What's so damn special about Japan and Norway anyway?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm from Norway, Martha.

One thing that is special about Norway, is that U2 was NOT here during Elevation. I had to travel to see them! Where did you read that Norway are getting the album earlier than others? I actually don't think so. But maybe they want to make up for not being here on the Elevation tour, and maybe they want to make up for the lemon-breakdown?
And Reggie ... yes it's cold in the winter, but we are not isolated ;). But thanks!

It's amazing how the green eyed monster brings on a bit of country bashing. Tut, tut...... and the flame not even cold on the Olympics.

Anyway I'm from Ireland & you dont hear me boasting about how we'll get the first radio play of the single & album about 2 days before anyone else. Ha, ha, ha..... ha, ha (sorry).

If you've waited 4 years then an extra week wont kill you .

RABIDLAMB said:
It's amazing how the green eyed monster brings on a bit of country bashing. Tut, tut...... and the flame not even cold on the Olympics.

Anyway I'm from Ireland & you dont hear me boasting about how we'll get the first radio play of the single & album about 2 days before anyone else. Ha, ha, ha..... ha, ha (sorry).

If you've waited 4 years then an extra week wont kill you .

I happened to be in Dublin when ALYCLB came out and i noticed that the album slipped onto the Dublin shelves a few days early.. is that standard practice Rabidlamb?

Poor America having to wait like that.

Here in the Netherlands it is coming practice that an album is available on the Friday before the actual street date. This happened with ATYCLB too. In the two days of that week (thus, Friday and Saturday) it still managed to sell more copies than that week's #1 album (Limp Bizkit), so the album entered the top position based on 2 days of sales! :up:

I'm not 100% sure about Ireland jumping the gun on the sale of the album but I was speaking more about the 1st radio play. The Irish DJ, Dave Fanning, who gave them their big leg up back in the late 70's gets all the world exclusives on any new U2 material.

He will have the fist radio play of the single about 2 days before all other radio stations. He also plays the whole album, normally over 2 nights, about 2 weeks before it's official release. The album play is a special night with the sale of 60 minute tapes going through the roof. He will also have a pre-recorded or live interview with the band about the new songs on the same night. For ATYCLB I posted a copy of the tape to my brother in San Francisco & even allowing for the post delay he had that copy a week before it went on general release in the States.

The radio station the Fanning guy works for is 2fm & their web address is 2fm.ie. They have a web link for world transmission & you might also be able to pick them up on one of the SKY TV satelite radio stations. Their website should have this info.

You know that some songs will leak onto the web before any radio station plays it though.

"It's amazing how the green eyed monster brings on a bit of country bashing. Tut, tut...... and the flame not even cold on the Olympics."
-----------------------------

Actually I think Martha was just teasing...

I remember when POP came out, KROQ in Los Angeles played the whole album about a week before. But by that time the album was all over the internet.

Thanks Martha ... but i really think that is a mistake. I read this in a norwegian newspaper, but they seem to always guess ... I don't believe it ... just yet.

Very strange that U2 would release in Norway before rest of the Europe. That doesn't make any sense.

Popmartijn said:
Here in the Netherlands it is coming practice that an album is available on the Friday before the actual street date.
indeedly

I think I'll wait until monday though :D

martha said:

I don't think the band would still hold that against Japan, though.

Exactly! It's kind of a present from the band to Japan for putting up with me. I think I heard every album cover will have a handwritten note from one of the band members saying 'Our sincerest apologies".

this is a good thing, because we're going to have the album on mp3 a week before the release.

w00t!

Back
Top Bottom