What's the meaning behind love is blindness ? - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 10-03-2004, 06:03 PM   #21
War Child

Local Time: 10:17 AM
I thought it was about Edge's marriage and break up. I read that somewhere around the time the record came out.

Old 10-03-2004, 06:08 PM   #22
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 09:17 AM
The terrorism idea really fits. Prior posts already reference they lyric. Also, the idea, someone is doing something for "love of country" and is blind to the reality of what they've done, a fanatic.

Old 10-04-2004, 01:09 AM   #23
The Fly

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MrBrau1
The terrorism idea really fits. Prior posts already reference they lyric. Also, the idea, someone is doing something for "love of country" and is blind to the reality of what they've done, a fanatic.
A terrorist wouldn't say "Baby, a dangerous idea that almost makes sense". That "baby" means a loved one.
Old 10-04-2004, 01:15 AM   #24
Blue Crack Addict

The way I look at most songs...and especially ones written by Bono...is that there are usually many many layers in a song. It all depends on how deep one wants to dig into it. There can be an explicit meaning in a song, for example if Bono specifically says what he was thinking when writing it. But there also is implicit references which one can draw from as well. I don't think any song can be take at point blank value...that'd be too boring.
Old 10-04-2004, 02:56 AM   #25
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 02:17 PM
Live version of Love is Blindness is one of the best songs I've ever heards. Just listen to the Birmingham, June 1st 1992 version. Best Edge solo. And I do think it's more about terrorists than about love in general. The mood of the song is a bit too dark for the latter.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:05 AM   #26
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by flameandthefire
Where is the anger in this song?
Where is the anger in Please? Where is the anger in Peace On Earth? A song about terrorism and death doesn't have to be angry. I think in the nineties, Bono's response to terrorism and violence took on a totally different level than it did in the eighties. There were no angry political songs like Sunday Bloody Sunday or Bullet The Blue Sky in the nineties, but U2 were still an intensely political band.

Quote:
Why does the song start with funeral organ and ends to a funeral organ? Because in the beginning of the song someone has lost his/her life and there's a funeral and at the end of the song there is another funeral.
Fits perfectly with terrorism, doesn't it? Loss of life and funerals are part and parcel of terrorist attacks.

The song is most certainly referring to terrorism, although like any U2 song, it is open to multiple interpretations. I personally don't accept anything other than the terrorism meaning because I feel to say it's about a lost relationship simply weakens and waters down the song. In my mind, I would be disrespecting U2's work and the victims of the terrorist attacks.

I think the verse that seals the deal is "In a parked car, in a crowded street/You see your love made complete." There's no way that could be about anything other than a car bombing.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 10-04-2004, 03:21 AM   #27
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 12:17 AM
For the life of me I cannot see this is a song about terrorism, more to the point I cannot feel that it is about terrorism.

I see it as a tragic love song, one of the darkest ones about love lost.

Clockworks and cold steel evoke just an image of - a clockwork heart, predetermined.

Fingers to numb to feel - its all about feeling.

See your love made complete - living your life and being reminded of the one you loved, seeing them for an instant in someone else, in the street or in a car at a distance then vanishing.

Its dark either way.

I carry too much of my own emotional baggage onto this particular song and it is one of my favorites. I just cannot see the terrorism link, whenever one attempts to peel into these things some tenuous links can be made - its like an onion, so many layers.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:28 AM   #28
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 04:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver

I think the verse that seals the deal is "In a parked car, in a crowded street/You see your love made complete." There's no way that could be about anything other than a car bombing.
With terorrism theory aside, I think the song also fits with the whole love/betrayal between lovers theme of the album.It ends ambigiously - who is meant in the "take the money, honey" line, who has the character chosen? The sun (wife, stability, safety) or the moon (lover, instability, excitement)?

The particular line could mean someone in the relationship is cheating with several people - and while they think it's love it's more about lust.
Old 10-04-2004, 03:28 AM   #29
The Fly

Local Time: 06:17 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Where is the anger in Please? Where is the anger in Peace On Earth?
Yeah, you're right. The song could very well be about terrorism.

It would be very nice to find out what the song is really all about. Isn't there any Bono quotes about this song?
Old 10-04-2004, 06:46 AM   #30
War Child

Local Time: 03:17 PM
Watch the video on the end of the "Achtung Baby - Interference" Video release (which is a collection of all the achtung baby videos plus lots of soundbites and snippets of interviews and live shows around the time). All the images that accompany "Love is Blindness" are of poverty and human suffering in Africa, Bosnia etc... It was seeing this video that first made me see the more universal implications of the song - it attempts to realize the motivation and understand (though in no way condone) the actions of those who take up arms against what they would see as oppression (whether occupation by foreign forces, poverty, injustice or whatever...). And of course Northern Ireland fits with these concepts...
However, like most of the songs on Achtung Baby the lyric can be interpreted in a number of ways, from the universal to the personal. Thats why it's such a great album, Bono is such a great lyricist and U2 are such a great band!
Old 10-04-2004, 08:17 AM   #31
War Child

VertigoGal and ThatGuy, you're blowing me away again!
I wish I had more time to roll your posts over right this very second, but I gotta go get the girl and bring her to her gymnastics class. I wish I had a laptop so I could read this all while she's in there with her little mates, because I don't feel comfortable watching her somehow it's so her own trip...

cheerio!
Old 10-04-2004, 10:14 AM   #32
War Child

The great thing about many U2 songs is the availability of 2 (or more) credible interpretations! How about a compilation album of U2 songs written specifically about the experience of “The Troubles” in Ireland?

