What's the nuttiest thing you've done for U2?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
starsgoblue said:

Well now you HAVE to tell us...you can't say something like that and not tell!

Sorry. I guess I'll have to toss the keyboard out into the woods along with my car keys next time I set about getting plastered.

It was 20 years ago anyways...

goat

I took the day off work so I could listen to the U2004 marathon on WBWC. Actually the taking the day off isn't so nutty because I was supposed to take a day off that week to make up for working on the weekend and I might as well have taken that day off as any other, but the nutty part is I listened to the entire 18 hours! It was worth it though. The DJs were great and I heard some stuff I didn't even know existed.

And I also spent my entire Labor Day evening listening to that indie station in California vainly hoping to hear Vertigo. :(

when i was 14 i sold my bike and my rollerblades to get enough money to get tickets to see Popmart in joburg, south africa (i lived in cape town, miles away) after all that they came to Cape Town anyway and it was totally worth it (i got to meet bono) but i had no means of juvenile transport for ages after that.

other things include climbing into a window at their hotel in cape town (and not getting caught) and maxing my credit card on U2 stuff on ebay!

the most insane thing i've seen was when i was in dublin a while ago while and they were recording their album at windmill, and i went along to check it out for curiosity sake. there were some fans out there who i thought were just weird though - they took my arrival as some sort of threat to their chamces and refused to talk to me. and then when i did get one or two of them chatting i discovered that they'd been outside the studio every day for about 3 weeks! i figured it was because they maybe hadn't got the chance to see or talk to them yet but no, they've seen them loads and quite a few times the band had stopped to talk to them. one even sent larry flowers at the studio and them had a go at him for not thanking her!

what i found weird was that if you've seen them once and had a conversation, why come back day after day after day after day. i kinda felt sorry for the band - larry's words at midnight one night were apparently "why are you people still here, dont you have a home".

it put me off staying about and maybe seeing the band myself - i think its a bit odd and maybe too obsessive
does anyone else

Welll...

I'd been a fan since 81 and never saw the Band in Bsoton..or ever had a desire to meet them. The music was enough..strnge but true. Until I read Bono's blurb for the new Bible translation Eugene Peterson's The Message in 2001. I had read, many years before, a life-changing book I;d found in the college library, "David the King" by Gladys Schmidt (1936). It's out of print--I'd been trying to find a copy everywhere. I was in tears when I finsihed this book--it is Tolkine-esque in its poetic beuty, and the uahtor was obviously a woman of deep faith. But her David was also a troubled man who railed at God. Do whatever you can to get this book--it'll change your life.

I thought htat Bono wouild love to read this, being such a fan of David and all--even identifying personally with him (!). So I did the unthinkable...I "bought " the book from the library. That is, I reported it missing, when it wasn't, and paid the fee for the book to the library. Um.....when it was 4 months overdue...>g>.

My frinds were clued in on the whole Boston/Four Seasons/wehere and when to meet the guys thing, so I tagged along (THANK YOU PROPAGANDA!!!!) Sadly, Id idn't meet Bono, but I did give the book to Scott, his security guard, the nicest guy in the world. Relaized my real dream though of meeting Edge. I swore I wouldn't go all star-struck, but got all shy...

Before that, though, I alos met Adam, and having him holding and reading my be,oved book of many years (with him being the sinner of the band:) was strange. My rehearsed spiel for the book died on my lips...

shart1780 said:
It's a band people!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to speak for anyone on this board and I think you were kidding (?) but I know my sentiments are shared by a few people (especially with some of these posts). U2 is not just a band. Being a U2 fan is almost a lifestyle (wow, that's more than kinda cliche' but I can't explain it any other way). I've been a hard core fan longer than I haven't. I grew up with U2. I went from being a small child not knowing half of what the songs meant to an adult who can't stand triviality in music. When I go to a U2 show, I know that I can have a good conversation and feel at home with just about everyone there. When a friend and I went on our cross country trip during the Elevation tour, we met so many people just because I was wearing one of the tour pins. How many bands can you think of that can spark good conversation between complete strangers?

I agree with U2Dork, and here's a large part why....here's an excerpt of my post from a thread about U2 and 9/11---->

"Just thinking about what Bono said at the concert I was at again. I realized that U2 really helped bring alot of healing and comfort to alot of people who were shaken and brokenhearted. I saw that concert a month after 9/11 and he let us feel like we were all together as a big family and he channelled our pain through his music and words. He also let us now it was all right to smile and be joyful for the life we have. I don't think he realized at the time how much he meant, because I don't think I really realized it until just now. U2 isn't just a band...they are woven into the pulse of the culture of the world and most preciously to me, my heart. Alot of of us did go into the heart that tour in more ways than one, and I think we all came out of it changed for the better. "

U2 are never going to be 'just some band I listen to'. There is a heritage in being a U2 fan, and I'm clinging to it with both hands.

di_g said:
when i was 14 i sold my bike and my rollerblades to get enough money to get tickets to see Popmart in joburg, south africa (i lived in cape town, miles away) after all that they came to Cape Town anyway and it was totally worth it (i got to meet bono) but i had no means of juvenile transport for ages after that.

other things include climbing into a window at their hotel in cape town (and not getting caught) and maxing my credit card on U2 stuff on ebay!

the most insane thing i've seen was when i was in dublin a while ago while and they were recording their album at windmill, and i went along to check it out for curiosity sake. there were some fans out there who i thought were just weird though - they took my arrival as some sort of threat to their chamces and refused to talk to me. and then when i did get one or two of them chatting i discovered that they'd been outside the studio every day for about 3 weeks! i figured it was because they maybe hadn't got the chance to see or talk to them yet but no, they've seen them loads and quite a few times the band had stopped to talk to them. one even sent larry flowers at the studio and them had a go at him for not thanking her!

what i found weird was that if you've seen them once and had a conversation, why come back day after day after day after day. i kinda felt sorry for the band - larry's words at midnight one night were apparently "why are you people still here, dont you have a home".

it put me off staying about and maybe seeing the band myself - i think its a bit odd and maybe too obsessive
does anyone else

I agree with you fully we have also been on the receiving end of that sort of treatment at Hanover Quay!! I had never experienced anything like that before and to be honest it made me ashamed to think that other fans could behave like this.
When we were there an American fan (who had met Bono on various occasions inc being pulled up on stage 4 times!!lucky sod!!) called Bono a f*****g b*****d for not stopping at 11.00pm!!!

But some of these people dont realise that they wont stop when the band see the same people all the time, which is sad for the others who are only on short trips!

We stayed one night until about 11.30 but I dont think I would ever do it again, as I wouldnt want any of the band to know my name because I stalked them night and day!!!

The 2 daftest things I've done is to pay £230 for 2 standing tickets for Manchester(which when we got them were for nosebleed seats!! we got them changed but thats another story!!) and going to Dublin for the day for the opening of the Peter & The Wolf exhibition as we thought Bono would be there he wasnt but all our husbands thought we had gone to London on train!!!

That took some explaining!!!!:lol:

Last edited:
I would also like to say that type of behaviour di_g and Bono's Tart described is just wrong. I think these people are really lacking something in their lives and they're trying to make up for it in an inappropriate way with the wrong people. It isn't enough for these people to settle with one meeting, something most fans will never have.

one4u2 said:
What's the nuttiest thing you've done for U2?

Well.

I became a crack dealer... a blue crack dealer.

Prior to the blue crack I was just serving up Martinis.

And before that I 'burgled' U2 as some French reporter stated.

My book "I've Got U2 Under My Skin" will be out soon.

P.S. I'm kidding about the book.

di_g said:

does anyone else

I can fully relate to this, despite living in different countries and being much older.

While I've been a fan for some time, it wasn't until the 90's that I began collecting. This allowed me to get some good stuff for cheap - but I also think I paid too much for others. As I was a student then, I often found myself spending what little money I had on U2 items - but I still have them, so I'm glad I did. :)

I met Edge once outside a hotel. Some friends said I was "stalking". I didn't feel that way at the time, but it is true - it's stalking. Edge was kind enough to meet us though.

I had a chance years later to meet the band again outside their hotel, but I recalled that feeling of stalking. It was getting late and I had better things to do - so I left. Others I know said I should have waited as I could have met Bono and such. While I would love that opportunity, that feeling of "stalking" the band never left me. Furthermore, I have my meeting with Edge, so I'm happy. I fully agree - why stalk the band day after day after day? I think these people want more than to just meet U2 - they want to be in U2's "inner circle", like they were friends. Trouble is, friends don't stalk other friends - nor do they hang outside their homes or place of business day after day. This is obsessive and these so-called fans are just lucky U2 don't call the cops on them (probably would happen here in the U.S.).

