What's the most overrated new song?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImOuttaControl

Refugee
I can't sleep, so I thought I'd start a topic, hopefully it hasn't already been covered too much....Now that the album is out and we have a few b-sides; what is the most overrated new song and why? This doesn't have to mean the song is bad, it just means that it's not quite living up to the hype.

For me it would have to easily be "Mercy." I do like this song but I don't see this as some sort of second coming or anything like that. Don't get me wrong, it *could* be a great song if it were worked on a bit more. To me, it sounds uninspired in places and most importantly is missing a huge climax. If it had that, it would be up there with "Bad" IMO. Without it, it makes a good b-side at best. Good job Larry for giving coming up with the idea to give this song the axe, because "Mercy" wasn't finished to the point where it would give justice to itself being on HTDAAB.

"Miracle Drug." Don't get me wrong, I like it. But I think every song on the album, except "A Man and a Woman," is better.

:reject:

Miracle Drug for me as well. I think I over-hyped this song when I heard the beach clip of it. That hypnotic slide guitar solo was so full of promise. Don't get me wrong - the guitar slide solo is still my favorite part of the song, but I thought the song sounds very unfinished.

Still, I do love this song. The meaning and construction is unique and powerful.

None are over-rated. For me it's still too early to make a decision like that. Any U2 album that eventually became my "favorite" U2 album took a LONG time to get that way. This album is definitly growing on me more and more. I'll admit to skipping "One Step Closer" a few times, just because "Original..." is so freakin awesome.

ADecentMelody said:
Miracle Drug for me as well.
The meaning and construction is unique and powerful.

Exactly!!!!! Listen to the construction of that song. It's different from , dare- I- say, a typical U2 building climax. There's 5 different levels and each one is grander. Think of the live performance...when they're well-practiced and kicking ass.

Last edited:
Fast cars.
It was done on the very last day of recording in the studio, it's just a fun song - IMO overhyped. For example both Are you gonna wait forever and Mercy are better, and they will only be B-sides.

Original Of The Species.

I love the song, but a lot of people are hyping it as the best song on the album and I don't think so. It doesn't beat such class acts as COBL or Crumbs.

Over rated - All Because of You

I hope that this is not the next single. If it is, U2 management is braindead. Crap average song that shouldve been a bside. Fast Cars deserved to be on the album proper rather than this song.

Under rated - Yahweh/Miracle Drug

Miracle Drug is u2's best song since Gloria.

SYCMIOYO

Like Ive said in the Survivor posts, its okay, but I for sure dont see it as the next "One" or anything like that.

Sometimes You Can´t Make It On Your Own :mad:

One of the most boring and weak U2 songs ever :censored:

Overrated:

Original of the species - too radio-friendly, non-inspired lyrics (short verses, big chorus) and why the hell sounding like the beatles is a good thing?

cobl - too artificial, sounds like a band without creativity wanting to sound like u2

underrated:
A man and a woman
Yaweh

It's gotta be COBL. I like it, but when Top of the Pops happened everyone proclaimed it to be the next Streets! It's good but not that good.

Though, my 4 and 6 yr old nieces walk around their house chanting the chorus. "Oh...You...Look...So...Beautiful....Tonight!" Funniest thing ever!

all the b-sides and unreleased material... not a single one of them deserves to be on the album in their current states, because frankly... they're all unfinished. yet somehow people still tend to think they should replace songs on the album. like native son... vertigo is a friggin top 40 hit, yet people think the unfinished native son is better. i don't get it.

Overrated:

Original of the species - too radio-friendly, non-inspired lyrics (short verses, big chorus) and why the hell sounding like the beatles is a good thing?

cobl - too artificial, sounds like a band without creativity wanting to sound like u2

underrated:
A man and a woman
Yaweh

*** I agree with Bedouin Fire

intedomine said:
Over rated - All Because of You

Totally agree with this. Although some people might find a connection with the lyrics and the meaning, as a complete song I think this may the worst on the album. The chorus especially is extraordinarily weak IMO, and it sounds like something that you'd hear on an outtake from the recording sessions rather than a cut from the finished album.

Mercy!!!
It really is a good song and one of the best U2 b-sides ever, but I really can't get the praising this song gets.

COBL. I can't fathom why people are claiming this is a new "classic" and comparing it to The Unforgettable Fire. The latter is beautiful, haunting and and kind of mysterious, while COBL sounds like U2 wrote it only so they could have a nice, simple, catchy, sing-a-long chorus on tour.

MD and COBL. It's U2-lite, paint-by-the-numbers for people who don't like complexity in their music, I have to conclude.

City of blinding lights is overrated!!!!!! It sound a bit like the Unforgettable fire but has 10% of its power.....

All because of you too..... overrated!

Yahweh is the best song in years and will probably the most underrating song ever since it won't be a single and might not even be played live....... like Acrobat, their best song ever.

Mercy will never be overrated. Its not even an A-side. If anything, it will always be underrated because it failed to make it as an A-side. The fact of the matter is that the world has yet to meet Mercy. Itunes hasn't even met Mercy.

I would of said Crumbs a month ago, but it has finally "got" me.

The only one I can truly say is overrated is AMAAW. It tries to be bigger than Wild Honey, but it actually IS a "Wild Honey."

Back
Top Bottom