U2 & IRELAND: “THE TROUBLES” ALBUM

1. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live version from Rattle And Hum DVD)
2. Van Diemen’s Land (Rattle And Hum album)
3. Love Is Blindness (Live version from the Stay single)
4. North And South Of The River (Live version from Omagh Tribute for 1998 bombing victims)
5. Please (Live from PopHeart single or Hasta La Vista Baby CD?)
6. Peace On Earth (ATYCLB album)
7. Sunday Bloody Sunday (Live acoustic version by The Edge on If God Will Send His Angels single)

BONUS TRACKS (hidden tracks after 10 seconds of silence)
7. Don't Let Me Down / Give Peace a Chance (Bono and Edge) or One / Give Peace a Chance (U2) or Stand By Me (U2 with Ash's lead singer) or all 3 songs? (Live version from the 1998 Yes Concert [vote for peace in Northern Ireland])
8. Peace On Earth / Walk On (Live from Tribute To Heroes CD – 9/11 Terrorist Attack) I thought I’d add this one in that it ties in this particular Irish suffering to a similar suffering experienced not only in America but was experienced by the whole world in a sense.

In The Name Of The Father (co-written & co-performed by Bono)?
Old 10-04-2004, 10:23 AM   #33
Refugee

Local Time: 11:17 PM
From Niall Stokes' Into the Heart: the Stories Behind Every U2 Song

Quote:
It takes us back - again - to the shadowy world of deceit, infidelity, and betrayal. It depicts love at the end, the very end, of its tether. It is as bleak and as despairing a view of the world as you're likely to get, reflecting the emotional climate in which the entire album had been made. "All one's relationships, with your family, with your friends, with the members of a band - everything started to disintegrate with that record," Adam Clayton told John Waters. In terms of its mood, Love Is Blindness had the dark, sensual and decadent feel of pre-war Berlin. But its sentiments made it the perfect conclusion to Achtung Baby. "Love is blindness/I don't want to see," Bono sang - a desolate acknowledgement of the terrible reality that it is sometimes not better to know. The Edge plays a mournful, ejaculatory guitar solo, stabbing out thick emotional blues notes that linger and then fall away like tears. "A more eloquent prayer than anything I could say," Bono reflects. And then darkness falls.
Personally, I think it's about many things, in usual style with U2's works and Bono's inablity to nail down a single thought into one song.

If I had to put it into one meaning, though, I would lean towards the idea that it is about a relationship falling apart. That's what the entire album is about, and considering the state of Edge's marriage at the time, it's the theory that makes the most sense. Basic literary rules state that context is the best platform to interpret meaning. And the context of AB is pain, heartache, and a relationship's end.

BTW, great album to listen to when you're breaking up with someone!
Old 10-04-2004, 11:26 AM   #34
War Child

There's something really nasty about describing a guitar solo as 'ejaculatory' somehow...don't know why but it makes the rest of that piece feel really cheap to me.

cheers anyway...
Old 10-04-2004, 12:24 PM   #35
Refugee

Local Time: 11:17 PM
Yeah, Niall says some strange things at times. He's rather, um, blunt, but he puts out good stuff!
Old 10-04-2004, 01:52 PM   #36
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

For some reason I always thought the whole thing about the parked car and seeing love made complete was about cheating. You know, like having sex in the car and cheating on your spouse in doing so. The next line about the knot slipping is what makes me think that. I never though of it as being about a car bomb, but that sounds like it fits, too.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:42 PM   #37
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Rachel D.
For some reason I always thought the whole thing about the parked car and seeing love made complete was about cheating. You know, like having sex in the car and cheating on your spouse in doing so. The next line about the knot slipping is what makes me think that. I never though of it as being about a car bomb, but that sounds like it fits, too.
Yeah, and it feels to me as though it really *could* be about both at once...with a "Love is.." frame, you could much more consciously add a little sex and a little death. very berlin torchsong. sadistic shit. and so very fly.
but what's sooo bloody amazing to me about U2 is that they can take a sadistic vibe and mix it with a benificence vibe.
it truly scares me. I don't think they're the only band to try this, but they succeed brilliantly.
Old 10-04-2004, 08:53 PM   #38
Refugee

From "Into The Heart"

It was Gavin Friday who interested Bono in Jascues Brel. Gavin had run the Blue Jaysus club in Dublin's Waterfront cafe and for a few glorious months, it became one of the city's most celebrated nights-out with Agnes Bernelle, Gavin Friday, maria McKee and Bono, among many musicians and comedians, likely to show up with something new to perform, in the spirit of Cabaret.
'Love is Blindness' had been written during the Rattle and Hum period. It was Blue Jaysus material, a song that could have been performed with the accompaninment of a lone piano. In Bono's head, it might have been sung by Nina Simone, one of his all-time favorite singers.

It takes us back - again - to the shadowy world of deciet, infidelity and betrayal. it depicts love at the end, the very end, of its tether. It is as bleak and as despairing a view of the world as you're likely to get, reflecting the emotional climate in which the entire album had been made.
"All one's relationships, with your family, with your friends, with the members of the band - everything started to disintegrate with that record," Adam Clayton told John Waters. In terms of its mood, "Love is Blindness" had the dark, sensual and decadent feel of pre-war Berlin. But its sentiments made it the perfect conclusion to Achtung Baby. "Love is blindness/I don't want to see," Bono sang - a desolate acknowledgement of the terrible reality that it is sometimes better not to know. The Edge plays a mournful, ejaculatory guitar solo, stabbing out thick emotional blues notes that linger and then fall away like tears. "A more eloquent prayer than anything I could say," Bono reflects.
And then darkness falls.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Not that this may or may not answer your question, but it might help.