what's the best U2 album for travel?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jack In The Box

Rock n' Roll Doggie ALL ACCESS
tomorrow I will go on a trip to a ghost town far away of civilization, I will make a photographic practice and obviously will take some albums, what is the best option with respect to U2?... was thinking about The Joshua Tree or Rattle And Hum, even in The Unforgettable Fire... but I'm not sure, I want to know opinions

:)

the Joshua Tree for me, it just puts me in a nostalgic mindset because its related to another time in my life so I guess I can drive/remenence about a few years ago I had to go on an emergency trip to las vegas due to my dads health then had to stay there for nearly 3 weeks while he recuperated and the JT was the soundtrack for that trip. I was actually at the Joshua tree national forest and it just seemed soooooo very connected to the area I was at. Plus it was that other romance kind of thing at the time (which I may post about sometime how I got into U2) that just had me in my own space...it really got me through.

What's the weather like?

Summer-> Joshua Tree
Fall->The Unforgettable Fire
Winter->Achtung Baby
Spring->Boy

That's me traveling sounds.

The Unforgettable Fire is fantastic for hilly and mountainous areas. The Joshua Tree for flatter terrain and desert.

right now its HTDAAB but when I go to Miami in a couple weeks, Itll be POP, perfect for that city and weather!

Every summer I have to go on a 30+ hour drive to get from college back to home. During the day, on the flat open spaces of the plains, there's nothing like the Joshua Tree. The intro to One Tree Hill somehow feels just perfect when driving down the interstate through Nebraska or Iowa or the Dakotas or whatever. Everything is perfectly flat, the road is perfectly straight, you're going 80, and U2 coming out of the speakers. Can't get better. Exit works pretty well too.

But if it's night, and you're going through a city, Achtung Baby all the way. Had that playing when going through downtown Chicago at 9pm. Soooooo electric. :)

As for Mexico.... never been, so don't know what to tell ya.

I drove around the desert twice in the last few months and both times I listened to th Joshua Tree. Even my sister who is not a U2 fan said that was a great choice when she went with me.

Achtung Baby is always great too.

If you are traveling across America it has to be Rattle and Hum. You haven't lived until you hear Heartland as you are cross the Mississippi right into the rising sun....

In this Heeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddd........

Shivers, Dalton. You're giving me shivers. If I'm ever near the Mississippi and awake at dawn, I will do that. :) I've crossed the Missouri at sunrise before, but I was heading west (plus the Missouri is way less dramatic).

BTW, I noticed you're in Grand Rapids...so am I. I'm a student at Calvin. Seems like there are a lot of Michiganders here. At least, from what I can tell from my couple months of lurking. :)

I would say October.

The "Jeruuuuuuusaleeeeemmm" in With A Shout sounds awesome traveling down a highway. Gloria is a great driving song too, and dont forget Stranger In A Strange Land. I would definetely go with October. :yes:

Dalton said:
If you are traveling across America it has to be Rattle and Hum. You haven't lived until you hear Heartland as you are cross the Mississippi right into the rising sun....

In this Heeeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarrrrrrrrrrrttttttttttttllllllllaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnndddddddddddddddd........

In Memphis last May - - Heartland on repeat
chills

copy all favorite songs onto tape or cd and play that.

well thats what i do

or just take the whole catalog with you - how far are you travelling?

:wink:

Yeah, if possible, it's really best to just burn an MP3 cd; I was able to fit every U2 album on one disc. It really makes those 35 hours fly by when you have their whole catalog.

*off-topic sorry* Dalton - I'm a Junior this year... though I'm probably taking a 5th year (double major), so I'm not quite halfway done yet, sad. What were ya doin on campus tonight? Dance guild? :)

I'd be happy to. I'll just need the address, of course, then we'll get this show on the road. Anything to put off studying for tommorrow's tests. :)

Nevermind, I found your address on another thread.

Last edited:
I can pretty much listen to any of U2's stuff while driving and stuff...and I have. I know that flipping a coin was suggested, and I think that's probably the best advice possible.

For the record and as a general rule, I find Springsteen's music to be very tailor-made for the road. Listening to The Wild, The Innocent, and The E Street Shuffle or Born To Run while taking long drives is as close to a religious experience as ever I've been. And, hey...if you're going through Nebraska, there's always the near-perfect lo-fi masterpiece, Nebraska.

Rock'n'roll, on-the-road doggies!

i travelled new zealand for 6 weeks when AB was released. i feared the music would spread its magic being back home. but this bad scenario never happened...fortunately. AB is a great album for travelling. every time i hear acrobat and ultraviolet i still see the clouds flowin over auckland...wonderful

Think of songs like Promenade and 4th of July and Bad. They remind me of small towns that smell of old wood and cobbed webs.

i drove cross country from san diego back home through this heartland to chicago.
joshua tree, unforgettable fire and rattle and hum.

Back
Top Bottom