I'm glad at your young age you've learned the difference between being a respectful fan and some obsessive freak. :yes:

Bono's Tart said:

I agree with you fully we have also been on the receiving end of that sort of treatment at Hanover Quay!! I had never experienced anything like that before and to be honest it made me ashamed to think that other fans could behave like this.
When we were there an American fan (who had met Bono on various occasions inc being pulled up on stage 4 times!!lucky sod!!) called Bono a f*****g b*****d for not stopping at 11.00pm!!!

But some of these people dont realise that they wont stop when the band see the same people all the time, which is sad for the others who are only on short trips!

We stayed one night until about 11.30 but I dont think I would ever do it again, as I wouldnt want any of the band to know my name because I stalked them night and day!!!

this might sound far fetched, but i would not be surprised if that was one of the people i had. there was some american girls there who were also bitching because bono/adam/larry hadnt stopped and were using language along the same lines and this girl had been pulled up on stage before.

what also amazed me was the "intimate knowledge" these guys think they have of the band quotes like"it must be a bad day, Adam didnt smile at me, he always smiles at me" to which the response was "well he smiled at ME" from someone and then another person goes "well larry always smiles at me and never at you, he obviously doesnt like you"! (um, maybe he's indifferent to all of you perhaps!)

Amazing to listen to really! and they try throw each other off also - "we're going now, they're all in a bad mood so obviously won't talk to us at the end. you're wasting your time, you should leave too" to which another girl whispers in my way "don't let her fool you, they'll try get us to leave to adn then come back alone..."

well i didnt hang around anyway for the same reason as you bonotart - i wouldnt want to meet them thinking i was one of the "stranger" fans that stalked them day and night i just wouldnt want to be associated with that.

which was a bit sad really because despite one fan saying they were in a bad mood and wouldnt want to talk to anyone, that was the night that they went through dublin temple bar in a horse drawn carriage! shows how much those guys knew!

and besides, i have met them once and it was by sure luck and chance which is the best part - i think sitting outside their front door till they open it takes a bit of the excitement out of the story.

i do think its sad that there are fans like that out there, i like to think that if i bumped into any of you guys somewhere we'd all grab a seat and share our U2 experiences, not try hide and shield them behind rudeness and fear like the guys i met.

u2ulysses said:

I'm glad at your young age you've learned the difference between being a respectful fan and some obsessive freak. :yes:

so true, thank you. this only happened few months ago, and it really called into question how far i would take my "obsession" of U2.
before that night i had had plans to go see bonos house (mainly for the gates which apparently are amazing) but after that i stopped and thought to myself thats the mans house, thats where his wife adn his children live. what right do i have to go stand outside it?
i would still like to see it and go though, and i'm sure a lot of people have and thats ok (i dont want to offend anyone here!) but as i say, these guys kinda put me off and drew a very firm line slightly further back than maybe it needs to be, on what i will and wont do to see them.

if i ever get like that, i know its too far!

di_g said:

oops. having had a rant about the stalker people i feel i need to clarify this!:huh:

when i climbed into the window at their hotel, the band were NOT there at the time. a friend of mine was part of their security and when they had gone out for the day, he snuck me in to have a look at the hotel as its one of the fanciest and nicest in the city. there was no way in and iceskaters chance in a frozen over hell i would have been able to get through the front door and i really wanted to see while i could hence the window!

so just to point out i did not DID NOT get in so that i could run around looking for the band or go knocking on bonos door or anything like that!

glad thats cleared up:)

u2ulysses said:

Wait - that was you? Ya bastard!

But what I don't get was why. Those weren't U2 tickets - they were for Barry Manilow. We were scalping them as a joke. And the "money" you stole was just Monopoly fake money. Even worse, you dropped your wallet with your license, credit card and $75 in cash in it during your scuffle in trying to steal our "tickets".

Well, I hope you enjoyed Manilow. :wink:

He writes the songs, he writes the songs. I cried.

Kariann - thanks for being so honest! :wink:

When I went to the R&R HOF last year, I was in U2 HEAVEN at being in the presence of all the AWESOME U2 memorabilia.:yes:

"BAD" is my alltime favorite U2 song/psalm as it is Bono's manifesto of finding the Light and not allowing the darkness to overtake him, so seeing these handwritten lyrics of the B-man's for "BAD" was a breath-taking moment for me.

I had the momentary inclination to kneel or kiss the glass or make the sign of the cross or something when I saw those lyrics too - but you actually did it. :up:

Thanks for being so honest.

