What's so bad about Elevation?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

t8thgr8

War Child
I think it's great and always have. The only thing that hits a sour note with me about it is that damned video. The video shouldve had them floating up into the clouds doing things like what the did in the staring at the sun light ring video. And the end could be them slowly rising up into thunderclouds ending in darkness. lightning and shit could be striking about during the climax instead of a battle between good u2/ bad u2. lame.

What i just found in elevation that has me listening a little more than usual is this ringing noise in the background. it kicks in at 54 seconds and ends at 1:10. it does it again the next time around. its really in the distance. it sounds familiar like something off of zooropa. i wish the wouldve pulled this sound in the foreground because it wouldve given elevation a better feel to it. i wonder if theres a way to put this in a mixer program to bring it out. maybe i should ask jic.... wait, nevermind.

anyway, all that you cant leave behind is classic. i hate on it sometimes because you people hate on it. some of you are bad influences. i loved this album until i came around here.

they also shouldve brought out the bells in in a little while. they sound like something in the zylophone family. they made the background noises to quiet on this album. fuckin howie b!!!

all that you cant leave behind WAS a progression from pop. and if it wasnt for the quiet ambiant noises, everyone would agree.

Are you talking about the "dive" submarine alarm? That's what that sound in the background is.

And stop dissing the video! That video is what got me lilking U2 so much in the first place. I saw it in September of 2001 on a show called U2 Does Much on the MuchMusic channel and I thought that was the coolest thing in the world. So what if it's a little goofy? What's wrong with a little humor? (The same goes for the U.S. version of the "Stuck in a Moment" video. That's a funny video!) Besides, Edge is cute and gets a chance to come out of his shell a little.

no the alarm isnt in the background. this noise is far deeper than that. it sounds like a noise edge would make if he plucked the tights part of the strings by the knobs with a real deep echo effect. do do de do do do da di do do de do do do da di (echoed)

im sorry but the video is the lamest thing ever

Last edited:
Both the song and the video are plainly good, rockin' fun.

And anyone who doesn't like either of them are humorless, heartless drones.

Not like us true fans.

:sexywink:

But seriously, Elevation really doesn't deserve the bad rap it gets on here sometimes.

I think it's a good song. Good hook, interesting arrangement (love the middle eight). Stupid lyrics, but that's forgivable. It fits into ATYCLB perfectly (it would be way too downbeat without this song, "Beautiful Day" notwithstanding) and made a great opener for the associated tour.

But it didn't make a very good single, partly because it's not a song you want to hear that often. Also, the video was a sin against humanity.

And the song is not worthy of being a concert staple anymore. If they played it every once in a while like "Until the End of the World" now, that'd be fine, but every fucking show without missing a beat? That sucks.

We all realize that the the only reason the video was like that is because they had allowed the song to be used on the Tomb Raider soundtrack and there was probably an agreement therein to make the video promote both U2's causes and the movie's causes, right?. That is why the video is like that, so that Angelina Jolie(Laura Croft) can save 'real' Edge.

I really think that the Elevation video and song are meant to be symbolic of the plight of Africa and its people....

My reasoning basically relies on the fact there were elephants and giraffes in the video:wink:

Elevation was one of the highlights of my U2 concerts. I really don't understand its poor reputation here. Might have something to do with the fact it's not on AB/Zooropa/Pop.

typhoon said:

And the song is not worthy of being a concert staple anymore. If they played it every once in a while like "Until the End of the World" now, that'd be fine, but every fucking show without missing a beat? That sucks.

its a fun song and i have enjoyed it at the shows, but its a song that could really be rotated with other, better songs.

I like that U2 has a big, dumb song that's just FUN. It gets me all riled up. :wink:

The video is lame, but it's a video for a song from a movie - you're not going to get Art.

