What's the deal with "I will Follow"???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

boosterjuice

Refugee
What's with U2 playing "I will Follow" so much??

They played it for SNL
They Played for Brooklyn Bridge
They played for the Jonathan Ross show.
They probably played another place that I'm forgetting.

Why IWF?? Why don't they do another song? I'm guessing that this song will be heavily played on the tour. Don't get me wrong, I love the song, I just don't know why they don't do others instead.

i'm guessing that there's a connection between bono's quote that 'vertigo' is the first single from their first album and 'i will follow' popping up all over the promo performances--giving props to their roots while promoting the heck out of the new tunes.

:up:

First song on their first album, so it's definitely a tie-back to their roots. And OOC is their first single, so they've played that a bunch, also. And the fact that they still do a great job with both.

I think it's connected to "Sometimes you can't...", which, obvioulsy, is about his father. "I Will Follow" is about Bono's mom and her death...With both gone, this kind of connects the dots...He's singing to both his mom and dad now. And paying homage...

bw in dc said:
I think it's connected to "Sometimes you can't...", which, obvioulsy, is about his father. "I Will Follow" is about Bono's mom and her death...With both gone, this kind of connects the dots...He's singing to both his mom and dad now. And paying homage...
:up:

bw in dc said:

By performing a lap dance? :huh:

IMHO, i think the reason for IWF being played at every promo gig is a bit simpler.

I think they are playing IWF because they've played it so many times, that they can play it in their sleep. I think they are criss crossing all over the globe lately w/ promos etc AS WELL as some rehearsing of new material that they don't have the time/energy to look for another older song to rehearse and perform. They know that IWF is a crowd favorite and they can't mess it up...smaking it a safe choice....so why bother to try to find another gem from the back catalogue when IWF will serve the prupose.

They still play it really well...and I think people who are just tuning in to SNL or whatever(non U2 fans) will most likely immediatly think "Damn, they still got it"...and it is not one of their over played greatest hits.:wink:

Numb1075 said:
IMHO, i think the reason for IWF being played at every promo gig is a bit simpler.

I think they are playing IWF because they've played it so many times, that they can play it in their sleep. I think they are criss crossing all over the globe lately w/ promos etc AS WELL as some rehearsing of new material that they don't have the time/energy to look for another older song to rehearse and perform. They know that IWF is a crowd favorite and they can't mess it up...smaking it a safe choice....so why bother to try to find another gem from the back catalogue when IWF will serve the prupose.

I think you're right. It's a fairly easy song to play and they know it like the back of their hands.

I Will Follow and Out Of Control are played because they are rock songs. This ties into their whole "this is our first rock'n'roll album" thing. They need to set the tone early, and what better way...

I think U2 are amused by the fact that "I Will Follow" still sounds as fresh and new as their real new material. A sign that your music will stand the test of time.

During a lot of the new songs in NYC, most didn't know any words/music. After playing IWF and OOC...everyone went ballistic!!!!! When they played Vertigo for the second time, everyone was totally pumped up and it made for a better show on tV. The energy was tremendous. :)

bw in dc said:

he doesnt want to leave either one out

Ha. Well, we meet at a local theater/pub, and the band plays loud music, then there's a relevant message about love, acceptance, forgiveness, etc. I'm sure Bono would love it, too. Other songs we do: Where the Streets Have no Name, Lovesong (the Cure). The rest of the songs are mostly originals. We actually just recorded an album of our songs.

lmixristhebest said:
Ha. Well, we meet at a local theater/pub, and the band plays loud music, then there's a relevant message about love, acceptance, forgiveness, etc. I'm sure Bono would love it, too. Other songs we do: Where the Streets Have no Name, Lovesong (the Cure). The rest of the songs are mostly originals. We actually just recorded an album of our songs.

That sound pretty cool. What is the name of your church? I think my catholic church has a long way to go on the coolness scale, but I guess beneath all of the hazy incense, the message is the same.

My church is called The Helix. We're currently associated with the "Foursquare" denomination, but I'm not sure how long that will be for. We're a small community of believers, and it's probably essentially the same basic ideas as what catholics believe. There's a real focus on relationships, and not religiosity, so I find it a refreshing change from traditional churches.

Back
Top Bottom