What's the best DVD player to buy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heinz

The Fly
I am about the buy my first DVD player. Any suggestions?

I also want to play games for the first time since we had Tank and Pong in 1974.

Will Sony Playstation 2 give me everything I need?

For xmas I am asking for the U2 DVD and Nascar 2000.

Any input will help....thanks.

i have a sony DVD player. i like it.

------------------
"You can download an atmosphere and dial up a groove, but there's a certain magic when three musicians and a dyslexic get together and play in a room." -Bono

Love,
Emily

Visit my webpage for U2 wallpapers:
www.geocities.com/springtime5348/index.html

The city's desire to take me for more and more...

I have a 'low-end' model Toshiba-I think it's the SD 1600.It was less than $200.00.

I've had it since last Christmas, and have been quite happy with it. I know nothing about games-I only play DVD's and CD's on it.

It depends- if you want one w/ all the 'bells and whistles'-you can always start with a cheaper one and upgrade if you're not happy with it. Just make sure your TV is compatible with whatever you buy-older TV's don't usually have the right connections for DVD.

------------------
If you are really good friends with The Edge, you can just call him The~ Adam

The right side of my brain is kinda redundant~ Larry

I've got a Kenwood 505 model, 5 disc DVD player with all the latest and greatest in hardware, software, and men's wear. Anyways, it utilizes all the latest in Dolby sound technology etc and plays ALL types of DVDs, CD's, and CD-Rs. That is an important consideration. If you are only going to use it to play DVD's then you don't need a high-end model like I have. But I do a considerable amount of U2 trading and it was imperative I have a player that was capable of playing back cd-r's that have been burned. Of course, if you already have a stereo system that is of little importance to you.

Anyways, I would recommend you pay a visit to Circuit City's web-site and check out there DVD player's and prices. They also have a place where consumers actually reveiw the DVD players and I found it to be extremely helpful in helping me reach a decision on which model to buy.

As for the playing of games...I believe that the new X-Box by Microsoft would accomplish both tasks for you...so you may very well want to go that route.

I have a cheap Apex. Paid under $100 and it works fine. From the reviews I've read, unless you want to spend mega-bucks they're all about the same.

Toshiba SD-2700 is a good pick. You can find it online for around $150. I think Toshiba DVD players are the best value for the money. Panasonic and Pioneer make some good models too. Sony is nice, but, like most of their products, overpriced.

For cheaper, you can get your hands on the Apex ones. They're nice, though not as feature-rich. It all depends on how much you actually watch movies.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Foxxern:
Toshiba SD-2700 is a good pick. You can find it online for around $150. I think Toshiba DVD players are the best value for the money. Panasonic and Pioneer make some good models too. Sony is nice, but, like most of their products, overpriced.

For cheaper, you can get your hands on the Apex ones. They're nice, though not as feature-rich. It all depends on how much you actually watch movies.

i'm with you on this one Foxxern, I have the Toshiba 2710 which also plays mp3 cds, only really useful if you have a burner though.
very good video quality when hooked up through component inputs.
don't bother with a progressive scan player, unless you have a digital tv or are getting one soon, they are expensive!
if you want the games your limited to ps2 or xbox. and ps2 already has an established list of games so i would go with that.

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

Originally posted by Busiu:
I've been doing some research into DVD players and I've narrowed my picks down to two.

1. Panasonic DVD-RV31K : DVD-Video/Video CD/CD/MP3
2. Toshiba SD2710: DVD-Video/Video CD/CD/MP3

The Panasonic is $260 and the Toshiba $280 (Canadian Funds). Both are apparently slightly better then the Sony 300&400 and come with more features such as MP3 player. If you go to www.epinions.com, the Panasonic has some excellent reviews.

those are the exact two that it came down to for me. both are excellent, i went with the toshiba though. no real reason except that i just got a toshiba flat screen tv that i am very happy with.

------------------
Kobayashi's bizarre use of colour, superfast editing and extreme camera angles, coupled with a hilariously deadpan performance by Toshiro Takemitsu as the inspector who discovers a whole family of ghosts travelling without valid tickets, remains without peer.

A lot of us showed up at KMART at 7 am on Thanksgiving Day to get their advertised $54 DVD player...they only had 200, and they were gone before most of us got in the store. Oh well, wait until after Christmas, and you can bet there will be more sales of DVDs. Wal-Mart then had the same model the next day, after Thanksgiving, for $59. Again, major disappointment, their sale started at 6 am and gone also. They played everything just like the expensive models, the CD-Rs, etc. But Wal-Mart still has them for under $100 that play everything. It just is cool when you get something like that for $54.

U2live, your K-Mart & Wal-Mart have better prices than ours; they were $69 & $74 here, respectively.

We got APEX one (someone here mentioned it) for $74 for my wife's sister & brother-in-law.

~U2Alabama

I've been doing some research into DVD players and I've narrowed my picks down to two.

1. Panasonic DVD-RV31K : DVD-Video/Video CD/CD/MP3
2. Toshiba SD2710: DVD-Video/Video CD/CD/MP3

The Panasonic is $260 and the Toshiba $280 (Canadian Funds). Both are apparently slightly better then the Sony 300&400 and come with more features such as MP3 player. If you go to www.epinions.com, the Panasonic has some excellent reviews.

------------------
Music is Bombastic!
Visit: www.bombasity.com
i am CANADIAN

Back
Top Bottom