Axver said:
Elevation was one of the highlights of my U2 concerts. I really don't understand its poor reputation here. Might have something to do with the fact it's not on AB/Zooropa/Pop.

i'm forced to agree with you:|

:wink:

is it the best song in their catalogue? no. are the lyrics great? no. does the song work live? absoultly. it's a fun little rock song that has a pretty good live dynamic.

Axver said:

Exactly!

If Elevation was on Pop (and believe you me it ain't a million miles removed from Pop stylistically and conceptually speaking), many of you Elevation bashers would be starting "Elevation appreciation" threads and complaining that isn't in the current setlist.

yes, I also think Elevation would find a place on POP, just it wouldn't be called Elevation, it would be a song about... "something" (and it's from a person that doesn't care about the lyrics) and it wouldn't have a video made by "MTV" type of directors who also make videos for boybands (like all ATYCLB videos)...

But yes, the song was good live on this tour, even if half of the people didn't know the song (when they started to play it my friend asked me if it's Discotheque:| )

Great song, cool video.

It's a fun little ditty, so i think they wanted to do something really cool and funny for the video...Edge Looks hilariously serious in all those scenes!! i LOVE it!!

Plus Evil Bono, aka, MacPhisto '01 version, LOL!!!!

I love that silly side of U2, it's such a U2 song, lol!!!

One thing is certain, ALWAYS puts me in a great mood!!

Great song! Loved it at Cardiff, everyone just had a good time listening to a harmless 'rock-out'

Axver said:

Yeah, it rocks live.

It's not on of my favourites, the lyrics are lame, but it's ok. I rarely listen to it on the album but live it fits well.

corianderstem said:
I like that U2 has a big, dumb song that's just FUN. It gets me all riled up. :wink:

The video is lame, but it's a video for a song from a movie - you're not going to get Art.

I think the HMTMKMKM IS art, one of their best videos. And it's from a movie.

But elevation is one of my favourites songs, and I agree that the video is boring...

Elevation is one of U2's classic songs, bad lyrics, but it ROCKS, I loved it on first listen, and will always love it.

innocent_eyes said:
Great song, cool video.

It's a fun little ditty, so i think they wanted to do something really cool and funny for the video...Edge Looks hilariously serious in all those scenes!! i LOVE it!!

Plus Evil Bono, aka, MacPhisto '01 version, LOL!!!!

I love that silly side of U2, it's such a U2 song, lol!!!

One thing is certain, ALWAYS puts me in a great mood!!

I agree wholeheartedly on your opinion! :). It's such an awesome song to play at their concerts too really get's you moving!

bathiu said:
yes, I also think Elevation would find a place on POP, just it wouldn't be called Elevation, it would be a song about... "something" (and it's from a person that doesn't care about the lyrics) and it wouldn't have a video made by "MTV" type of directors who also make videos for boybands (like all ATYCLB videos)...

But yes, the song was good live on this tour, even if half of the people didn't know the song (when they started to play it my friend asked me if it's Discotheque:| )

"Something..."...hmmm.....just like 'Discotheque' is about 'something.' I think what you're trying to say is that music cannot be good if it is fun.

As far as the video goes, who cares? In the end, it's all about the music, isn't it?

There;s nothing bad about any perticular album, it is all a matter of opinion and subject of personal taste and it should be left at that.

I like Elevation, I think it's really good performed live aswell.

The video isnt too bad, the idea of it is to just fit in with Tomb Raider, however....

The lyric "a mole diggin in a hole" is really pitiful! :tsk:

t8thgr8 said:
no the alarm isnt in the background. this noise is far deeper than that. it sounds like a noise edge would make if he plucked the tights part of the strings by the knobs with a real deep echo effect. do do de do do do da di do do de do do do da di (echoed)

I know exactly what you're talking about....I've just always thought it was an acoustic guitar with really weird effects on it.

it's a shitty song with even worse lyrics.

it screams "please play us, mainstream radio! look, we can rip off blur's song 2 and not even blush while doing it!"

Back
Top Bottom