IT'S A BEAUTIFUL DAY! DON'T LET IT GET AWAY! :bono: :heart: :heart: ;)

di_g said:

this might sound far fetched, but i would not be surprised if that was one of the people i had. there was some american girls there who were also bitching because bono/adam/larry hadnt stopped and were using language along the same lines and this girl had been pulled up on stage before.

what also amazed me was the "intimate knowledge" these guys think they have of the band quotes like"it must be a bad day, Adam didnt smile at me, he always smiles at me" to which the response was "well he smiled at ME" from someone and then another person goes "well larry always smiles at me and never at you, he obviously doesnt like you"! (um, maybe he's indifferent to all of you perhaps!)

Amazing to listen to really! and they try throw each other off also - "we're going now, they're all in a bad mood so obviously won't talk to us at the end. you're wasting your time, you should leave too" to which another girl whispers in my way "don't let her fool you, they'll try get us to leave to adn then come back alone..."

well i didnt hang around anyway for the same reason as you bonotart - i wouldnt want to meet them thinking i was one of the "stranger" fans that stalked them day and night i just wouldnt want to be associated with that.

which was a bit sad really because despite one fan saying they were in a bad mood and wouldnt want to talk to anyone, that was the night that they went through dublin temple bar in a horse drawn carriage! shows how much those guys knew!

and besides, i have met them once and it was by sure luck and chance which is the best part - i think sitting outside their front door till they open it takes a bit of the excitement out of the story.

i do think its sad that there are fans like that out there, i like to think that if i bumped into any of you guys somewhere we'd all grab a seat and share our U2 experiences, not try hide and shield them behind rudeness and fear like the guys i met.

Bloody hell!! When were you there it wasnt May 25/26/27 was it??

We missed Bono on the Monday by about 30 seconds we walked around the corner just after he walked in!! But we met Adam and then Bono and Edge on the Wednesday afternoon.

There are "fans" who are living over in Dublin who are sat outside the studios every single day and I find that disturbing.

All the time we were there some of the females just kept saying are you going now, Bono wont come out to you!!
Its funny now but at the time I was livid!! And I am embarrassed to say that I did sadly have an argument with one person something that I am not proud of but the whole situation just got on my nerves.

If you were there at the same time as us we wouldnt have ignored you if we did then I apologise. I dont remember anymore English there at that time only Matt from Birmingham on the Wednesday.

Bono's Tart said:

Bloody hell!! When were you there it wasnt May 25/26/27 was it??.

ok that was totally the time i was there! thats so weird!
but as i say i was only there for maybe 20 minutes or so if even that and it was on the friday afternoon, what was that the 28th actually so we must have just missed you. and it was probably the same fans too considering they had been there every day for 3 weeks. i didnt meet matt from birmingham though, but i'm sure he was nicer than the others. And besides i got my semi-fix of them - Bono, Larry and Adam all drove past me when i was walking up there and that was way more than i expected to see, i really just wanted to see the studios which at the end of the day were a big grey wall!

to be honest when i saw the news that that night they had decided to go down dame street in a horse drawn carriage i was a bit disappointed i didnt stick around to see them come out of the studio and "board" their carriage! but had a wicked night anyway - ended up going out drinking with one of the actors from the tv show Scrubs - sure he's not U2 but he was brilliant and it was a night to remember anyway!

I ran myself deeply in debt buying tickets from online brokers and traveling and staying in hotels during the Elevation tour. :tsk: I literally spent money I did not have and was not able to pay back. I am still debating whether the fun I had can cancel out the pain, stress, worry and hardship I've had over my credit cards.

Last edited:
starsgoblue said:
I agree with U2Dork, and here's a large part why....here's an excerpt of my post from a thread about U2 and 9/11---->

"Just thinking about what Bono said at the concert I was at again. I realized that U2 really helped bring alot of healing and comfort to alot of people who were shaken and brokenhearted. I saw that concert a month after 9/11 and he let us feel like we were all together as a big family and he channelled our pain through his music and words. He also let us now it was all right to smile and be joyful for the life we have. I don't think he realized at the time how much he meant, because I don't think I really realized it until just now. U2 isn't just a band...they are woven into the pulse of the culture of the world and most preciously to me, my heart. Alot of of us did go into the heart that tour in more ways than one, and I think we all came out of it changed for the better. "

U2 are never going to be 'just some band I listen to'. There is a heritage in being a U2 fan, and I'm clinging to it with both hands.

Wow, what an amazing piece, I totally agree! Especially with the last part about there being a heritage in being a fan. I've been waiting a long time for somebody to say it that well.

Cheers to all the people who consider, and have always considered U2 a genuine part of their lives!

Back
Top Bottom