Whats the best U2 song to deal with heart break?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I second both One and Your Blue Room. I'm not really fond of One but at these sort of times it's easy to see why it's a great song.

One interpretation of 'One' is that it comes from the perspective of someone who is gay telling thier father. Being heartbroken is like returning in grace either into the arms of friends, family or God even a bottle in some cases. I find that with a broken heart people try to be alone maybe this song will let them know that we need to rely on others for help.

"We have to carry each other."

For some reason, the day my last boyfriend broke up with me, I blasted "Stay" on repeat for hours.

But other songs that have helped me over that heartbreak are, Stuck In A Moment, Walk On, Kite, With Or Without You, One, Running To Stand Still, Miracle Drug (just for the line "I've had enough of romantic love") and ...wow there's probably a lot more.

What about Beautiful Day?
Theres no song more optimistic than that!!
Stay away from unchained melody though!
Or night and day for that matter!!

Or listen to the whole of the unforgettable fire album.
That album is so uplifting and beautiful, it can take you away from all the shit that happened to you and remind you that you were happy before you met her and that you will be happy again. It will show you that there really IS so much beauty in the world still and that everything will be ok.

I know that this is heresy, but if yo want to try a non-u2 album, try long gone before daylight, by the cardigans.
it worked for me bro.

Thanks everyone for your kindness. I've been listening to alot of the songs you all mentioned and now I am listening to the beach clips and it all seems to help alot. The only one that gets me kina emotional is "thank you". Anyway thanks for the suggestions. Getting ovver someone you've loved for 7 years is soooo hard! I can't wait till the day where I stop thinking and hurting over her.

Thanks everyone,
Nico

dabiggestu2fan said:
Thanks everyone for your kindness. I've been listening to alot of the songs you all mentioned and now I am listening to the beach clips and it all seems to help alot. The only one that gets me kina emotional is "thank you". Anyway thanks for the suggestions. Getting ovver someone you've loved for 7 years is soooo hard! I can't wait till the day where I stop thinking and hurting over her.

Thanks everyone,
Nico

i'd hate to sound like a patronising wa@nker but time will heal all your wounds. She will always have a place in your heart and you cannot remove her, but the more the time passes the less things will hurt until you have no pain at all.
Trust me, I've been there mate.
U2 wont help you too much though, most of their love songs are about heartbreak and unrequited love, but you'll make it nevertheless. You'll be amazed that in a few months, something that you thought would kill you, means nothing anymore.

these are all great suggestions, and i understand the part about it being tough to hear certain U2 songs because of her...i have just now been able to listen to With or Without You after like 4 months

Thanks everyone :) I know U2 songs don't all help. I think what will help is when I move back to BC find a new place.. move my stuff out of her place and start a new life and concentrate on my final year of school. Just very hard cos she was the first at MANY things including living together and relationship ended suddenly with no warning with her meeting a new and much richer guy. Ah well thanks again everyone :)

Nico

This may sound odd but "A sort of homecoming"
It was a song that helped me through a bad stretch.Something about going home,like going back to being YOU.Before her.

You don't need goody goody, 'make you feel better' music, that's a charade.

You need music that empathizes with the broken heart.

Listen to Achtung, the whole thing, thematically your broken heart will heal once you understand why it was broke in the fist place. Positive reinforcement is a quick fix, walk thru the pain, face it, make an ass out of yourself 8 or 50 times, re-break your heart, heal and grow.

One of these days when you go through that, you'll realize why Achtung Baby is genius record to so many of us, not because of the quirks of ZooTv or the hooks of One and The Fly, because on the underbelly of that album is a heartbreak, and it's through Bono, when he's at his best, empathetic. Not by yourself, at all.

It's true...Leave it behind...

The song that really saved my life after a breakup was Beautiful Day and Always...

It's not why you're running, it's where you're going...It's not what your dreaming but what you're gonna do...

You know what else Nico, the hurt will end...It might not seem like it now but it's true...

just wait until the right girl comes along.........

After reading through the thread now I agree with the Achtung Baby suggestions...

Unrequited love..the story of my life//

Well I have taken a totally different route than most. I'm completely avoiding U2!

I broke up with my GF two months ago and it's still a day to day struggle, trying to deal with my feelings of hurt/despair/hopelessness. It ain't easy that's all I can say!

Anyway, I'm avoiding U2 because it reminds me of her and probably our happiest moment. She was a concert virgin(save for a Tom Jones concert and I brought her to see Coldplay) so I told her that U2 would completely blow her mind! And it did. We were smack front row, right in front of Bono and I'll tell you the look on her face was priceless. Edge winked at her and she nearly fainted and Adam came right up to her and smiled at her. Needless to say I was very jealous.....of her of course!

By the time, the showstopper, a.k.a Streets, came around she was in heaven. She couldn't stop talking about that concert afterwards.

So everytime I hear U2 I think of her. I'm writing this now because I forced myself to watch the U2 interview on 60 minutes and let me tell you it was hard. I kept picturing her face and all the screaming and yelling she did that night. I almost had to turn it off.

So the beach clips are the first U2 I have heard in 2 months. dabiggestu2fan, whatever you need to do to get over it, you do it. As for me, I'll be fine but I cannot listen to U2 right now (blasphemy I know!)

Cheers

I say Turn it up Loud Captian!! any and all of it.
Seriously love, don't let this person tarnish the music for you. Use the music to rage aganist, cry too and move on with.
Only after you have worked through the pain will you realize how much the music helped you. I promise :heart:

I can't thank everyone enough here. You all are soo nice for your advice and words of encouragement! And as for U2 reminding me of her I know what you meen BonoManiac. My ex was also a concert virgin and then I took her to the vertigo tour in vancouver and we were near the front about 10 feet from the stage and although she wasn't as huge fan as I was, Bono started singning Sometimes you can't make...... and he sang infront of us and at that time I remember her being like a little kid in a candy store. She was so excited and I knew she loved it soo much. I've been to a few U2 concerts in the past even the COBL video shoot but I never did it with my ex. But that night was extra special for me because we shared that together and yes it does remind me of her alot. I am just trying to not listen to some of the songs that remind me of her esp sometimes.

Thanks soo much again. This is one of the MANY reasons i love the people in here!!!! And BonoManiac, I am sorry to hear that it also had to happen to you very recently as well. I know how you feel about the day-to-day struggle but I am sure James and other here are right and eventualy the hurt will end endeed.

Nico

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom