Whats the deal with Acrobat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oregoropa

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
Why is Acrobat hailed as such a great U2 song on many people's top 25 lists?

Its good, but not great as a musical piece. I think alot of people like the lyrics because they are inspirational in a down and dirty way.

Overrated, Underrated, or Just about right ?

Thoughts . . . ?

I can't speak for everyone, but I love Acrobat for the following reasons:

1. Lyrical masterpiece; first line "don't believe what you hear, don't believe what you see, if you close your eyes, you can feel the enemy." Need I say more?
2. Musically amazing. Edge's guitar work here is very out-of-the ordinary. He is playing a lot diminished and augmented notes (you can hear these in the last chorus). Also, the solo is very special.
3. Intense flow: The drums are very driving and they bring a sense of urgency that most songs don't have.
4. Raw Passion: The song is not polished.

Oregoropa said:
Why is Acrobat hailed as such a great U2 song on many people's top 25 lists?

Its good, but not great as a musical piece. I think alot of people like the lyrics because they are inspirational in a down and dirty way.

Overrated, Underrated, or Just about right ?

Thoughts . . . ?

I think you have a point, I think the song is more loved because of its lyrics than the music. The lyrics are quite angry, almost bitter, and I think people identify with that. Personally, I probably would put it in my top 25, but not near the top, probably at the lower end.

The music is awesome, and so are the lyrics. That's why I love it so much. There's nothing like Acrobat's intro. It is so in your face. The guitars are out of this world. Larry hammers the drums. Adam's bass is pulsating. Bono is belting out 'don't let the bastards ground you down.' The solo is vicious. Acrobat explores the incredible depths of inner conflict.

:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

larry's best drumming on an album track, great lyrics, super great strong voice, and awesome atmospheric guitar........one of my favorite u2 songs

boosterjuice said:
I can't speak for everyone, but I love Acrobat for the following reasons:

1. Lyrical masterpiece; first line "don't believe what you hear, don't believe what you see, if you close your eyes, you can feel the enemy." Need I say more?
2. Musically amazing. Edge's guitar work here is very out-of-the ordinary. He is playing a lot diminished and augmented notes (you can hear these in the last chorus). Also, the solo is very special.
3. Intense flow: The drums are very driving and they bring a sense of urgency that most songs don't have.
4. Raw Passion: The song is not polished.

I couldn't agree more! Sometimes I just have this incredible urge to listen to this song over and over again.

I'd join the movement if there was one I could belive in...I'd drink the wine if there was a church I could recieve in.

This song speaks to my soul every time.

Its a good song, but overrated on these boards. I think that its appeal is limited to diehard fans who love it for its hard edge. It represents a U2 that some people wish existed beyond AB track 11. Its a wormhole to the dark side. Thats cool and all and its nature fills out the album. However, if it was a truely classic song I think U2 would have done it live at some point.

Acrobat is one of the best U2 songs ever. If anything, it is underrated. It is not being praised on this board, I know a lot of U2 fans who adore Acrobat and put it in their top 10 lists. There are a few reasons why this song is a beautiful masterpiece:
1. Bono's vocals and lyrics. Incredibly emotional.
2. The Edge. The riff in the chorus is so simple, but amazing in the sense that only he can produce such a sound. Not to mention that SOLO...
3. And last but not least... LARRY FUCKIN' MULLEN JR. This is his best song. The drum beat is a work of a genius.

Finally some recognition for this great song!

I remember that one being a fast favorite when I got AB but never understood why it was not seen as great by other U2 fans...but I have seen lately in the threads that it is finally being seen for a great song!

:)

You guys have said it all already. ;) I remeber the first time I listened to AB and that song... I can't really explain it, there's just this amazing... atmosphere about it! lol It's definately in my top 10.

Literally... is my TOP 1... really

BEST U2 SONG EVER FOR ME

And practically every person in this forum WANTS TO HEAR IT LIVE... and well played

I often find myself thinking that it was just such a shame that the actual musical side of 'Acrobat' was so shit, especially when the lyrics are stellar, but recently, i've come to realise that the absence of a melodic-esque melody is what makes the song so damn fine.
Acrobat is up there in my top 5 - always has been, always will be.

I've never understood the hype (on here) about Acrobat. The lyrics are good (certainly not great) but the music is crap IMO.

Such an amazing song!!!!! :bow::bow::bow:

When Bono finishes the ".....book has been read" line, Edge´s guitar simply starts to ejaculate notes around everywhere.

I would freak out if they played Acrobat live!!! I would literally melt!
However, didn't Bono say that they were not playing this song live because it sounds better in the studio? I thought I heard that rumor somwhere on boards.

the deal with Acrobat is that it's one of their greatest songs, it's musical perfection just like Achtung Baby is. Every member brings their A game. The lyrics are crazy, the guitar work is insane, and when bono sings "Cause i need it nooowww!!" I get chills everytime :wink:

I'd join the movement if there was one I could believe in,
I'd break bread and wine if there was a church I could recieve in.
Cause I need it NOW!!

I remember reading an article in some U2 'trade publication' when AB came out and gave a track-by-track analysis. It said Acrobat was the best U2 song ever and Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses was the worst ever. Just thought it was interesting at the time.

Back
Top Bottom