What's the best version of bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
the New Year's Show 12-31-89 is probably the best version of Bad. I also like the last Elevation show (12-2-01?) performance of Bad, where they sang a full verse of WGRYWH at the end, great stuff. I know during the Elevation tour they also did some versions where, just like the R&H DVD they started it up again and finished loud, those were great!

BostonAnne and I will agree...the Elevation tour one from Providence. Where he climbed out in the rafter's and sang to Anne's daughter and asked her name...and said a prayer. It was wonderful. :D

I could also say the Live Aid version but that performance is something on its own...it's not really even "Bad" anymore, it's like its own ballad.

Last edited:
I think the best version I've heard (other than the album version) is from June 15, 1992 in Rotterdam. Bono threw in lots of great improvisational stuff, as well as sections of 'All I Want Is You', 'Norwegian Wood' and 'You've Got To Hide Your Love Away'. Very powerful.

Last edited:
Elevation-Boston where they take Bad into Streets.. then again anything into streets usually sounds good (Please from Popmart, All I Want is You from Slane)

live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid live aid
:drool: :drool: :drool: :drool:

I gotta go with the Rattle and Hum version. That was pretty powerful stuff back in the day! I remember being awed by it at the movies!

East Rutherford, April 15th 1985. A chilling, riveting 16-minute version. Incredible.
Other great ones:
Live Aid
Rotterdam, June 15th 1992(wonderful extended Edge solo)
London, August 12th 1993(with the violin)

Last edited:
I have a really, really low-quality recording of a great version from Meadowlands, NJ, on the Unforgettable Fire tour. They do 'Norwegian Wood' and various other things in the middle of it. Does anyone have a good quality bootleg of this?

I can also post, if anyone's interested, the hilarious version of Bad from Milton Keynes in 1985. It's the one where the sequencer breaks down and Bono's introduction goes: 'This is Bad ... this is very bad'.

Neil

Someone said January 10, 1990, Rotterdam and I agree. It blows all other live versions of Bad into the dust. The way Bono *screams* "All I Want Is You" over and over during Edge's solo is amazing. Bono's Lovetown voice was incredible (but not sustainable sadly).

I think as far as the later more restrained versions are concerned, the August 28, 1993, Dublin version is excellent. Just not as good as the band totally on fire during those Lovetown shows.

I agree with AndrewCowley that a lot of hte Lovetown versions are great, haven't heard Jan 10, 1990, but Dec 1,1989 in Osaka is amazing. Bono's vocals are RIGHT on. brilliant performance, unfortunately the recording doesn't pick up the bass too well, but it's still amazing.

The other awesome performance would have to be from OCT 16, 1992 in DC. That concert was one of hte best U2 has ever played.

Back
Top Bottom