretty nutty move, but hey, wife loves it, I love it, we all love it! :heart: :heart: :heart:

I don't do very many "nutty" things for U2...though, when Bono was on Oprah, I pretended I was sick so that I could stay home from school in order to watch the show.

Actually, that's more sad than nutty. :lmao:

I actually left work without clocking out so I could drive around and listen to a call in interview with Bono on the radio. It was close to Mothers Day sometime in the 90's and Bono called an Atlanta radio station to wish Mike Mills' mom a happy mothers day. No one missed me. It was worth the risk of getting fired, I thought.

My brother and I jumped these 2 guys outside the Hartford Civic Center back in 01 and stole their U2 tickets. We took their cash too. Went into the show, floor seats, and bought beers with their cash.

U2dork said:
I actually left work without clocking out so I could drive around and listen to a call in interview with Bono on the radio. It was close to Mothers Day sometime in the 90's and Bono called an Atlanta radio station to wish Mike Mills' mom a happy mothers day. No one missed me. It was worth the risk of getting fired, I thought.

Lol, that's hysterical. Imagine standing in welfare saying..."But it was BONO!"

MrBrau1 said:
My brother and I jumped these 2 guys outside the Hartford Civic Center back in 01 and stole their U2 tickets. We took their cash too. Went into the show, floor seats, and bought beers with their cash.

I sincerely hope you are joking and were just f*ckin' with us on that one. :eyebrow:

I stuck around for hours a few days ago, listening to an "Indie" radio station that had "promised" to play the new single. How lame is that?

Well, by my standards, sitting in a GA line in Vegas for 10 hours pretty much is my "craziest" thing I've physically done.

But the hours I spend daily working on Interference is probably, in the long run, far crazier. ;)

Flew from my residence at the time in Owensboro KY to Green Bay WI, only to drive 2 hours south to Madison WI so I could sit waaaaaayyyy up in the nosebleed section of Camp Randall Stadium for and Outdoor Broadcast of Zoo TV with my best friend.
(thank goodness for all those giant TV screens!!)

OK, so it's not that nutty, but that's a damn lot of traveling just to see one show! :wink: I hope after this upcoming tour, though, I will have a better "nuttiest thing I ever did" story, 'cuz I plan on going ALL OUT for 2005. :up:

Every Christmas I put a huge U2 with christmas lights on my roof, so everyone can see(alot of people ask me what it stands for).
I hitchhiked to Salt Lake with 2 of my friends because we didnt have a car, or any money to get to a U2 show.
Everytime a U2 song comes on the radio and Im at work, I go turn it up and start singing, and everyone gets pssst at me at work.
I could go on, but theres tons of little things I do just to promote them, and to show there the best band ever.

macphisto23 said:
Every Christmas I put a huge U2 with christmas lights on my roof, so everyone can see(alot of people ask me what it stands for).
I hitchhiked to Salt Lake with 2 of my friends because we didnt have a car, or any money to get to a U2 show.
Everytime a U2 song comes on the radio and Im at work, I go turn it up and start singing, and everyone gets pssst at me at work.
I could go on, but theres tons of little things I do just to promote them, and to show there the best band ever.

Ding ding ding! I think we have a winner! :wink:

biff said:
I stuck around for hours a few days ago, listening to an "Indie" radio station that had "promised" to play the new single. How lame is that?

*laughs*

Forgot about that already...

Okay, the craziest thing I've done for U2 was NOT skipping classes to watch Bono on Oprah. It was listening to that farkin' radio station for eleven hours.

:slant:

I left in the middle of an all-day class to go stand in line for Elevation tour tickets and came back once we had them.

My craziest thing is in the future... "How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb" comes out on my baby girl's first birthday, and we're making a special trip to Best Buy that morning together (including my wife, also a big U2 fan). It doesn't seem odd at all to me, but everyone I've told about that plan looks at me like I'm insane.

What's the nuttiest thing you've done for U2?

Well, the nuttiest thing I ever did for U2 was something I did while inside a mental institution, and if I made public what it was, I'd be sent to a mental institution!

No joke.

}:)~

Last edited:
rivergoat said:

Well, the nuttiest thing I ever did for U2 was something I did while inside a mental institution, and if I made public what it was, I'd be sent to a mental institution!

No joke.

}:)~

Well now you HAVE to tell us...you can't say something like that and not tell!

GibsonGirl said:
I don't do very many "nutty" things for U2...though, when Bono was on Oprah, I pretended I was sick so that I could stay home from school in order to watch the show.

Actually, that's more sad than nutty. :lmao:

I did that in high school when they were giving away the video to Rattle and Hum and qualifying a person for a trip to Ireland. Stayed home for two days, didn't win.

one4u2 said:
**Discuss**

You've been my partner in crime for all my nuttiest things so why do I need to tell you.

Although driving to the city to go outside Bono's apartment for 3 hours not even knowing if he was home, then walking around for another 3 hours looking for the Spotted Pig not realizing there was Greenich Street and Ave to get there and realize it was truly, as you put it, the size of a thimble to driving home in a monsoon of a thunderstorm to finally eat dinner by 12:00am five minutes from where we started and going home to tell my husband a big lie so he didn't committ me to a mental institution probably would be up there.

MrBrau1 said:

Wait - that was you? Ya bastard!

But what I don't get was why. Those weren't U2 tickets - they were for Barry Manilow. We were scalping them as a joke. And the "money" you stole was just Monopoly fake money. Even worse, you dropped your wallet with your license, credit card and $75 in cash in it during your scuffle in trying to steal our "tickets".

Well, I hope you enjoyed Manilow. :wink:

I snuck into sound check :reject: I was with a friend my age, and we are as old as the band LOL! She found an open door and we went right in! We saw Dallas and the others fixing up the instruments! She wanted to stay and run out when the band came in to practice. I went out and she let me back in. Then she went out. My son and I and a a girl who had followed us got busted and they tried to take our tickets away! The kids froze and almost gave us away, but I lied and said I didn't have tickets yet. I told them it was not our fault if some employee left the door open. They let us go. Later on the way into the GA I was coming down the steps and saw the same guard, and I was petrified. I thought he'd recognize me and take my tickets! I put my head down, but as I ran past he yelled out 'hey!" I stopped and turned around. He smiled and said "you're lucky to be here you know" I smiled with relief and said thanks, and ran onto the floor. It was a wonderul night and I'd have hated to have missed it. I will never do that again! Funny thing is, I wouldn't have done that when I was young, I'd have been too chicken. What a crazy old bitch I've become, and crazy for U2! (I've been a fan since 1981)

MrBrau1 said:

I think this might be the funniest winner, if not the most violent. I think the coolest is Roland's with naming his song Adam Clayton Scholefield. The straight pimp. Anyway, I havent really done anything crazy for the band, Bono comes to DC a lot and a friend of mine who works at the Sheraton said Bono was staying there the last couple nights and both nights he came down to the bar to drink with friends. My friend said he was really accessible to fans coming up to him and he had no security. So I went up there with a friend to the bar late afternoon and stayed there all night trying to see the man, but he never showed up. It wasn't all bad, you can imagaine that after hours of drinking I didnt care as much :drunk:

I think Ill have something better after the next tour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom