Whats the deal with Acrobat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
amazing music and lyrics, no an overplayed song

great Edge solo...

kick ass song :up:

I love Acrobat because it's one of U2's most honest songs. It was written at a time when U2 was struggling in the studio. As such, the song's lyrics reflect genuine self-doubt as to whether or not the band had any more great songs inside them. Coming after the Rattle and Hum backlash, U2 were truly concerned that they were finished and that the weight of expectations would finally crush them (in dreams begin responsibilities).

The best lyrics are murmured before Edge's guitar solo: "What are we going to do now it's all been said, no new ideas in the house and every book has been read".

I must say I like the rousing early version of Acrobat that is found on the Salome bootleg. Also, Acrobat was rehearsed extensively as an acoustic opener seguey-ing into Zoo Station for the fall Outside Broadcast leg of the Zoo TV tour, but they finally elected to discard it.

sv said:
I must say I like the rousing early version of Acrobat that is found on the Salome bootleg. Also, Acrobat was rehearsed extensively as an acoustic opener seguey-ing into Zoo Station for the fall Outside Broadcast leg of the Zoo TV tour, but they finally elected to discard it.

I absolutely 100% agree with you on the salome bootleg. Turn that song up loud and its a religious experience, when Bono shouts and screams it kills me every time. Acrobat and Love is Blindness are my top 2 U2 songs ever, no question. It's underrated because it hasnt been played live. Its turned into a bit of a red hill mining town in that respect, something that hardcore fans would travel across the globe to hear live....

It's definitely one of the "darkest" songs U2 has ever done and I think that is why it appeals to such a large group of people.

Myself included.

Zoocoustic said:
It's definitely one of the "darkest" songs U2 has ever done and I think that is why it appeals to such a large group of people.

Myself included.

I disagree with it being one of the 'darkest' U2 songs ever. It is simply honest (saying 'most honest' is inappropriate - there are no degrees of honesty). Most of U2's lyrics are 'dark' - Bono always likes keeps reality in your face even while he's blowing sunshine up your arse. This song skips the sunshine - skips the bullshit - and gives it to you raw. Yeah, no matter what you try, no matter what you do, you're going to have failures and setbacks. The world and its craziness is going to get to you sometimes. But that doesn't mean you have to give up.

That's where the music comes in. Larry's drumming picks you up and carries you like a wave - it's a no-holds-barred rollercoaster run-for-the-hills rhythm that grabs hold and doesn't let you go. Adam's playing in the lower registers gives the song depth - that kind of gut-thrumming resonance that's both relaxing and exhilarating at the same time. The Edge's bang-jangly guitar punches out the darkness in a dazzling crescendo of light and optimism. This is U2's most definitive song. All four elements come together in the most archtypical U2 fashion. After fifteen years, it is still their most complete work.

just my thoughts...

goat

ACROBAT RULES
i would recommend it to all not u2 fans, because i became a fan just because of ACROBAT

1.Doesn't have The in the name which is great

2.I don't know all the lyrics, but only STREETS, THE FLY and Acrobat can lift me up, spiritually(talking about studio version)

3.LARRY MOTHER FU..ING MULLEN JR. and his best song

4.DA HIS GLORY EDGE on his good way

5.wouldn't complain if there are more songs like it, but there are no!!

6.BONO ISN'T YELLING!!

:rockon: :rockon:

I remember listening to this when I was 14 and not being terribly interested in it. But over the years, it has grown on me to an extent that I can't not listen to this song and admire its angst.

I think you need some life experience -- to get a little lost, to live with frustrations, to live in a house where every book has been read, to rail against the fates -- before you can "get it." (Not to say that people who don't haven't had those experiences...) It's one of those songs where, until your own walls are closing in, you'll likely go, "'Ey, Edge, wot's the fuss about?"

It's lyrical perfection. I don't care for the melody, but the lyrics blew me away the first time I heard it and still do. The recital of the lyrics - the rhythm to which they are sung - is very captivating.

i do care for the melody and that's why i think it's the poorest song on Achtung Baby (not that it's bad song, just surrounded by a lot of other good songs might i add).

Overrated in my opinion.

*waits for the onslaught of abuse*

POSSIBLY my favourite song on 'Achtung, Baby!'

The recording sounds so 'raw' (sorry, I HATE describing songs like that!!) with what I understand are minimal overdubs...! Edge brings some of his most frustrated playing, Bono brings his superb hoarse vocals and gobsmacking lyrics, Adam brings yet another hard, driving bassline and Larry's drumming just seals it all...! The sound he gets out of those drums is just superb!

Definitely one of my favourite U2 songs. Last time I listed songs, it was Number 2. :)

I would kill to hear it when I go to see them in Cardiff (29th June, see ya there, guys! :wink: ) or if U2 DO decide to go ahead with that deal with iTunes to make shows available online soon after the night, then I would do anything to download the first live performance of Acrobat...it would be awesome!

Acrobat is amazing. I rank it third in my list of favourite U2 songs, after WOWY and Streets. The intro is amazing...Edge's solo is amazing...the lyrics are amazing...Larry's drumming is amazing...the entire song just OOZES "amazing".

So, in my opinion, it's not overrated at all.

"You can dream, so dream out loud"

Acrobat should've gone to #1 on the charts in November 1991, and still be there today. 14 years at #1, it's that good to my ears.

ACROBAT its the best they've ever done. its the moment in U2s' history, when all four are in full swing, together and at the same time. and it has the best lyrics.

Back
Top Bottom